Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 08:11 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
White = European. Albino people of other races aren't white just cause they have light skin. Nor are arabs.
Get your facts straight. Jewish or Arab ARE NOT races.

There are 3 to 5 races depending on who you ask. That is it.

If you go with the 3
1. The Negroid Race - The ones that people usually call as "black race". They have the darkest skin tone of all the 4 races. Another common characteristics are the relatively slopped forehead, relatively thick lips, relatively wide nose, and dark hairs (Even though few are born with light hair.). Commonly found in Sub-Sahara Africa.

2. The Mongoloid Race - A race commonly found in East Asia, characterised by the folding eye lids, almond shaped eyes, yellowish skin tone, and V shaped cheeks. Native Americans and Eskimo are also classified as Mongoloid. Compared to the other 3 races, they have the least body hair, least body odor, and smallest limb ratio. Some believe that their facial structure is likely to adapt cold mild wind.

3. The Caucasoid Race - A race commonly found in Europe and Middle East, better known as "white people", characterised by the relatively pointy nose, relatively vertical forehead, pinkish/orange skin tone, visible brow ridge, and colorful eyes/hair. Some believe that their light skin tone is meant to recieve more sunlight due to Europe's climate. Some believe that their nose structure is meant to keep the nose moistured from getting dried by the wind.

If you decide to include the other 2 they would be
4. Capoid (Bushmen/Hottentots) racial group from Southern and Eastern Africa
5. Australoid (Australian Aborigine and Papuan)

If anything I would say that Arabs are mixed Caucasiod and Negroid

Judaism is a faith not a race, Race existed before Religion, adopting a faith doesn't change your race.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(sociology)

Old 01-10-2019, 08:18 PM

74 posts, read 55,265 times
I lived in McAllen for 18 years. When I lived there, there was no public transportation at all (sounds like they've since added a bus service, which was desperately needed).

Hispanic culture is lovely and I quite enjoy it, but that's all there was - no representation of other nationalities or ethnicities at all. I was not a Spanish speaker when I moved there and wound up having to completely change my career path because I could not communicate with a significant percentage of the population.

During the entire time I lived there, there was ONE single bookstore, a Walden Books, in all of Hidalgo County. I used to make semi-annual trips to San Antonio just to go book-shopping.

The heat can be oppressive to one who is unaccustomed to it. You will run your air conditioner at least 8 or 9 months out of the year, and your utility bills may be astronomical (depending on size/age/condition of the building and the air conditioner). I currently live in a northern state, and I have never had a heating bill here as high as the AC bills I routinely got in McAllen.

If you decide to give McAllen a try, I'd suggest that you plan to rent for the first year or so to assess how well you like it, before buying anything. I'd suggest that to anyone considering a relocation to a place they've never visited, of course, but probably more so in McAllen than some other locations.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:14 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Get your facts straight. Jewish or Arab ARE NOT races.

There are 3 to 5 races depending on who you ask. That is it.

If you go with the 3
1. The Negroid Race - The ones that people usually call as "black race". They have the darkest skin tone of all the 4 races. Another common characteristics are the relatively slopped forehead, relatively thick lips, relatively wide nose, and dark hairs (Even though few are born with light hair.). Commonly found in Sub-Sahara Africa.

2. The Mongoloid Race - A race commonly found in East Asia, characterised by the folding eye lids, almond shaped eyes, yellowish skin tone, and V shaped cheeks. Native Americans and Eskimo are also classified as Mongoloid. Compared to the other 3 races, they have the least body hair, least body odor, and smallest limb ratio. Some believe that their facial structure is likely to adapt cold mild wind.

3. The Caucasoid Race - A race commonly found in Europe and Middle East, better known as "white people", characterised by the relatively pointy nose, relatively vertical forehead, pinkish/orange skin tone, visible brow ridge, and colorful eyes/hair. Some believe that their light skin tone is meant to recieve more sunlight due to Europe's climate. Some believe that their nose structure is meant to keep the nose moistured from getting dried by the wind.

If you decide to include the other 2 they would be
4. Capoid (Bushmen/Hottentots) racial group from Southern and Eastern Africa
5. Australoid (Australian Aborigine and Papuan)

If anything I would say that Arabs are mixed Caucasiod and Negroid

Judaism is a faith not a race, Race existed before Religion, adopting a faith doesn't change your race.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(sociology)
Quote:
The mid 20th century racial classification by American anthropologist Carleton S. Coon, divided humanity into five races:

Caucasoid (White) race
Negroid (Black) race
Capoid (Bushmen/Hottentots) race
Mongoloid (Oriental/ Amerindian) race
Australoid (Australian Aborigine and Papuan) race
In his landmark book The Races of Europe, Coon defined the Caucasian Race as including Europe, Central Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, North Africa, and Northeast Africa.[7] His work drew some charges of obsolete thinking or outright racism from a few critics, but some of the terminology he employed continues to be used even today, although the "-oid" suffixes now have in part taken on negative connotations.[8]

In the 21st-Century, Coon's role came under further critical scrutiny when Prof. John P Jackon Jr, noted that the American Coon, "actively aided the segregationist cause in violation of his own standards for scientific objectivity.".[9]
That is just some people's opinion on it. You look like an ass for trying to impose your view and call people misinformed for not agreeing with your narrow view. I'm sure you have a fun time explaining all of this every time you hear somebody in McAllen call themselves hispanic or white or mexican.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:15 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
White = European. Albino people of other races aren't white just cause they have light skin. Nor are arabs.
This makes YOU like an Ass. It's your opinion, nothing else. Albino people from other races? Where did you come up with that one? They are not other races and they are not Albino. It's a rather moronic view and by definition, there are only a few races, everything else is a mix. Hispanic is not another race either, it's not even a nationality. It's a classification, that is all. Also, I don't hear anybody calling themselves anything where I live, ever, we are not caught up in that BS. We all get along just fine regardless without any help from people like you. It's not my narrow view as you put it, I didn't come up with it.

I was was actually taught about the races in elementary school. These are opinions as well but from qualified people like Anthropologists. I'm not imposing anything on anybody. Really? on City-Data? Why would I care?

Here's another opinion
Quote:
The exact place of origin of the Caucasians is a matter of debate among anthropologists but most seem to agree with the aforementioned theory. The Caucasoids are further classified into various sub races such as Aryans (including some Indo-European populations), Semitic (Arabs, Hebrew speaking people), Hamitic (Berber-Cu****ic-Egyptian native races), Nordic, Mediterranean, Dinaric, Alpine, Arabid, East Baltic, Turanid, Iranid and Armenoid. These sub races are primarily based upon geographic location and language. The Caucasian race and all its sub races are characterized by light skin color ranging from white to dark wheatish, straightish to wavy hair with color ranging from flaxen to brownish to dark ebony, prominent eyes, pronounced and well-shaped nose and sharp features, medium built and average to stocky musculature. Owing to the very cold conditions of the place of its origin, the Caucasian race has light and sparse skin pigmentation and, as a result, they are not very well suited to living in very hot equatorial climates and are ill-suited to remain exposed to strong sunlight for long.
https://biologywise.com/list-of-human-races

Last edited by gguerra; 01-11-2019 at 07:40 AM..

Old 01-11-2019, 12:27 PM

182 posts, read 204,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r03ix9A View Post
The heat can be oppressive to one who is unaccustomed to it. You will run your air conditioner at least 8 or 9 months out of the year, and your utility bills may be astronomical (depending on size/age/condition of the building and the air conditioner). I currently live in a northern state, and I have never had a heating bill here as high as the AC bills I routinely got in McAllen.

If you decide to give McAllen a try, I'd suggest that you plan to rent for the first year or so to assess how well you like it, before buying anything. I'd suggest that to anyone considering a relocation to a place they've never visited, of course, but probably more so in McAllen than some other locations.
I lived in Tucson for almost 2 years and my bill in the summer was very low. (Like $20 a month) I was in a third floor apartment that had a south-facing bedroom window, yet I never used the AC. (Not even once) It seems my body was built for hot weather, as I tolerate it quite well, unlike the cold.

And yeah, that is pretty much my plan (to rent for a year), but then probably move to NW Arizona, where I am hoping to buy property.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:11 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,033,621 times
How would someone from the region compare McAllen to say, Brownsville or Harlingen? I know they´re different enough to make a comparison. I´m considering all three at the moment.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:40 PM

This is from a reddit post from a forum full of people who live in the valley:

Roma - Drug dealers and immigrants

Rio Grande City - Drug dealers and rancheros

Sullivan City - Drug smuggling crossing point

Peñitas - River crossing point for drugs

La Joya - Speed trap and politics

Mission - the ghetto Sharyland, good football

Sharyland - where the white people in the Valley live

Hidalgo - immigrants and State Farm arena

McAllen - where the rich people in the Valley live and the people from - Mexico come to shop

Edinburg - UTPA and that's pretty much it

Pharr - McAllen's ugly stepsister, but with gangs

San Juan/Alamo - ???

Donna - gang central, lots of fighting

Weslaco - for some reason the water smells, and sluts

Hargill - vatos locos

Edcouch-Elsa - good football, pregnant teens

Santa Rosa - where people go gamble

Mercedes - outlet malls, stockshow

La Feria - I've never ever ever stopped here. Does anyone even go there?

Harlingen - the poor Brownsville

San Benito - like La Feria

Raymondville - hicks

Los Fresons - Speed trap, stop here to get snacks for the beach

Rio Hondo - nobody knows how to get there, not even the people from Rio Hondo

Port Isabel - smells like fish, go to the HEB for beach supplies

South Padre - smelly beach, overpriced food, but always a good time

Brownsville - the zoo, and immigrants

Old 01-13-2019, 04:21 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
Last I checked, speaking Spanish is not a race. Spain is part of Europe. Caucasian. Therefore Hispanic is not a race.
Specifically the federal government does not consider it as a race, and instead many Hispanic folks select white as a race. There is a separate box for Hispanic.

However many state governments count Hispanic as a race. Since 1970 the Houston school district counts Hispanic as a race separate from white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinco Ranch View Post
Yeah good luck waiting every 30 minutes to an hour for the bus to arrive at your stop and finally reach your destination in 2 hours when it could have taken 20 minutes if you owned your own vehicle. Oh and have fun with the thug sitting next to you. Thank God we atleast have the METRO bus system I don’t know what we would have done without it!
Eh it probably depends on where you live. In Midtown/Downtown/Montrose it's not as bad compared to say other parts of Houston.

And why not just ask for better public transportation?

Old 03-31-2019, 07:10 AM

705 posts, read 562,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii900 View Post
It's 85–90% Hispanic, right? Will a Caucasian person feel terribly out of place?
Also, what parts of town are safest, and which should be avoided? (cross streets would be helpful)

I am looking for a warm place to move to and rent for a while and the rio grande valley looks nice. I've read conflicting forum posts and I haven't found much (almost nothing) about what it's like to live there, being white and not speaking Spanish..

Also, which is better? McAllen or Edinburg? (Or Mission/ other surrounding city) I would prefer to be in an area of town that is not very busy, but till on a bus route. (I don't drive)
My husband and I are white and feel very comfortable here and FYI, it is NOT as bad any some people say. We've NEVER had a problem. We find the people here VERY friendly and it's extremely family oriented. We love it and so do many others that live here and come for vacations. I have an app on my iphone in case I ever need it, so far that has only happened a few times. It is Translator with speech. You pick for example...Spanish. You speak into the phone what you want to say to someone and it translates, then they can respond and it translates. The app was free.

I think you'd like McAllen but you need to come down and spend a little time and see how you like it, don't let other people convince you how horrible it is.

I attached info on buses. There is also Uber, fares in McAllen start at $5.95. Lyft fares in McAllen start at $3.50. Most grocery stores offer delivery, you can order online or you can order online and pick it up at the store. https://www.mcallen.net/metro/default.aspx

More info:

McAllen, Texas is one of the most populous cities in Texas for good reason. It is best known for the incredibly low cost of living, the great educational system, the culture and the weather. It’s no surprise that people flock to this area. Population 142,696 (2017)

McAllen is within close proximity to five different educational institutions – The University of Texas-Rio Grande Valley, The University of Texas-Brownsville, Texas Southmost College, Texas State Technical College and South Texas College.
According to Forbes, McAllen is the third best city for job growth with an annual growth projected at 3.9%.
CBS News published that the average cost of a home in McAllen, Texas is the third-least expensive community in the United States with an average home price of $178,000.
McAllen’s average yearly temperature is 84.7 degrees and it is served by a subtropical climate as it is close to the Gulf of Mexico.
McAllen was named the 7th safest city in America in April 2016.
Forbes ranked McAllen-Edinburg-Mission as the 35th best performing city in the country.
Since 1990, the city’s population has seen a 22% increase due to the expansion of shopping, dining and recreation amenities.
The cost of living in McAllen is 16.2% lower than the national average, making McAllen an affordable place of buyers of all walks of life.
McAllen is a vibrant arts and entertainment scene. The city is full of art galleries, museums, live music venues and nightlife spots. McAllen even has a symphony orchestra.
Uriah Lott, Leonidas C. Hill, Sr., John McAllen, James Ballí McAllen and John J. Young formed the McAllen Townsite Company on December 5, 1904. The new community was named for John McAllen.
McAllen’s famous and most popular retail spot La Plaza Mall opened its doors in 1976.
The existing structure of the First United Methodist Church on 221 Main Street was built in 1928 and has an official Historical Marker. The first Methodist Church sanctuary in McAllen was built in 1909.
McAllen is the twenty-first most populous city in Texas and the largest city in Hidalgo County, Texas.
McAllen’s Public Library, once an abandoned Wal-Mart, was named the most beautiful library in Texas by website Tech Insider.
CNBC named McAllen the 12th best place to start a business in America.
From these facts you can tell McAllen is a special place to both live and visit. Whether you are a recent college graduate or retired and looking for a city to relax in, McAllen is the place to be.

Living in McAllen
With a low unemployment rate, low cost of living, plenty of amenities and attractions to visit and some of the best people in the country, McAllen is the home you’ve been dreaming of. The city is constantly recognized by top publications like Forbes and CNBC for being in the top of its class.

McAllen is small town with a lot to offer just about anyone. You can continue to enjoy the small town vibe without losing the exciting conveniences and attractions that big cities have to offer. You will know your neighbor and you can also head to the hustle and bustle the nearby major cities. It really is the best of both worlds living in McAllen, Texas.

Border cities get a bad rap as violent, but the Rio Grande Valley is extremely safe. Of the 24 Texas metro areas ranked by the FBI, Brownsville comes in dead last, with 240 incidents of violent crime per 100,000 people. Nearby McAllen comes in at #18, with 286 per 100,000.

Last edited by Over the hill gang; 03-31-2019 at 07:41 AM..

Old 03-31-2019, 10:25 AM

Just going to add that all border towns have "low crime rates".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas