Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 03:18 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
But O'Rourke is one candidate I can say I hate and think is trash. All he cares about it is how popular he is with the activist base.

Thoughts?
"How did someone like Beto O'Rourke succeed in a state like Texas?"

Define "succeed".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 02:10 AM

298 posts, read 416,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
“Don’t mess with Texas!”

(allows Texas to become Mexico)

That is why Beto succeeds and why the Lonestar state as we knew it is dead.
Curious, are you actually from Texas?

Old 10-02-2019, 07:50 AM

628 posts, read 663,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
Curious, are you actually from Texas?
Nope. Visited often as old friends are there. It’s one of the greatest places on earth. I just find it so disheartening that such a proud state allowed itself to be invaded and soon defeated.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:01 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,370,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
And the GOP just promises lower taxes ('free money'). They are all trying to 'buy' your vote one way or another.

How is all the free stuff going to be paid for that the Ds promise? They make you think it is whomever is richer than you and that is it, they are all 'free'.

What is going to happen with all those tax cuts and how will things get paid for? They make you think that it just doesn't matter, essentially making our existing services 'free'.
Wait, how is lower taxes 'free money'? That is in actual fact, my money. Money that I have earned. Letting me keep money that I have labored to earn is not free money at all, and it is alarming that you think it is. I don't care if you're talking income tax (Federal), property tax, or sales tax, all result in the government taking money that I have earned. Allowing me to keep that money, is in no way, "free" money.

Don't misinterpret what I am saying, I understand the need for tax revenues to support infrastructure, etc., just want to clarify that tax cuts are in no way, shape, or form "free money". The government isn't "giving" me anything. They are letting me keep what I've already earned. Vast difference.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:18 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Wait, how is lower taxes 'free money'? That is in actual fact, my money. Money that I have earned. Letting me keep money that I have labored to earn is not free money at all, and it is alarming that you think it is. I don't care if you're talking income tax (Federal), property tax, or sales tax, all result in the government taking money that I have earned. Allowing me to keep that money, is in no way, "free" money.

Don't misinterpret what I am saying, I understand the need for tax revenues to support infrastructure, etc., just want to clarify that tax cuts are in no way, shape, or form "free money". The government isn't "giving" me anything. They are letting me keep what I've already earned. Vast difference.
That you have already earned..within the infrastructure of the U.S., resulting from the public education system, and protected (and 'advanced') by the U.S. military and local law enforcement. It goes deeper than that, though, although that is the most obvious/direct. Tax cuts without spending cuts - which is absolutely what is happening - are free services, which cost money. You may not be on welfare, but 'welfare', without a doubt, prevents people being driven to the extreme of robbing or killing you to survive.

It is more complicated than that, but the last tax revision did almost nothing to revitalize our economy. I have to admit, I was a beneficiary - I sold a company for a huge profit and had a lower tax rate than I would have had, and several companies that I own stock in upped their dividends (which I rolled back into my retirement savings, I did not spend).

Yes, it is 'your money', but there is no way you would ever make that much money without the government establishing a stable environment for business and living in general. The GOP is 'skimming' money now and pushing the ball further down the road.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:08 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
Nope. Visited often as old friends are there. It’s one of the greatest places on earth. I just find it so disheartening that such a proud state allowed itself to be invaded and soon defeated.

I'm a native Texan. My family has been in Texas since before it was a Republic and was involved in that endeavor. You don't need to worry - Texas is just fine. Who exactly do you think is going to defeat us?

Old 10-02-2019, 10:09 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
That you have already earned..within the infrastructure of the U.S., resulting from the public education system, and protected (and 'advanced') by the U.S. military and local law enforcement. It goes deeper than that, though, although that is the most obvious/direct. Tax cuts without spending cuts - which is absolutely what is happening - are free services, which cost money. You may not be on welfare, but 'welfare', without a doubt, prevents people being driven to the extreme of robbing or killing you to survive.

It is more complicated than that, but the last tax revision did almost nothing to revitalize our economy. I have to admit, I was a beneficiary - I sold a company for a huge profit and had a lower tax rate than I would have had, and several companies that I own stock in upped their dividends (which I rolled back into my retirement savings, I did not spend).

Yes, it is 'your money', but there is no way you would ever make that much money without the government establishing a stable environment for business and living in general. The GOP is 'skimming' money now and pushing the ball further down the road.

Exactly how it works.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:14 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,775,535 times
Quote:

I disagree this is exactly how it works, but I will say I understand what you are speaking of. I almost responded to both of your posts (83, 85) but thought, oh stay out of it. Now, here I am, getting involved. Grrr, I get so mad at myself sometimes for getting into these discussions.

I think we all pretty much know a politician's pitch is designed to win our vote. Most of the politicians (especially career politicians) are in it for the money, the fame maybe, the perks, etc. or so I'd say. I see what you are intending to explain in regards to 'free money' but I agree with TXStrat about your choice of the words 'free money' and your explanation of such. You ignored an important segment of TXStrat's post stating "Don't misinterpret what I am saying, I understand the need for tax revenues to support infrastructure, etc., just want to clarify that tax cuts are in no way, shape, or form "free money". The government isn't "giving" me anything. They are letting me keep what I've already earned. Vast difference". Instead you try to justify your explanation in post 95 which IMO almost sounds like you consider all citizens and taxpayers indentured servants of the US.

In post #85 you say :And the GOP just promises lower taxes ('free money'). They are all trying to 'buy' your vote one way or another". Well, sure they are, but again, I agree with TXStrat that lower taxes does not equate free money. Same post you ask and answer "How is all the free stuff going to be paid for that the Ds promise? They make you think it is whomever is richer than you and that is it, they are all 'free'." , I understand what you mean by the first part of your answer, but the 2nd half? Not so much. Same with this version you wrote in post 95 "Tax cuts without spending cuts - which is absolutely what is happening - are free services, which cost money". I'm just trying to absorb this and I give up.

BTW IMO your statement "The GOP is 'skimming' money now and pushing the ball further down the road" should be corrected to say 'government' instead of GOP as we all know the GOP is certainly not by it's lonesome in this - they've all skimmed, scammed and scummed and done so since forever you might say.

Of course citizens are beneficiaries of services in the US - we should be, we paid (and are paying) for them. Our parents paid school taxes which we as children benefited from and now we are doing the same. They paid in both taxes and lives supporting the military - same as we are now doing ourselves. They paid into the SS and medicare fund and some of them lived to see a return on that investment (you will notice I cannot bring myself to say their entitlement ). Same applies to our generation and emphasis again on my response of we should be receiving these benefits, we paid for them and NOT as indentured servants although sometimes it might appear to be so. Our country has been built and paid for through generations of hard working men and women and is being carried forth today. So yes, we have had the privilege of living in an environment where we are able to earn a living but remember, it didn't happen out of thin air, we and generations before us paid for it. Get free from that and I'll eat my hat.

Supporting an infrastructure is a vast difference from being legally robbed by your own government.

Reducing taxes is not an ending of services. Saying so is nothing more than using the old scare tactics. The government is not going to cut all services out, but they do need to cut back in many instances on money being doled out to create an environment of fiscal responsibility of all parties involved. I think this is safe to say and sorely needed in all facets.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:59 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,775,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'm a native Texan. My family has been in Texas since before it was a Republic and was involved in that endeavor.
Yes, I think we all are all aware of this since you have mentioned it a time or two through the years. Matter of fact, I believe you've brought it up at least twice in this thread alone, once yesterday (along with another lesson on the Yellow Dog Democrat of yore) and again today (I guess just in case someone missed it yesterday).

Old 10-02-2019, 03:46 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,370,269 times
Quote:

Here's a wrinkle for you, spark plug. What if I was a member of the military for 22 years, defending your stuff, getting paid a pittance, and still paying taxes on what I did earn? How does that figure into your "we all owe the nanny state" view?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas