Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 01:06 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
El Paso, San Antonio, and the valley are all still pretty cheap. They are all probably less desirable than Austin, Houston, or Dallas though.
All depends on what someone's looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 05:39 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
What you're describing is happening in Texas has already happened in Seattle, NJ, California, and a variety of other places. People like a place, economy booms, other people move in, prices rise, and continues to do so until some economic shock stops the expansion. It's not unique to Texas at all.

Even in the case of California, millions of natives have left the state due to being priced out. I know people who grew up in California and most of their friends, family and neighbors that they grew up with have left for exactly those reasons. That's capitalism, and that's life. No reason to be mad at them because they made the best decision for themselves and their families, as any of us would also do.
I'll think however I like.... If it were up to me, they wouldn't be allowed to move to Texas in the first place

Old 10-30-2017, 05:40 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
San Antonio is definitely becoming more popular

Old 10-30-2017, 09:21 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I'll think however I like.... If it were up to me, they wouldn't be allowed to move to Texas in the first place
Build the wall right... build the wall around Texas and keep everyone out.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:05 PM

343 posts, read 306,931 times
Quote:
San Antonio is definitely becoming more popular
I don't really see that.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:19 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Who has mentioned the Midwest? I read California, New Jersey, and Seattle. All places are insanely expensive to live in. Which means the wages are much higher. Which means when they have spent their entire living there, they have more savings than they would if they lived in Texas. Because if they are saving 20% or whatever for retirement, that 20% will obviously be higher if you live in a higher paying state. So, with all the extra money, they buy houses that they wouldn't be able to afford in California or New Jersey, so that outprices people that have spent their lives in Texas and made Texas wages. Which means they have to settle for a smaller house or pay more out of their pocket to live in THEIR community that was ruined by your liberals. I really don't think you needed a 19 year old to explain this one to you.

Then you have the hipsters who simply can't afford to live in NYC or San Fransisco so they settle for Austin or even San Antonio and they create their little gay communities which our horrifying for what was once a family filled city.

In short, the liberals need to go back
Oh my goodness. If a house on Strait Lane, for example, is listed at 2.5 million then it is listed at 2.5 million. It doesn't matter if a potential buyer is from California or Lubbock, TX. Yes folks from places like California and NYC get more house for their money here. That's one of the draws and that's how we market our state. How their politics would play into this scenario, I have no idea. As for your comment about "hipsters" not being able to afford NYC or San Francisco (I fixed that for you) and creating "little gay communities" in Austin and San Antonio, grow up. You sound EXACTLY 19.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
What you're describing is happening in Texas has already happened in Seattle, NJ, California, and a variety of other places. People like a place, economy booms, other people move in, prices rise, and continues to do so until some economic shock stops the expansion. It's not unique to Texas at all.

Even in the case of California, millions of natives have left the state due to being priced out. I know people who grew up in California and most of their friends, family and neighbors that they grew up with have left for exactly those reasons. That's capitalism, and that's life. No reason to be mad at them because they made the best decision for themselves and their families, as any of us would also do.
Child is 19 and knows everything. Yes, it's called capitalism and it cracks me up when people that complain about so called "liberals" don't get that.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
El Paso, San Antonio, and the valley are all still pretty cheap. They are all probably less desirable than Austin, Houston, or Dallas though.
The valley is, didn't think of that area because no major cities. San Antonio, mmmm, not sure. Possibly not as cheap as people from out of state might think it is. I'm in Dallas proper and I'm amazed by people posting from out of state, any state, who think we are much cheaper than we are. Even when they looking into far out exurbs. Just my opinion but the reputation of the cost of living in our cities is off.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:13 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,583 times
Actually, it seems to me that most of the Californians moving to Texas are not "libs", but rather ultra-right-wing types who are fed up with what they see as the political environment in California. Far-north Dallas seems to be their preferred place to migrate to these days, where they seek to create a place where only like-minded people live.

Please, I don't wanna hear any more of this "California libs are taking over Texas" stuff. That strikes me as rather silly paranoia.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:39 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
And we all wonder how the political climate got to be the way it is today... people trying to dictate how others live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas