Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2022, 01:41 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
For Houston and DFW to reach those levels in 30 years, each would have to average a net increase of around 250K a year for that entire timeframe.

For reference, only two metro areas have ever seen population growth of 2.5 million or more in a single decade since the beginning of the 20th century - LA (two decades) and NYC (one). Both Houston and DFW would need three straight decades of that type of growth. The highest single-decade growth for either metro was the 1.7 million Houston added between 2000 and 2010. DFW has actually slowed a bit in terms of raw numbers, adding about 1.4 million between 1990 and 2000 and then about 1.2 million in each of the two decades since.

Also keeping in mind that both foreign immigration and rates of natural increase are decreasing... I don't see either metro getting close to those projections. More realistically 10-12 million in both metros.
Yeah it's over projected a little.. By the next census we'll be at 10 million and thats just 8 years away. then we'll have 22 years to gain the other 6.

Keep in mind how many small sleepy towns(that nobody hears or talk about) surrounding DFW that will explode in the next decade due to the influx of newcomers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2022, 10:22 AM

3,889 posts, read 2,202,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Yeah it's over projected a little.. By the next census we'll be at 10 million and thats just 8 years away. then we'll have 22 years to gain the other 6.

Keep in mind how many small sleepy towns(that nobody hears or talk about) surrounding DFW that will explode in the next decade due to the influx of newcomers.
The growth is so crazy that many never thought places like Sherman/Denison or Bryan County OK would be part of the DFW CSA but now they are. I wonder how much further north the growth will extend?

Old 03-13-2022, 04:30 PM

254 posts, read 114,332 times
When the Texas cities can let go of the car some maybe then they will see city centers like Toronto Seattle Portland Philly Boston Chicago etc. These cities are complete definition of what a city center should be. Instead you have massive highways gazillion parking lots everywhere. All that good shopping at Northpark should be downtown like those cities I mentioned

Old 03-13-2022, 04:45 PM

9,894 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKafrican1 View Post
When the Texas cities can let go of the car some maybe then they will see city centers like Toronto Seattle Portland Philly Boston Chicago etc. These cities are complete definition of what a city center should be. Instead you have massive highways gazillion parking lots everywhere. All that good shopping at Northpark should be downtown like those cities I mentioned
Like Philly and Seattle? No. Otherwise, I agree.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:44 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
I understand where you're coming from. Trust me I do but I mean Philly metro area does have King of Purssia Mall which happens to be the largest mall on the eastcoast and is located in the burbs. Philly wouldn't be a good example as far as shopping but I think it's a great example along with the other cities you mentioned when it comes to dynamic cores.

The problem is the major Texas cities started exploding once the auto industry really took off and with the expansion of the suburbs and highways in American cities. Before the 50's cities like Dallas/ Houston/ Austin/ San Antonio were under 450,000. Outside of their downtowns it was pretty much podunk communities. They've built these metros to the point of no return. You can't replicate what cities like Chicago/ Toronto/ Boston/Philly or even Seattle had because they had those bones post WW2.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:05 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
The problem is the major Texas cities started exploding once the auto industry really took off and with the expansion of the suburbs and highways in American cities. Before the 50's cities like Dallas/ Houston/ Austin/ San Antonio were under 450,000.
BZZZT! Wrong! Austin bulldozed 25% of their downtown buildings in the 1920s-1940s for parking lots during the depression. Dallas and Houston closer to 40%. Yes Philly and the others were larger and had more population, but Dallas, Austin, and Houston had larger downtowns when they had 450k than they do now. The build planning of them all is dumb. They could build car-lite centers now if they chose to do so.

Also, if it was unable to be replicated, why would you include Seattle, that had a smaller population then and still has a smaller population than Ft Worth?

Old 03-14-2022, 10:26 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
100% agreed in bold. Policy changes and you will see some developers stop building around the car so much.The skyhouse development in Houston is a great example of good urbanity with immediate bad urbanity. I also maintain that the best shopping is always street front shopping. But that's me.

Old 03-14-2022, 11:11 AM

9,894 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
100% agreed in bold. Policy changes and you will see some developers stop building around the car so much.The skyhouse development in Houston is a great example of good urbanity with immediate bad urbanity. I also maintain that the best shopping is always street front shopping. But that's me.
And the areas where you do get street front shopping (The Domain in Austin, River Oaks District in Houston, etc) are curated in a way that have a great environment within itself but are designed to be reached by car.

Old 03-14-2022, 11:22 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
And the areas where you do get street front shopping (The Domain in Austin, River Oaks District in Houston, etc) are curated in a way that have a great environment within itself but are designed to be reached by car.
Unfortunately, that's going to be reality until we can start growing the nascent walkable areas (like ROD, Uptown, parts of UK, Rice Village, Downtown, Midtown, TMC etc.) together over time. It will take both public sector leaders (who control regulations for infrastructure, street design etc.) and private developers (who can choose whether or not to build with a pedestrian-friendly design) to make this happen. And figuring out how to deal with barriers like freeways and bayous.

Old 05-18-2022, 08:56 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Just Information....The Bolded line is the title of the Article.

Move Over, Austin: Tech Employment Report Shows DFW May Be The New Silicon Valley Of Texas
https://www.bisnow.com/dallas-ft-wor...f-texas-113061
Quote:
In the first quarter of this year, DFW employed 272,390 tech workers, up 8% year-over-year and a 23% increase compared to Q1 2017, according to a new report by Cushman & Wakefield. This makes DFW the nation’s seventh-largest tech employment market, edging out all other cities in the state, including Austin, which is widely thought of as the Silicon Valley of Texas.

Ching-Ting Wang, Cushman’s director of Texas research, said tech companies choose Texas because of its business-friendly environment and relatively low cost of living. But DFW is especially attractive because many of the Metroplex’s biggest industries, such as financial services and commercial real estate, are highly reliant on technology.

“We don’t often think about DFW as a top tech player, but it actually is,” she said. “We have a lot of these surrounding types of industries that tech is growing from.”

Other tech markets that made the top 10 include New York City, San Francisco, Washington, D.C., San Jose, Los Angeles-Orange County, Boston, Seattle, Chicago and Atlanta. DFW’s market is ahead of Austin by more than 123,000 jobs, per the report.

DFW has been home to major tech companies like AT&T, Samsung and Nokia for decades, but the industry grew dramatically as more industries adopted digital solutions during the pandemic, Wang said. In 2021, more than 25M SF were leased to tech companies in DFW, comprising a transaction volume of $3.5B. The average office lease is roughly 14K SF with a lease length of 84 months, according to Cushman & Wakefield data.

“It’s a hot industry, and it’s definitely grown throughout time,” Wang said. “That’s driven by relocations and how things are cheaper here, but it’s also because we already have some of these companies here and tenants want to be close to similar types of tenants.”

Another driving force for DFW’s tech industry is a targeted effort by area universities to strengthen talent pipelines for jobs in computer science and engineering. The University of Texas at Dallas, for example, has the fourth-highest number of computer science graduates in the U.S., Wang said.

Many of those graduates go on to stay in the Metroplex, she said, a trend that gives companies even more reason to choose DFW over other metros. According to Emsi, there were more than 62,000 computer-related tech job postings in DFW over the past 12 months.

Last edited by dallasboi; 05-18-2022 at 09:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas