Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Biggest Texas NBA rivalry
Rockets-Spurs 17 51.52%
Rockets-Mavs 5 15.15%
Mavs-Spurs 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 01:05 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
True, but both of those series were a long time ago. What about this decade?
Last time the Mavs and Spurs played in a playoff series was 2014. A very competitive 7 game series and Dallas was the 8th seed that year. Before that, it was 2010. That is this decade alone so it wasn't that long ago. Carlisle and Pop have had great matchups. Lately, as in the past 2 years, with the Mavs decline and the Rockets becoming good again has changed things but to say Rockets/Spurs easily is where I disagree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 01:20 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I didn't realize we were in the 4th millennium already or the 31st century. I could have sworn it was 2017 and not 3017. The Spurs have played the Rockets this decade one time and that was this past May. The Spurs have played the Mavs this decade in the playoffs three times. How exactly is it easily Spurs-Rockets again since 2015 is only two years old ago. Rivalries take more time than that to form. Two years does not make a rivalry and one matchup in the playoffs (first since 1995) does not make one either.

Since this millennium began, The Spurs and Mavs have easily been the basketball rivalry in Texas. They have met in the playoffs six times since 2001. The Spurs have won 20 games and the Mavs have won 16. Four of those six series went 6 or 7 games.
To sum up your post, you're saying from this specific time to this specific time it was Mavs and Spurs. I suppose something like 2003-2015 would be what you're saying.

Just because that given time frame, the more dominant rivalry was Mavs-Spurs, that has no effect to what it was before that time frame and to what it is now. Why are you bringing up 3017? That just makes no sense. Regardless, however you want to make it sound, whatever specific time frames you use, Mavs Spurs aren't a serious rivalry right now, nor were they in the 90s. In the 90s it was Rockets-Spurs and right now it's Rockets and Spurs again. Despite your definition of a Millenium, this is what it is.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:20 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,053,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Last time the Mavs and Spurs played in a playoff series was 2014. A very competitive 7 game series and Dallas was the 8th seed that year. Before that, it was 2010. That is this decade alone so it wasn't that long ago. Carlisle and Pop have had great matchups. Lately, as in the past 2 years, with the Mavs decline and the Rockets becoming good again has changed things but to say Rockets/Spurs easily is where I disagree with.
I actually completely forgot about that series but you're totally right. I do see your point. Especially since before last year, the Spurs had actually never beaten the Rockets in a playoff series in franchise history, while the Mavs and Spurs have had a bunch of competitive series.

With that said, given where the Mavs are right now (and since about 2015 or so) I don't think they have much of a rivalry with either team. I also think that outside of that period from about 2001-2014, the biggest rivalry was Rockets-Spurs, especially in the 90s. I wasn't watching basketball in the 80s, but both the Mavs and Spurs were bad through the majority of that decade and I'm not sure any of the teams had built a history against each other at that point to the extent necessary to create a rivalry.

I still think it's Rockets-Spurs, but I definitely get why many would see it as Mavs-Spurs.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:04 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I actually completely forgot about that series but you're totally right. I do see your point. Especially since before last year, the Spurs had actually never beaten the Rockets in a playoff series in franchise history, while the Mavs and Spurs have had a bunch of competitive series.

With that said, given where the Mavs are right now (and since about 2015 or so) I don't think they have much of a rivalry with either team. I also think that outside of that period from about 2001-2014, the biggest rivalry was Rockets-Spurs, especially in the 90s. I wasn't watching basketball in the 80s, but both the Mavs and Spurs were bad through the majority of that decade and I'm not sure any of the teams had built a history against each other at that point to the extent necessary to create a rivalry.

I still think it's Rockets-Spurs, but I definitely get why many would see it as Mavs-Spurs.
Yeah I agree about how the Mavs-Spurs were during its time. But what isn't seemed to get comprehended is that time is up. You don't throw a specific time frame and say it was the bigger rivalry in that time. Facts are Rockets and Spurs were the bigger rivalry in the 90s and it's the biggest rivalry today

Old 08-25-2017, 03:38 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,538,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Yeah I agree about how the Mavs-Spurs were during its time. But what isn't seemed to get comprehended is that time is up. You don't throw a specific time frame and say it was the bigger rivalry in that time. Facts are Rockets and Spurs were the bigger rivalry in the 90s and it's the biggest rivalry today
Largely because Dirk is still playing and so are Manu and Parker. Cuban is still the owner and Pop is still the coach. It feels like the rivalry is still alive to me although not as good as it was earlier this decade and last decade. .

Old 08-25-2017, 04:35 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Have the Rockets- Mavs ever had much of a rivalry?
No. The Mavs have been garbage for most of their history so this rivalry never really developed. When Houston was going to the NBA finals in the 80s and winning championships in the 90s, the mavericks were afterthoughts. When they started winning in the 2000s, Houston was mediocre. The 2 franchises were never really on solid footing at the same time the way S.A. and Houston have been.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
To sum up your post, you're saying from this specific time to this specific time it was Mavs and Spurs. I suppose something like 2003-2015 would be what you're saying.

Just because that given time frame, the more dominant rivalry was Mavs-Spurs, that has no effect to what it was before that time frame and to what it is now. Why are you bringing up 3017? That just makes no sense. Regardless, however you want to make it sound, whatever specific time frames you use, Mavs Spurs aren't a serious rivalry right now, nor were they in the 90s. In the 90s it was Rockets-Spurs and right now it's Rockets and Spurs again. Despite your definition of a Millenium, this is what it is.
Because 2001 is still the same millennium as 2017. You are talking as if the Mavs were good a millennia ago. If that is what you mean by 2011, then I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps you meant decade. It was the Rockets-Spurs in the 90s. However, since the 90s, it has easily been Mavs-Spurs and it has been that way up until at least 2014. That's 14 years of great competition, memorable playoff series, and hall of fame players and coaches. It has only recently gone back to Spurs-Rockets because of one recent playoff series between the two. Which is still lesser than as many playoff series the Mavs-Spurs have played against each other even in this decade thus far. In the 2000s, the Mavs and Spurs went to 4 combined NBA Finals including three in a row from 2005-2007. The Rockets-Spurs matchup do not match this form of success in the 90s or today. When the Mavs-Spurs rivalry was at its height, the teams combined to go to 5 NBA finals winning 4 of them (2003-2011). Again, the Rockets-Spurs do not match this form of success in the 90s or today. So far, this millennium, it has been the Mavs-Spurs. Both teams won over 50 and sometimes 60 games per season. Once again, you get the idea.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
You're doing the same time period. You're focusing on the 90s. I am on the 00s and early 10s. The Spurs had a more competitive rivalry with the Mavs in 00's/10s than with the Rockets in the 90s. More playoff matchups and championships won by both teams.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:06 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times
Folks just have short term memory. The Mavs vs. Spurs rivalry was better and way more intense then the current Rockets vs Spurs rivalry. It would be nice to see a Houston vs Dallas rivalry one day. At this point in time it doesn't exist IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: