Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 04:54 AM

154 posts, read 197,692 times

Advertisements

Not being from Texas, or even from the US, can someone tell me why Austin repeatedly is referred to as the No.1 (or atleast top 5) hipster city in the US while I also read that other cities in Texas such as El Paso, Fort Worth, San Antonio and more often are listed as 'least hipster cities' in the US?

I mean sure, Austin is a big city but so is San Antonio and Houston, and sure Austin is democrat voting, but so is El Paso, what is it about Austin?

I am asking because I am thinking about moving away from (mega-hipster liberal) Sweden to Texas and I am looking for a city with low hipster population and lot of country music culture (as I love country music, as well as dry heat, solid job market and low crime). So maybe El Paso is the one?

Old 11-03-2016, 06:46 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
I'd say Ft. Worth may be best for your needs.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:45 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradpaisley94 View Post
Not being from Texas, or even from the US, can someone tell me why Austin repeatedly is referred to as the No.1 (or atleast top 5) hipster city in the US while I also read that other cities in Texas such as El Paso, Fort Worth, San Antonio and more often are listed as 'least hipster cities' in the US?

I mean sure, Austin is a big city but so is San Antonio and Houston, and sure Austin is democrat voting, but so is El Paso, what is it about Austin?

I am asking because I am thinking about moving away from (mega-hipster liberal) Sweden to Texas and I am looking for a city with low hipster population and lot of country music culture (as I love country music, as well as dry heat, solid job market and low crime). So maybe El Paso is the one?

All of TX has what you're looking for, as you must know if you're into country music. Fort Worth has a solid music scene, but Austin's is on another level. I wouldn't let the presence of a few hipsters keep me from enjoying all that Austin offers. I'm sure you can find your tribe in Austin. I don't know El Paso well enough to comment. I'd strongly recommend visiting those three (and San Antonio) in person to get a feel for how your life would be in each. I wouldn't put much stock in "lists" of most or least hipster cities! Visit in person.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:07 AM

5,263 posts, read 6,399,224 times
Ft Worth doesn't have dry heat. It's insanely humid there in the summer. El Paso does, as it's basically in the high desert.

AUstin is more hipster because it has a huge university (50,000 college-aged kids) and most of which are relatively wealthy and as such can concentrate on 'hipster' things. Ft Worth's local university is much smaller (15,000 at most) and as such has a smaller 'gravitational pull' on the city.

Only small areas of Austin are actually 'hipster', most the city is generic suburbs you'd find anywhere in the US. Most of Ft Worth is the same suburbia though it's downtown and stockyards areas are pretty cool.

El Paso's university is much poorer and much more hispanic, and generally nobody refers to hispanic people as 'hipster' even if they like the same things as whites. It's a cultural thing.

Neither El Paso or Ft Worth have super great job markets. Ft Worth is absolutely dominated by the east side of the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex. But job prospects really depend on what your job is, so either one may be great for your specific industry.

Portland, Seattle, Boston, NYC, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Washington DC, and Minneapolis MN are all way more 'hipster' than Austin is - it's actually way overrated in that department due to the big college and music and movie festivals.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:19 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradpaisley94 View Post

Austin is humid.It does not have dry heat.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:12 AM

If you are looking for dry heat with no hipsters, I'd check Albuquerque NM, Phoenix AZ, or Sacramento CA in addition to El Paso.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:28 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Austin soaks up much of the hipsterism in Texas and Middle America. It's a combination of having the second-largest state's flagship university (educated liberals) in a relatively pretty location (attracts creative people and environmentalists) in a state with a high-tech economy (techies). Fort Worth is your best bet in my opinion.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Ft Worth doesn't have dry heat. It's insanely humid there in the summer. El Paso does, as it's basically in the high desert.
Insanely humid? It's pretty tame, actually. Compared to the desert SW it's humid, compared to Louisiana, or other states in the deep south it's quite dry.

Quote:
AUstin is more hipster because it has a huge university (50,000 college-aged kids) and most of which are relatively wealthy and as such can concentrate on 'hipster' things. Ft Worth's local university is much smaller (15,000 at most) and as such has a smaller 'gravitational pull' on the city.

Only small areas of Austin are actually 'hipster', most the city is generic suburbs you'd find anywhere in the US. Most of Ft Worth is the same suburbia though it's downtown and stockyards areas are pretty cool.

El Paso's university is much poorer and much more hispanic, and generally nobody refers to hispanic people as 'hipster' even if they like the same things as whites. It's a cultural thing.
This is just ridiculous. There are most definitely hispanic hipsters, both in the US and in Spain, Mexico, and all of Latin America. Take a look at Malasaña neighborhood of Madrid or La Condesa of Mexico City.

Quote:
Neither El Paso or Ft Worth have super great job markets. Ft Worth is absolutely dominated by the east side of the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex. But job prospects really depend on what your job is, so either one may be great for your specific industry.

Portland, Seattle, Boston, NYC, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Washington DC, and Minneapolis MN are all way more 'hipster' than Austin is - it's actually way overrated in that department due to the big college and music and movie festivals.
I agree here, although the whole concept of "hipster" is of questionable worth.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Insanely humid? It's pretty tame, actually. Compared to the desert SW it's humid, compared to Louisiana, or other states in the deep south it's quite dry.
By dewpoint, you are incorrect. Austin, just like all of TX that's not a desert, has dew points of 70Fplus the entire summer. Sure, Louisiana and Houston are both more humid than Austin, but the difference is more like 5F degrees of dew point vs Denver or El Paso which is 20F-30F degrees of dew point in the summer. A dew point of 70F or higher is considered to be very humid to oppressive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew_point

Quote:
This is just ridiculous. There are most definitely hispanic hipsters, both in the US and in Spain, Mexico, and all of Latin America. Take a look at Malasaña neighborhood of Madrid or La Condesa of Mexico City.
Alright fine fair enough. Nobody in the US would refer to an area of a city in the US of mostly hispanics as 'hipster' even if they like the same things as US whites. If there is such an area, you're going to have to find it for me and I'll guarantee you it's an outlier.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
By dewpoint, you are incorrect. Austin, just like all of TX that's not a desert, has dew points of 70Fplus the entire summer. Sure, Louisiana and Houston are both more humid than Austin, but the difference is more like 5F degrees of dew point vs Denver or El Paso which is 20F-30F degrees of dew point in the summer. A dew point of 70F or higher is considered to be very humid to oppressive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew_point

Right, only you weren't talking about Austin, but rather Fort Worth. FW's average dew points never get over 70; typically from June to Sept. they are in the 60s, which as the graph in your link designates as slightly outside of the "comfortable" range.

Quote:
Alright fine fair enough. Nobody in the US would refer to an area of a city in the US of mostly hispanics as 'hipster' even if they like the same things as US whites. If there is such an area, you're going to have to find it for me and I'll guarantee you it's an outlier.
Again, you're changing things. You said that hispanic people aren't referred to as 'hipster,' which is just ludicrous. You're generalizing way too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas