Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:11 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Population, jobs, housing, NBA prowess... pick one.

I just wanted to make sure that the OP was considering all of the options when looking at Texas city growth opportunities.
That's cool... I wasn't referring to your post, I was talking to Toots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 10:28 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,568,482 times
Thanks for posting that Forbes article, Bowie.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:46 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEsananto View Post
How is that?
Hmm, I would have said that in Austin, there's (in general) a more educated workforce, a greater established presence of "new economy" jobs, and the massive presence of UT for research/education/technology jobs, whereas SA would have a farther way to go in that regard. In addition San Antonio derives a lot more money from tourism which is strongly influenced by current economic conditions.

But I admit to having spent only limited time in SA and I may not be treating it fairly. I'm surprised to see it so high in the "recession proof" list.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:50 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
But unfortunately Austin has no infrastructure. Of course a lot of people would like to keep it that way to discourage 'more people, more scars upon the land' (apologies to the late John Denver).

I think Dallas had the largest job growth in the most recent figures and slightly more new residents - 162,500 in the last year. I'm not sure we want all those people either.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:03 PM

251 posts, read 710,541 times
Quote:
In addition San Antonio derives a lot more money from tourism which is strongly influenced by current economic conditions.
I think you're looking at the '90s data. Most of the economy in S.A. is finance, biomedical and defense. Tourism is #4 now. As far as research though, you should never discount San Antonio, there's a lot of medical research going on in this city with more labs and facilities being built off of 211 on the far west side.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:52 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
Pound for Pound San Antonio is the next boom city not only in Texas but the USA. I challenge anyone to just drive around SA and compare the infrastructure to any other city in Texas. The city has proably the best highway system in the country.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I would say Houston since it is becoming the energy capital of the country and not just oil. The medical center in Houston is second to none and growing by leaps and bounds.Dallas also is a very urban feeling town and business center. I also think Austin has to be counted in the future of texas as far as urban professionals has it has the lifestyle they prefer and that attracts businesses.San Antonio is a interesting city but mostly a tourist attraction and blue collar and military center. It seems to attracct alot of military reitrees and others looking for a low cost of living.But many retirees are now picking the area north and east of san antonio.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:43 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
Hmm, I would have said that in Austin, there's (in general) a more educated workforce, a greater established presence of "new economy" jobs, and the massive presence of UT for research/education/technology jobs, whereas SA would have a farther way to go in that regard. In addition San Antonio derives a lot more money from tourism which is strongly influenced by current economic conditions.

But I admit to having spent only limited time in SA and I may not be treating it fairly. I'm surprised to see it so high in the "recession proof" list.
San Antonio is very diverse. Besides AT&T, Valero and H.E.B. headquartered in the city. San Antonio is fortunate to be one of the homes (the other being Houston) of Texas' (and one in the U.S.) most stable bank, Frost.

Austin is just state government employment (including UT) and the little high-tech that exists. I wonder what, if anything else, is done in the city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
But unfortunately Austin has no infrastructure. Of course a lot of people would like to keep it that way to discourage 'more people, more scars upon the land' (apologies to the late John Denver).
The highway system is intentionally designed to discourage population growth. I was surprised that Barton Springs is still very desirable after catching the "Entering Barton Springs Environmentally Sensitive Zone" sign on SH-360.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Pound for Pound San Antonio is the next boom city not only in Texas but the USA. I challenge anyone to just drive around SA and compare the infrastructure to any other city in Texas. The city has proably the best highway system in the country.
San Antonio's (and other Texas cities') freeways look ancient compared to Houston's. IH-10 NW wasn't as finished-looking as the segment through the Westside of Houston, though San Antonio is better planned than Austin.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:57 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,147,347 times
Having read all of this, and based on my own perceptions, I would say the Dallas area is going to grow the most in total numbers of people with the Houston area right behind.

I expect Austin to grow the most on a percentage basis with the San Antonio area right behind.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:23 AM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
I would venture to say that Houston has a serious leg up on infrastructure. They only need work on just a few more freeways, and both ends of I-45 at I-610 need new interchanges, but the city is pretty much set for now, save for a few future toll roads. If only TXDOT were not out of money, Dallas would already be redoing many of theirs, since they are aging. But Big D does have upgrading plans in key areas, so that's one good thing. They still, however, need makeovers covering the entire network, and that will take years. As for SA (not part of the thread's topic, by the way), the system overall is comprehensive, but still outdated in places. Loop 410 needs, at least, four new freeway-to-freeway interchanges.

But both Dallas and Houston don't have any higher of an advantage over each other when it comes to available land and people still moving in. They just can't keep pace with the infrastructure already in place. One area is not going to be any different, growth-wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas