Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 05:40 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,262,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You mean Ted? Ted whose dad, Rafael Bienvenido Cruz y Díaz, is Cuban?

Beto is a 4th generation Irish American whose ancestors have been in the US for well over 100 years. Ted is half Cuban (his dad is of Cuban-Spanish descent) and his parents immigrated to Canada, and then the US, from Cuba, in the 1950s.

Oh, and Cruz's sisters' names are Miriam Ceferina Cruz and Roxana Lourdes Cruz. Hmmmm, pretty Hispanic sounding names, to go along with Rafael Edward.

Robert O Rourke has two sisters too - their names are Charlotte and Erin.
So what? You're proving my point. Beto grew up in El Paso. That's what he was called growing up, and unlike Cruz, it's actually tied to his real name, Robert, Roberto, Beto. Rafael just picked Ted by himself because he was tired of being bullied in high school. Not at all derived from his actual name. Mommy helped him pick it.https://www.statesman.com/news/20180...rourke-by-beto

Facts only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 06:36 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,463,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
So what? You're proving my point. Beto grew up in El Paso. That's what he was called growing up, and unlike Cruz, it's actually tied to his real name, Robert, Roberto, Beto. Rafael just picked Ted by himself because he was tired of being bullied in high school. Not at all derived from his actual name. Mommy helped him pick it.https://www.statesman.com/news/20180...rourke-by-beto

Facts only.
Not entirely factual. His name is Rafael Edward Cruz. Edward is shortened to Ted. Senator Edward Kennedy is more commonly known as Ted Kennedy. There was a basis in reality for Rafael Edward Cruz to go by the name Ted Cruz.

There is no basis in reality for Robert O'Rourke to be Beto. It is pure political pandering. Robert O'Rourke is a con man. He should have served at least 10 years in prison for his DUI.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:14 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,218,444 times
According to everything I've read, Beto is a childhood nickname that stuck. I've seen that happen before. My entire extended family scattered across Texas called my Aunt "Sis." I grew up calling her Aunt Sis and, in fact, didn't know her real name was Mary until I was an adult. DO you think all the men you know called Bud or Bubba were born with that name? I can come up with plenty of other examples. I think there's plenty of reasons to criticize Beto but I think the nickname one is lame.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:

Facts only.

Ted is a derivative of Edward, which is Ted Cruz's middle name.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
According to everything I've read, Beto is a childhood nickname that stuck. I've seen that happen before. My entire extended family scattered across Texas called my Aunt "Sis." I grew up calling her Aunt Sis and, in fact, didn't know her real name was Mary until I was an adult. DO you think all the men you know called Bud or Bubba were born with that name? I can come up with plenty of other examples. I think there's plenty of reasons to criticize Beto but I think the nickname one is lame.
I'm not criticizing him for a childhood nickname, to clarify. My criticism is more for people who think he's Hispanic due to his childhood nickname.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:14 AM

864 posts, read 868,024 times
Don't get too excited about any of this. Neither O'Rourke nor Castro are popular in Texas or anywhere else.

Castro is in one of those guaranteed Democrat held seats where Republicans don't bother spending resources.

O'Rourke was viewed by many as Cruz's alter ego. Texan's generally support Cruz's views but are bothered by some of his more extreme rhetoric and would like him to tone it down. A vote for O'Rourke was a vote for telling Cruz to moderate a bit. No one expected the race to be even close so many felt comfortable staying home or voting against Cruz just to send him a message.

If you need any evidence of this just look how poorly both Castro and O'Rourke have done as Presidential candidates.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Not entirely factual. His name is Rafael Edward Cruz. Edward is shortened to Ted. Senator Edward Kennedy is more commonly known as Ted Kennedy. There was a basis in reality for Rafael Edward Cruz to go by the name Ted Cruz.

There is no basis in reality for Robert O'Rourke to be Beto. It is pure political pandering. Robert O'Rourke is a con man. He should have served at least 10 years in prison for his DUI.
It was his childhood name. 10 years for a DUI? That's funny.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:43 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,463,858 times
Quote:
It was his childhood name. 10 years for a DUI? That's funny.
10 years for a DUI that involves a loss of life is reasonable. That's vehicular manslaughter. I was thinking for a minute that is what he did.

A simple DUI and leaving the scene of an accident like he did, along with having a past criminal trespass charge should be good for about a year or so of incarceration. He got off pretty lightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
O'Rourke was viewed by many as Cruz's alter ego. Texan's generally support Cruz's views but are bothered by some of his more extreme rhetoric and would like him to tone it down. A vote for O'Rourke was a vote for telling Cruz to moderate a bit. No one expected the race to be even close so many felt comfortable staying home or voting against Cruz just to send him a message.
There are better ways to send a message than voting for a con man Marxist. I wouldn't understand that logic.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm not criticizing him for a childhood nickname, to clarify. My criticism is more for people who think he's Hispanic due to his childhood nickname.
That's not his fault. It is what it is.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
That's not his fault. It is what it is.
Oh please don't be obtuse. Please don't act like he's not aware of what using this particular childhood nickname implies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas