Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 12:46 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
And even though it's the 2nd most populated state in the nation it's not going to compete with California, New York City or Florida in tourism.

Point being Texas being in the top 5 is still a good look. That's still money going to the state. It's still drawing interest into the state. Suggesting it's only people visiting family or for business is just weak. Where's your data?
Texas being top 5 is only a good look if you have low expectations for Texas. We are a huge state in size and population in one of the easiest locations in the US to get to.

My evidence is purely anecdotal, but when I worked at DFW renting cars there were almost no leisure travellers besides cowboys weekends....almost everyone flying in was here for business, to scout to relocate, or to visit family because they had moved.

The low national park attendance is a pretty good indicator of leisure travellers....I mean even more remote places like Alaska or Wyoming or Montana get many, many more National Park Visitors. I mean, the low numbers are positive for anyone who wants to visit out NPs, but the low attendance shows people just don't think of Texas like they do Alaska, Montana, Wyoming (or of course: Colorado, Utah or California) as a vacation destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Alaska coming in 34th is not a huge deal at all. It's not terrible but again Alaska is a remote state that most Americans have little interaction with. And for a state with a declining GDP it's just going to be irrelevant for most Americans.
34 is punching above its weight....which is even more impressive because you have to go out of your way to visit.

Yeah thats tied directly to oil the declining GDP is a blip....and with global warming, Alaska will be fine in the future.

Texas is super easy to visit and yet punches a little below its weight....and that while having massive population growth. Seriously Texas should easily be #1 with all the new people visiting to move here and with 2 massive airports.

I'm sorry you didn't learn about Alaska in school...I blame the Texas School system for giving you the impression it wasn't an important state or that "No one thinks about it"

Old 11-02-2020, 02:14 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Texas being top 5 is only a good look if you have low expectations for Texas. We are a huge state in size and population in one of the easiest locations in the US to get to.

My evidence is purely anecdotal, but when I worked at DFW renting cars there were almost no leisure travellers besides cowboys weekends....almost everyone flying in was here for business, to scout to relocate, or to visit family because they had moved.

The low national park attendance is a pretty good indicator of leisure travellers....I mean even more remote places like Alaska or Wyoming or Montana get many, many more National Park Visitors. I mean, the low numbers are positive for anyone who wants to visit out NPs, but the low attendance shows people just don't think of Texas like they do Alaska, Montana, Wyoming (or of course: Colorado, Utah or California) as a vacation destination.
Quote:
34 is punching above its weight....which is even more impressive because you have to go out of your way to visit.

Yeah thats tied directly to oil the declining GDP is a blip....and with global warming, Alaska will be fine in the future.

Texas is super easy to visit and yet punches a little below its weight....and that while having massive population growth. Seriously Texas should easily be #1 with all the new people visiting to move here and with 2 massive airports.

I'm sorry you didn't learn about Alaska in school...I blame the Texas School system for giving you the impression it wasn't an important state or that "No one thinks about it"
You dedicate back to back post? Sensitive aren't we. And me and you come from 2 different worlds. Your from some boring ass state correct? Some place I'd never care to visit or move to. That's why you cry when big bad Texans pick on witty bitty Oklahoma huh? Your exaggerating the interest of one particular demographic as if that's the norm in this country. It's not. It's obvious you don't mingle outside your social circle much if at all.

Also lmaoooo@ Texas punching below its weight. Only you would say something as delusional as that. Where are you from again and why are you in Texas?

Old 11-02-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
You dedicate back to back post? Sensitive aren't we. And me and you come from 2 different worlds. Your from some boring ass state correct? Some place I'd never care to visit or move to. That's why you cry when big bad Texans pick on witty bitty Oklahoma huh? Your exaggerating the interest of one particular demographic as if that's the norm in this country. It's not. It's obvious you don't mingle outside your social circle much if at all.

Also lmaoooo@ Texas punching below its weight. Only you would say something as delusional as that. Where are you from again and why are you in Texas?
Eh, if you think it's cool to be a jerk to someone because they are from Oklahoma, thats on you. I just think big people don't pick on small people...maybe we are from different worlds

I'll criticize someone for acting like a jerk, but I'd never give you are hard time for where they are from.

Besides, arn't you from like middle of nowhere Texas? And you think Idaho is Boring? I mean surely you are just saying that out of spite.... i mean regardless of if you would want to live there or not, you would have to be an incredibly boring person to not find at least some aspects of the state interesting.

Too bad you are too close minded to be interested in places outside your own small world.

Texas is a great state, but as far as tourism goes, yes, it does punch below it's weight...im not sure how that is possibly controversial?

Old 11-03-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Eh, if you think it's cool to be a jerk to someone because they are from Oklahoma, thats on you. I just think big people don't pick on small people...maybe we are from different worlds

I'll criticize someone for acting like a jerk, but I'd never give you are hard time for where they are from.

Besides, arn't you from like middle of nowhere Texas? And you think Idaho is Boring? I mean surely you are just saying that out of spite.... i mean regardless of if you would want to live there or not, you would have to be an incredibly boring person to not find at least some aspects of the state interesting.

Too bad you are too close minded to be interested in places outside your own small world.

Texas is a great state, but as far as tourism goes, yes, it does punch below it's weight...im not sure how that is possibly controversial?
You generalized an entire state based on a few interactions you've had with some North Texans about Oklahoma. Maybe you should re evaluate the people you hang with if they're picking on Oklahoma natives.

I'm a Texan native and grew up in East Texas, went to college in Central Texas, live in Houston and have spent lots of time in Hill Country and the metroplex throughout my lifetime. South, West and the Panhandle are the only parts of the state I haven't been to. This Oklahoma bashing you speak of I've never bare witness to it.

The closest thing to Oklahoma bashing is UT/OU rivalry. Other than that I have friends and family in Oklahoma. I know Oklahoma natives who live in DFW. Can't recall a time where anyone would get clowned for being from Oklahoma. You act as if that's a common Texas attitude. It's not.

I mean your first post sounded real personal. Like who are you talking about when you say " It's the Bragging about being the most beautiful, wonderful state while having been to less than 10 other states, for me." ?

That's clearly personal. That's not the majority of Texans. Texans are not monolithic people with a monolithic culture. I have much more in common culturally with someone from Memphis than I do with someone in Abilene.

And I was just being mean about your home state. I don't know nearly enough about Idaho to properly judge it. It's not that interesting to me but i'm pretty sure it's something for me to enjoy especially nature wise.

Old 11-04-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
You generalized an entire state based on a few interactions you've had with some North Texans about Oklahoma. Maybe you should re evaluate the people you hang with if they're picking on Oklahoma natives.

I'm a Texan native and grew up in East Texas, went to college in Central Texas, live in Houston and have spent lots of time in Hill Country and the metroplex throughout my lifetime. South, West and the Panhandle are the only parts of the state I haven't been to. This Oklahoma bashing you speak of I've never bare witness to it.

The closest thing to Oklahoma bashing is UT/OU rivalry. Other than that I have friends and family in Oklahoma. I know Oklahoma natives who live in DFW. Can't recall a time where anyone would get clowned for being from Oklahoma. You act as if that's a common Texas attitude. It's not.

I mean your first post sounded real personal. Like who are you talking about when you say " It's the Bragging about being the most beautiful, wonderful state while having been to less than 10 other states, for me." ?

That's clearly personal. That's not the majority of Texans. Texans are not monolithic people with a monolithic culture. I have much more in common culturally with someone from Memphis than I do with someone in Abilene.

And I was just being mean about your home state. I don't know nearly enough about Idaho to properly judge it. It's not that interesting to me but i'm pretty sure it's something for me to enjoy especially nature wise.
I've spent 10 years in Texas and have known, gone to school with or worked with a pretty wide variety of people from different parts of the state.

The only Region I haven't spent time in is South Texas/ the Valley. Every other region I've visited multiple times and actually stayed in spent time in, as in, spent multiple nights. (not just driven though). I won't consider my time in Texas complete till I've crossed South Texas/ the RGV off my list...I'm usually genuinely interested in new places...I'm just shy of 40 states at this point and I can tell you something I found interesting or enjoyed about ever one I've been to. I'd encourage you to check out Idaho if you haven't, the world is more interesting that most people think.

I've heard plenty of Oklahoma bashing from Texans of all types, but yeah sure it is more of a north Texas thing and less of a Houston thing.

I can't count the number of times someone has said "Texas has the Most Beautiful Sunsets in the world" I mean ya, some are great, but I wouldn't say that.

I've encountered many, many people who think that the Hill Country is on par, or basically on par with the Colorado Rockies in terms of natural beauty and outdoor recreation opportunities.

If this was a one or two time think I would just disregard it...but I've heard it from multiple people.

Many of the "signature" nature spots in Texas outside the national parks are just ok, and over crowded. Others, like the Narrows on the Blanco are surrounded by hostile little men who try to harass anyone who legally uses the river (public access) to get to them.

Lots of midwestern states are like that....but people from there will be honest and say yeah our state isn't the prettiest, but it's a nice place to live/ they personally like it/ whatever. Texans dig and and tell you Texas is the greatest state ever and if you don't agree with them, leave.

To bring it back to the Thread Topic, I think that the reason many people find Texans annoying is because they brag no mater what. They brag about things worth bragging about, and they brag about things that arn't worth bragging about...and then they brad about things that are actually quite common...but they don't realize they are because they have limited experience outside of Texas. That's annoying.

To quote the clerk in a Utah motel I stayed at recently: "The Problem with Texas is it is full of Texans."

Old 11-04-2020, 02:17 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
I think at this point the problem with Texas is that it's full of non Texans.

Old 11-04-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I think at this point the problem with Texas is that it's full of non Texans.
So what, do we give it back to Mexico, Spain, or the Comanche (or other tribes)?

Old 11-04-2020, 03:46 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
Uh, none.

Old 11-04-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I've spent 10 years in Texas and have known, gone to school with or worked with a pretty wide variety of people from different parts of the state.

The only Region I haven't spent time in is South Texas/ the Valley. Every other region I've visited multiple times and actually stayed in spent time in, as in, spent multiple nights. (not just driven though). I won't consider my time in Texas complete till I've crossed South Texas/ the RGV off my list...I'm usually genuinely interested in new places...I'm just shy of 40 states at this point and I can tell you something I found interesting or enjoyed about ever one I've been to. I'd encourage you to check out Idaho if you haven't, the world is more interesting that most people think.

I've heard plenty of Oklahoma bashing from Texans of all types, but yeah sure it is more of a north Texas thing and less of a Houston thing.

I can't count the number of times someone has said "Texas has the Most Beautiful Sunsets in the world" I mean ya, some are great, but I wouldn't say that.

I've encountered many, many people who think that the Hill Country is on par, or basically on par with the Colorado Rockies in terms of natural beauty and outdoor recreation opportunities.

If this was a one or two time think I would just disregard it...but I've heard it from multiple people.

Many of the "signature" nature spots in Texas outside the national parks are just ok, and over crowded. Others, like the Narrows on the Blanco are surrounded by hostile little men who try to harass anyone who legally uses the river (public access) to get to them.

Lots of midwestern states are like that....but people from there will be honest and say yeah our state isn't the prettiest, but it's a nice place to live/ they personally like it/ whatever. Texans dig and and tell you Texas is the greatest state ever and if you don't agree with them, leave.

To bring it back to the Thread Topic, I think that the reason many people find Texans annoying is because they brag no mater what. They brag about things worth bragging about, and they brag about things that arn't worth bragging about...and then they brad about things that are actually quite common...but they don't realize they are because they have limited experience outside of Texas. That's annoying.

To quote the clerk in a Utah motel I stayed at recently: "The Problem with Texas is it is full of Texans."
I'm 36 so we'll agree to disagree. I've never heard anyone brag about the sunsets in Texas in MY LIFE. I've never heard any Oklahoma bashing outside of college football. And Oklahoma doesn't get mentioned like that in East Texas either.

I just think me and you are in completely different circles. I also rarely heard any Texans outside of annoying older White Texans brag about how "beautiful" the state is. Which could explain why I've never heard some of the things you speak of.

Yes there are a lot of annoying Texans when it comes to state pride. I also don't think it's cause Texans have limited experience outside of Texas. I don't even see how you judge a state full of 29 million people. Again these are personal experiences.

Texans brag about their state the same reason Americans brag about being American. It's ingrained in the culture. From a very young age your conditioned to be proud of Texas. And it's not necessarily a case of "Texas is better than everywhere else" but it's just "I'm PROUD TO BE A TEXAN" attitude.

Texas, like America just has good marketing when it comes to pushing that narrative to their citizens. Texans culturally just knew how to incorporate the state in everything culturally.

The foundation of Texas state pride really stems from the fact it was a republic for as long as it was. Yeah there's been other sovereign states of America but the Republic of Texas definitely was the longest and most significant republic from a historic stand point. And even after Texas annexation into America, that attitude stayed. That type of attitude or propaganda has been passed down from generation to generation.

That state pride has more to do with that than "a lack of experience outside of Texas". Texans can be in Alaska and will loudly and proudly still rep Texas. Similar to American tourist in Europe. Texans generally love Texas. And the more people hate it the more Texans generally love it. It is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas