Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 09:06 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times

Advertisements

What are your’s? They can be for the entire state or just one area. They can also be on any topic, as long as they aren’t used as an excuse to insult any place or person(s).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 09:29 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
i predict the price of West Texas Intermediate will continue to go up and down this decade.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:19 AM

694 posts, read 836,015 times
The slow decline of Houston's economy as more and more companies, fearing business interruption due to flooding, stop building new facilities here.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:11 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
More of the same, until driverless vehicles take over the roadways and then we will see more changes in lifestyle ever since the automobile effected change in the American lifestyle in the 1st half of the 20th century. I think when 2030 gets here, day to day life will be noticably different from life on Jan 2020, which so far doesn't seem all that much different from Jan 2010.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:06 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
More of the same, until driverless vehicles take over the roadways and then we will see more changes in lifestyle ever since the automobile effected change in the American lifestyle in the 1st half of the 20th century. I think when 2030 gets here, day to day life will be noticably different from life on Jan 2020, which so far doesn't seem all that much different from Jan 2010.
I think you could be right about the change between now and 2030, but my life is very different between 2010 and now. I not only buy almost everything online now, but I do it from my phone as well.

I can order food, a ride a massage anything from my phone.

In fact, 95%+ of the time I spend on the internet is on my phone now, I basically only use computers for work and occasionally gaming.

Old 01-03-2020, 12:01 PM

978 posts, read 1,057,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugLandDAd View Post
The slow decline of Houston's economy as more and more companies, fearing business interruption due to flooding, stop building new facilities here.
Well.... they actually predict the opposite. Houston is pretty resilient.

The projection has Houston becoming the third most populous city in the United States by 2030 or shortly after that.

There are some grade 'A' heavy hitter developments that are under construction, or about to be, that will continue to drastically transform the city into an Alpha city on the world scale.

Old 01-03-2020, 12:34 PM

197 posts, read 229,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugLandDAd View Post

On that note, I'm going to predict that a significant portion of future economic development in the Houston metro area will most likely be concentrated around The Woodlands due to the lower flood risk there. Also, I will predict an overall decline in land values in residential areas like Meyerland and Bellaire due to the flood risk, and even those areas of the Memorial corridor and River Oaks that are close to Buffalo Bayou.

What we didn't see during Harvey was Houston's ultimate disaster scenario: a severe flooding event that results in dam failure at either (or both of) the Addicks and Barker reservoirs. The controlled releases that flooded the Memorial corridor do provide a less-severe preview of how such a scenario might play out, though. Should dam failure happen, the downstream areas along Buffalo Bayou, including the Memorial corridor and River Oaks, are pretty much toast. And in the case of the Barker Reservoir failing, add in the Brays Bayou corridor (including Meyerland, Bellaire, and the TMC) to that list too.

Though the Army Corps of Engineers has made reinforcements to the dams, I do foresee a reduction in economic development along the Brays and Buffalo bayous due to the flood risk. That said, the Buffalo Bayou does seem a bit less prone to flooding than the Brays Bayou, and in conjunction with the affluent base there, I don't foresee too much decline in demand and land value there (at least away from the bayou), contingent on the Addicks and/or Barker dams remaining intact, of course.

Continued uncontrolled development upstream of the Addicks and Barker reservoirs in the Katy Prairie is only increasing the risk of a flood event that could be worse than Harvey. Though not so relevant for this decade, sea level rise could eventually result in the abandonment of portions of the southeast and eastern areas of the metro area (think Galveston, Kemah, Seabrook, portions of Clear Lake, and the industrial areas along the Ship Channel).

Old 01-03-2020, 02:44 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
I predict that the University of Houston and Texas Tech will begin a genuine trajectory towards flagship university status. And UH will continue to prosper athletically as well.

Old 01-03-2020, 02:48 PM

577 posts, read 457,385 times
Dallas and Houston will really kick it into overdrive and will a force to be reckoned with (in terms of growth). I really, really hope the HSR is completed this decade to create even more synergy between these two beasts.

Old 01-04-2020, 04:51 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I predict that the University of Houston and Texas Tech will begin a genuine trajectory towards flagship university status. And UH will continue to prosper athletically as well.
A rep for your response, however, I think it is really a "hope" for U. of H. Either, for U. of H. to join a Power Five Conference, unlikely, or not TOO likely, for the American Athletic Conference being recognized as a member of the Power Five, thus becoming the NEW and improved, lol, Power Six Conference. The latter which is the known goal now is no secret. Hopefully to occur n the next ten years, or it won't happen, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas