Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 07:40 PM

15,529 posts, read 10,499,357 times

Advertisements

Oh, I just saw the OP's join date, so I suppose this a troll post, my bad. I wouldn't mind discussing the wonderfulness of Dallas in the 90's though, good music, good food and so on. Perhaps in another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 07:54 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,214,194 times
I'm wondering what Dallas the Op is talking about because it's not the Dallas I was born in in the 70s nor is that the Dallas where I grew up. No one wore boots and hats unless they were going to a western dance club. In fact, if you wore them in Dallas, people thought you were a tourist. My parents owned them but they only wore them if they were entertaining out of town clients who thought Dallas was just like the TV show. We used to joke that the TV show should be called "Fort Worth" or "Houston" because the only thing from Dallas were the opening skyline shots. At my high school, if you wore western wear you were derisively called a roper or kicker. Maybe the OP really lived in Fort Worth or Mesquite but claimed he lived in Dallas because the Dallas I knew wasn't Western at all.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:11 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
New York is what every city will end up being....

Even though every one is probably ready to pounce....its true. NY didn't start out like we know it is today......It grew into what it is. Cities evolve as they grow.....Im pretty sure if the people who lived in NY when it first established itself were still living, they would be saying the same thing the OP's opening rant said......NY is not the same anymore.

Cities NEVER stay the same.....or better yet...NOTHING stays the same....not even our bodies.

If you truly love a place you grow with the culture and embrace it because it will always be changing.

0.02 cent.
Facts. The OP isn't wrong about what he's saying, we just don't like his opinion. Whether he's trolling or not, it's pretty much all true, just worded in a semi-racist sounding way.

I'm not even going to condemn that opinion, but for those that feel that way, it won't change. Stay or leave up to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
No offense, but this must be your idea of Texas from a white perspective. The Texas I grew up in...people didn’t really wear cowboy boots and country music was never played. The only commonality (in your post) is religion. A lot of black people (not all) are very religious.

Even with that said, places are going to change. It has been that way since forever....
Facts here too. I knew it existed, but I never grew around that personally. the most "Texan/Western" I ever saw was when we'd go to Astros games and sing "Deep in the Heart of Texas" during the 7th inning stretch.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:49 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Facts. The OP isn't wrong about what he's saying, we just don't like his opinion. Whether he's trolling or not, it's pretty much all true, just worded in a semi-racist sounding way.

I'm not even going to condemn that opinion, but for those that feel that way, it won't change. Stay or leave up to you

Facts here too. I knew it existed, but I never grew around that personally. the most "Texan/Western" I ever saw was when we'd go to Astros games and sing "Deep in the Heart of Texas" during the 7th inning stretch.
Is the discernibly Texas culture now limited to things like the popularity of Lone Star/Shiner and local BBQ styles?

Old 06-19-2020, 10:03 PM

1,725 posts, read 1,024,092 times
The OP is right, but he is just now noticing this? The change happened long ago.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:26 PM

6,795 posts, read 2,904,212 times
Tell me, as someone who spent just a few months in Dallas (actually Garland) back in the early 1970's ...has the Texan drawl also been modified to become more 'cultured' than it used to be? While I'm certainly not the expert on Texan culture I can relate somewhat to the OP's nostalgic views but rather more toward that of a changed world in general. 'Looking back' is natural for many or even most of us at some point in our lives. We yearn for any number of things that no longer exist. But, we can never go back, as much as we might like to.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:26 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Is the discernibly Texas culture now limited to things like the popularity of Lone Star/Shiner and local BBQ styles?
Tex Mex culture is still widespread in San Antonio and southern Texas. Albeit a bit evolved but still prevelant. “Old Texas” probably still exists in small towns in West Texas and the panhandle.

There’s plenty of regional cultural aspects. You mentioned local BBQ styles. Also Texas style kolaches. Even Shiner seems to be a thing for the older generation. Younger gen beer drinkers will prefer either a national or local brew. Local brands like Whataburger, Buc Ees, Shipley DoNuts etc are hyped. Obviously sports teams. Those are never going to go away. They’ll change but local culture exists. It just goes away evolves quick.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:49 AM

976 posts, read 1,057,340 times
Quote:
Are these cities actually "integrated" though?
I do believe Houston is the most integrated city in America.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:33 AM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Are these cities actually "integrated" though?
A lot more so than cities in the northeast and Midwest.

Old 06-20-2020, 02:27 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,266,781 times
What happened to Dallas and Texas?

Progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas