Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 11:36 PM

182 posts, read 204,913 times

Advertisements

It's 85–90% Hispanic, right? Will a Caucasian person feel terribly out of place?
Also, what parts of town are safest, and which should be avoided? (cross streets would be helpful)

I am looking for a warm place to move to and rent for a while and the rio grande valley looks nice. I've read conflicting forum posts and I haven't found much (almost nothing) about what it's like to live there, being white and not speaking Spanish..

Also, which is better? McAllen or Edinburg? (Or Mission/ other surrounding city) I would prefer to be in an area of town that is not very busy, but till on a bus route. (I don't drive)

Last edited by Hawaii900; 12-29-2018 at 11:51 PM..

Old 12-30-2018, 08:50 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,818 times
The only place you'll be able to find adequate public transportation is most definitely not in Texas.

And moving to the RGV? I lived there 7 years. Since I can say anything nice about it, I won't say anything.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
The only place you'll be able to find adequate public transportation is most definitely not in Texas.

And moving to the RGV? I lived there 7 years. Since I can say anything nice about it, I won't say anything.
Well, my first choice was Lake Havasu City AZ, but they have no bus at all, so that's out. It looks like McAllen only has 7 routes, but I should be able to get wherever I need to go. I don't leave home very much and when I do, it's usually to buy groceries..
Are there buses in Edinburg, though? I'm not finding much online..

I don't mind hearing negatives, that's what I made this thread for.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:10 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
It'd be tough to be non-Hispanic in an environment like that. Speaking Spanish fluently would help the cause, but it's still not the same. A lot of it depends upon your social needs. If you are an insular married couple and spoke Spanish fluently, it'd probably be manageable but not ideal.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
It'd be tough to be non-Hispanic in an environment like that. Speaking Spanish fluently would help the cause, but it's still not the same. A lot of it depends upon your social needs. If you are an insular married couple and spoke Spanish fluently, it'd probably be manageable but not ideal.

I am a reclusive hermit. I only talk to people when I have to. I would keep to myself and mostly be a shut in..

Old 12-30-2018, 03:34 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Dallas... even Houston's public transportation is coming along...

Don't sell the ENTIRE state short.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Dallas... even Houston's public transportation is coming along...

Don't sell the ENTIRE state short.
Lol, of course not! But I know that it would be extremely difficult living in Houston and depending on public transportation, much less the RGV.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii900 View Post
I am a reclusive hermit. I only talk to people when I have to. I would keep to myself and mostly be a shut in..
But do you speak Spanish fluently?

Old 12-31-2018, 11:31 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
Not knowing how to drive will be a MUCH MUCH bigger problem than not speaking Spanish.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:59 PM

482 posts, read 242,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii900 View Post
It's 85–90% Hispanic, right? Will a Caucasian person feel terribly out of place?
Also, what parts of town are safest, and which should be avoided? (cross streets would be helpful)

I am looking for a warm place to move to and rent for a while and the rio grande valley looks nice. I've read conflicting forum posts and I haven't found much (almost nothing) about what it's like to live there, being white and not speaking Spanish..

Also, which is better? McAllen or Edinburg? (Or Mission/ other surrounding city) I would prefer to be in an area of town that is not very busy, but till on a bus route. (I don't drive)
Can't say for McAllen/Edinburg, but I have lived in both Corpus Christi and Brownsville, and being a minority honestly wasn't much of an issue. Not being bilingual was a pretty big disadvantage in Brownsville at times, but I never felt like I was treated unfairly because of my skin color. If anything, my dating life as a single guy in Brownsville was excellent, and the families and friends of the Latino women I dated never showed an issue. I always felt welcome in Brownsville, which has very similar demographics.

Corpus is more like San Antonio to be honest. It's a brown-town these days, but everyone speaks English in the workplace, and there are still a lot of white folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas