Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2016, 06:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

All I can tell you is that I live near Tyler and everything is still green around here from all the rain we got in the fall. Lakes are full and water levels are healthy. Yes, it's hot but I expect it to be hot - it's summer in Texas. It is what it is. I'd rather deal with hot summer days than lots of rainy, overcast days much of the year, or heavy snow and ice in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 06:57 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
It is much better to have the dry season in winter than in summer (in terms of maintaining greenery). Since winter is cooler than summer, evaporation off the ground is weaker, so the same amount of rainfall that can dry off in an instant in summer can cause long periods of ground sogginess in winter. Thus, so far the rainfall is of a decent enough amount, plant greenery can be maintained in winter; this is more true the cooler the winter climate is. The higher evaporation in summer then gets cancelled out/or reversed, in the rainy peak.

With that said, the Indian Monsoon is too extreme for year-round greenery in many areas; the rainfall is basically confined to summer, and, on top of that, there is severe periods of heat before the monsoon arrives. Very warm-hot temps are seen in winter as well, and, combined with little rainfall, can be stressful to plants. It is so bad, that the trees evolved to be "tropical-deciduous," wherein leaves are dropped during the "dry season." Places with more significant rainfall in the "dry season" are able to maintain lush character year-round, such as Tampa:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa,_Florida#Climate

New Orleans is "dry" in March and October relative to the rest of the year; both months still receive quite a bit of rainfall. New Orleans is wetter in March than Austin in terms of totals, and is only slightly drier in October; Austin, however, has more frequent March rain days, but less frequent October rain days.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin,_Texas#Climate
Rain during the winter is actually more beneficial than the summer, for the reasons you listed above. Rain during the winter counts more according to Koppen climate models. The reason why is less evaporation. So, that's why Los Angeles with only 15 inches of rain isn't classified as semi-arid but instead Mediterranean. When Los Angeles gets a good soaking rain in January or February, that can last several months. When Phoenix gets a soaking rain in July, a lot is lost to evaporation. That causes high humidity which serves no good. Humidity causes things to be uncomfortable and serves no purpose in greening things up. Basically, winter rain is more "efficient" than summer rain.

So, if you want to maximize greenery and also sunshine, a Mediterranean climate is the only suitable one.

To me an ideal climate would be around 5 inches of rain December through March, around 2 inches in April and November, and 0 inches the rest of the year. 24 inches which would be plenty to have good ground moisture throughout the year.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:50 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Although it was hot on my deck tonight, there were no mosquitoes. No mosquitoes = heaven. In Louisiana you can never go outside past 5 PM year round. If you do, you will get eaten alive within 30 seconds. Yuck, I will take dry heat over humidity any day.
So when are you moving to the desert, because Austin doesn't have dry heat.

But more humid heat for me. My skin is amazing.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
So when are you moving to the desert, because Austin doesn't have dry heat.

But more humid heat for me. My skin is amazing.
I'm from Louisiana. This is dry heat for me! :

Old 08-12-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All I can tell you is that I live near Tyler and everything is still green around here from all the rain we got in the fall. Lakes are full and water levels are healthy. Yes, it's hot but I expect it to be hot - it's summer in Texas. It is what it is. I'd rather deal with hot summer days than lots of rainy, overcast days much of the year, or heavy snow and ice in the winter.
Yeah, the trees in most parts of the state are doing okay due to the extra rain we received, but in a normal year (whatever that is), with this low amount of precipitation over the past two months, things would not be looking so good. Have you ever had to rake up leaves in 100 degree weather? Not fun.

I don't want us to be the Pacific Northwest. Just a few more inches in summer and a few less in winter would be nice.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I'm from Louisiana. This is dry heat for me! :
I'm from Southeast Texas. Austin still isn't dry.

And this also isn't a normal year. What are you going to do if Austin has a wet summer next year and the year after that?

Old 08-12-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I'm from Southeast Texas. Austin still isn't dry.

And this also isn't a normal year. What are you going to do if Austin has a wet summer next year and the year after that?
No big deal really. A wet summer in Austin is nothing like a wet summer in Louisiana.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:01 AM

455 posts, read 464,161 times
When I was a line manager I told the people who report to me that they could come to me and complain about anything--as long as it was in our power to change it. For example, entry level staff were given company cars and I told them never to come complain to me about the color. They were given a "free" car and I wasn't going to waste my time on that kind of complaint. Now if the complaint or suggestion was something that we could influence, I'd charge the hill for them.

The weather post about how TX is getting ripped off reminds me of those complaints i don't want to hear. And yea, i get that it's not a complaint. I've lived in TX since 1971 and I don't complain about the drought, the heat, the humidity, or the blue northers. It is what it is and complaining about the weather ain't gonna change it. I've learned to cope with weather extremes by ignoring it and focusing on other things.

By the way, one of my favorite quotes from TX pioneer days is, "Only fools and newcomers predict the weather in Texas!"

To the OP, don't take this as being negative. I'm just saying it's irrelevant to me. Might be of benefit to some who are geekier about weather than I. (And I am to a certain extent.)

Old 08-12-2016, 10:27 AM

470 posts, read 455,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, but why is that the case? Why so robbed of rain, even though so very humid?

Old 08-12-2016, 10:46 AM

470 posts, read 455,270 times
Quote:
Rain during the winter is actually more beneficial than the summer, for the reasons you listed above. Rain during the winter counts more according to Koppen climate models. The reason why is less evaporation. So, that's why Los Angeles with only 15 inches of rain isn't classified as semi-arid but instead Mediterranean. When Los Angeles gets a good soaking rain in January or February, that can last several months. When Phoenix gets a soaking rain in July, a lot is lost to evaporation. That causes high humidity which serves no good. Humidity causes things to be uncomfortable and serves no purpose in greening things up. Basically, winter rain is more "efficient" than summer rain.

So, if you want to maximize greenery and also sunshine, a Mediterranean climate is the only suitable one.

To me an ideal climate would be around 5 inches of rain December through March, around 2 inches in April and November, and 0 inches the rest of the year. 24 inches which would be plenty to have good ground moisture throughout the year.

Nope, humid tropical/subtropical climates with evenly spread rainfall are the best for greenery/sunshine (see Miami, Tampa, etc). Remember, the "dry season" is relative; winter rain totals in those Florida cities are decent, just that they pale in comparison to summer totals. Many US South cities get more rain in winter than LA does; they also get much more rain in summer. High summer rain, when combined with high enough winter totals, can completely cancel evapotranspiration's degradation on plants.

Los Angeles barely avoids being semi-arid; the Med classification comes more from the rain pattern, rather than total, anyways.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles#Climate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas