Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2021, 10:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I was thinking about you during the winter storm last month. You guys ok?
Yes, thank you - we did fine. I lost power for three hours and have one small leak in one line in my back yard, but it has already leaked once before (before the storm) so I don't really know what the issue there is.

My pool equipment did fine thank GOD. That had me stressed out. Faucets, water, all that did fine. What a relief!

I did relearn just how much I hate really cold weather, snow, and ice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 10:38 AM

8,351 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
No, the jury isn’t out. Re-read the post. We have a whole world and a whole year of data to show us what works and what doesn’t. You can get ahead of viruses, even ones as contagious as covid, through quarantine and mass vaccination. The more you allow transmission, the more variants pop up. That’s why wealthy countries are helping out with vaccination in poorer countries before evasive variants spread too widely or pop up.

We agree that the US is generally only as strong as the states with the weakest responses because of freedom of movement. Certain states screwing all of us over by allowing their stupids to run rampant for no good reason isn’t an “oh well, it was inevitable” scenario. The light is at the end of the tunnel, and this isn’t the time to give up, especially when it won’t do much to cancel out the negatives of pandemic. These days, I’m increasingly arriving at the conclusion that the US should divorce into a handful of countries so that I can have a border between me and the Texas/the South while it turns itself into an English speaking version of Brazil.
Heres the deal. I do not agree with how Abbott is going about this and his motive is suspect. As Ive said many times I would have kept the masks and eased opening restrictions for now.

But Ill also say that some things are Constitutional and others arent. We cant block travel between states. We cant lock down. We could have had a federal response, but we had Trump. But even then, rebellion would have been so strong that it would have been moot.

Because we cant do those things, this was always how it was going to be. Because of that, it has to be up to the person to assess their own risk and act appropriately.

Even within Texas, the attitude is wildly different. In Houston, everyone wears masks with no issues. I spent two weeks in October in Lubbock with a friend of mine from high school (LA to Lubbock must have been crazy but he loves it there!) and no one was wearing masks anywhere no socially distancing and thats when the state had a mandate!

So yeah, I dont think theres anyway the US could have done this successfully.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
See, you're a full on Texan now, buddy!! You do you, and I'll do me and let's just see what happens. #merica
There are a lot of people in every state that feel that way. I wouldnt have felt any different in California and most of my friends that are still there feel that way too.

The attitude is more prevalent here but its not uncommon there either.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:28 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,241,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
There are a lot of people in every state that feel that way. I wouldnt have felt any different in California and most of my friends that are still there feel that way too.

The attitude is more prevalent here but its not uncommon there either.
The problem is that the primary purpose of masks is to protect others, not the wearer. If there were fully effective masks easily available, then I could buy the "personal responsibility" argument.

The issue is that wearing a masks protects others. No, it's not a guarantee, but one probably cuts down transmission at least by a factor of 5-10 or so, which is a BIG DEAL to slowing the spread.

Genuine, authentic, non-counterfeit N95 masks are still next to impossible to get!! I feel bad for the front line workers who are now forced to choose their livelihoods and being around a bunch of people who really don't care.

The mask mandate was for the people who really don't care. Those who choose to follow the science will still mask up - it's precisely for those who didn't care that the mandate was needed.

Abbott rescinding this encourages bad behavior, at times "Type A Bully" behavior.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:35 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, thank you - we did fine. I lost power for three hours and have one small leak in one line in my back yard, but it has already leaked once before (before the storm) so I don't really know what the issue there is.

My pool equipment did fine thank GOD. That had me stressed out. Faucets, water, all that did fine. What a relief!

I did relearn just how much I hate really cold weather, snow, and ice.
Hoping we don't have to experience something like that again.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:37 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
The problem is that the primary purpose of masks is to protect others, not the wearer. If there were fully effective masks easily available, then I could buy the "personal responsibility" argument.

The issue is that wearing a masks protects others. No, it's not a guarantee, but one probably cuts down transmission at least by a factor of 5-10 or so, which is a BIG DEAL to slowing the spread.

Genuine, authentic, non-counterfeit N95 masks are still next to impossible to get!! I feel bad for the front line workers who are now forced to choose their livelihoods and being around a bunch of people who really don't care.

The mask mandate was for the people who really don't care. Those who choose to follow the science will still mask up - it's precisely for those who didn't care that the mandate was needed.

Abbott rescinding this encourages bad behavior, at times "Type A Bully" behavior.
It's the outlaw, "you do you but don't infringe on me" attitude that is prevalent among Texans. It's great for the most part, but you not masking up affects me here in California. We're two months away guys. We can all be vaccinated soon. Hang on for two months.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post

I agree with the masks. I’ve gotten Covid, I have antibodies, and I still wear them.

I do agree with opening up.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:55 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,241,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I agree with the masks. I’ve gotten Covid, I have antibodies, and I still wear them.

I do agree with opening up.
Never said anything about opening up or not - it is solely about the masks.

I've had the vaccine and probably had COVID back in late Feb or early March 2020 before testing was available. Not worried about myself.

I have no problem wearing a mask. This is just stupid to unnecessarily put people at risk like this.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:59 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Just because you're unlikely to contract the disease doesn't mean you can't give it to me.

And how is this any different than the vaccine? By that logic, we would never remove the mask mandate even if every last person was vaccinated.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:03 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Just talked to my nurse friend who has lost Covid patients here. Her exact words "he (Abbott) is an idiot".

Respected infectious disease experts saying almost there but not yet so don't do it (open up fully and stop masking up).

Reputable scientists saying almost there but not yet so don't do it.

Nurses on the front lines saying almost there but not yet so don't do it.

But let's ignore all of them.

Even better, let's listen to a guy who is in fact ignoring all of them and who has no experience in any medical capacity and who has someone in his corner saying "people should be willing to die for the economy"

What could go wrong?

And they will be saying "almost there" a year from now. 14 days to flatten the curve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas