Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:52 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times

Advertisements

Aww TGH, I don't take it as an attack I can agree with that. When I was a teenager and started babysitting my mom told me to never take matters of discipline into my own hands, or in other words, not to discipline how I personally would. Parents each have their own way of dealing with things so just follow their lead and don't worry Good for you for being a great Aunt and 2nd mom. I keep my oldest niece (5 yrs. old) every day after school and my sister gave me permission to spank her if she does something terrible but I never do and never could. It just feels wrong to me to do that to her especially since she's not actually my kid. I would feel that way about any kid in my care. They do respond pretty well to talking too. I also would hate to have the reputation of being the grouchy, mean aunt

I have a few friends and even a sister who don't have kids, either because they don't ever want them or just not yet. All of them are Aunts and they love their nieces and nephews dearly, but they all tell me the best part of it is that they get to send them back home at the end of the day. One of my friends loves to teach hers all kinds of new things that she thinks her sister will be aggravated by (like certain alternative music, some sort of bad habit) and then send them home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 09:24 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,373,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Aww TGH, I don't take it as an attack I can agree with that. When I was a teenager and started babysitting my mom told me to never take matters of discipline into my own hands, or in other words, not to discipline how I personally would. Parents each have their own way of dealing with things so just follow their lead and don't worry Good for you for being a great Aunt and 2nd mom. I keep my oldest niece (5 yrs. old) every day after school and my sister gave me permission to spank her if she does something terrible but I never do and never could. It just feels wrong to me to do that to her especially since she's not actually my kid. I would feel that way about any kid in my care. They do respond pretty well to talking too. I also would hate to have the reputation of being the grouchy, mean aunt

I have a few friends and even a sister who don't have kids, either because they don't ever want them or just not yet. All of them are Aunts and they love their nieces and nephews dearly, but they all tell me the best part of it is that they get to send them back home at the end of the day. One of my friends loves to teach hers all kinds of new things that she thinks her sister will be aggravated by (like certain alternative music, some sort of bad habit) and then send them home.
Thanks Love Roses. I have to say that I would have gladly kept my 2 nephews and niece full time if my sister would have allowed it. I love them to pieces. My niece was killed in a car accident at the age of 15. (14 years ago) I feel the void as much as my sister does.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:49 PM

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry

Old 03-04-2009, 02:14 PM

593 posts, read 1,378,357 times
Mom would make me pick the switch from the tree that she would use to switch me.

Then, there was the buckle end of the belt. Or an old leather razor strap.

Or the one time she came home and cut the cord off the TV with a pair of scissors and whipped me with it.

Yeah, those are hillarious memories. And, you're right. Kids and parents today are big sissies.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:30 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,373,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Homeboy View Post
Mom would make me pick the switch from the tree that she would use to switch me.

Or the one time she came home and cut the cord off the TV with a pair of scissors and whipped me with it.

Yeah, those are hillarious memories. And, you're right. Kids and parents today are big sissies.
OUCH!

Old 03-04-2009, 02:40 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,313,003 times
No spankins black kids got that butts whipped or hit with a switch you got in line quickly.
Parents stop whippin kids and started to compromise, Bring back the belt, we wonder why kids
are the way they are today. Spare the rod spoil the child

Old 03-04-2009, 04:54 PM

869 posts, read 2,954,923 times
what??? am I the only one that got the fly swatter???

Old 03-04-2009, 09:43 PM

No, I actually got that one a couple of times

Old 03-04-2009, 09:54 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
I'll never forget being told by my mom to 'go pick a switch'. I came back with a little piddly thing, and was promptly sent back out to get a bigger one. I got more of a spanking than I would have if I'd gotten a bigger 'switch' in the first place.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Homeboy View Post

I think I hear dripping sarcasm here. One of the reasons my dad had to quit spanking me is that ONCE, in a drunken stupor, he beat me (notice I don't say spanked) with the buckle end of the belt. That's one kind of spanking I would NEVER recommend. Actually, that doesn't even count as a spanking and I can still remember how bad that hurt.

Again, I'm not traumatized as an adult by it, but that's overboard even for me, who's not against spanking. Even cutting the cord off the tv is a little out there to me. I think a hand would have been more convenient

I wouldn't call them sissies. Some people have different views. I think as long as discipline happens when necessary, whether it entails talk/grounding/alt. means or corporal that's a good thing. Where I think it's a problem is when a parent just flat out ignores a kid, never does any sort of discipline at all and lets the kid run around like a maniac and pretends nothing happened. After a certain age I don't think kids even need spankings. I don't think I even got any more spankings after the 4th grade. I think 3 and under it's not good either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas