Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 09:59 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
1) I never told anyone how to vote. I can't control how they vote...but I do not have to be happy about it. Especially when it is for leaders that will bring policies that ruined the places they came from.

2) The people native to the state that do not like GOP rule should consider moving to a state controlled by democrats, if they really want to live under those policies. There are tons of democrat run states...pick one and go there and stop butting heads with those of us that do not want changes like that.

3) Yes, the conflict just might be rural vs urban, but I have several family members and friends that live in Houston, Austin and Dallas that do not vote blue, nor ever will. Many of us DO have plans to move to rural areas in retirement and yeah...I cannot wait.

Assimilation manes several things. Yes, politics factors in. but it also means adopting and accepting the current culture. Many come here and complain about the food, the weather, the gun culture, pickup trucks or other things, when it is VERY easy to do your research before coming and avoid TX if you find our culture disgusting.

I cannot imagine moving to a place, where I do not like the weather, the culture, the voting habits or the food and complain constantly or try to change everything about that place OR expect the natives there to adapt to my ways or change their views and habits.

No wonder the natives find you irritating....hello! LOL
1) Fair

2) No, they shouldnt. They should live wherever the hell they want. You contradict yourself here. You say those who were born and raised here but vote blue should leave. Its every bit their state as much as it is yours.

3) It is rural/urban. Its exactly the same in California.

As for other aspects of assimilation, I cant speak for everyone but almost everyone I know who lives in Houston that is from another city loves the food, the diversity, the cultural institutions, etc. Most that I know dont feel one way or another about guns. I dont care about them. Have as many as you want as far as Im concerned. As for pickup trucks, thats not really a cultural thing thats specific to Texas. You find them in places where they are useful more often then places where they are a statement. Again thats a rural thing more than anything else.

I get along great with everyone here. I have a great group of friends and to my knowledge no one finds me irritating (though Im sure many on this board do but Im unapologetic about that).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 10:25 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I’ve been noticing so many Texans (ESPECIALLY in Houston and Dallas) start complaining about new residents “over populating” our state. I get that they bring pros and cons, but if I were to mention HALF of the things people are saying about people coming in, this post would have to be taken down.

Texas is the Friendly State?? Really!?
Texas is still friendly. If you break down on a highway, you can count on someone stopping to help. People will feed and house others in disasters, and most will always help a neighbor. What you're tapping into is people that are becoming resentful at people moving to Texas, and immediately trying to change it to look like where they left. That doesn't make sense. If you moved to Texas, it was for a reason. If you immediately set about trying to change Texas into where you came from, you'll just be repeating a pattern.

Old 10-27-2021, 10:54 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,175,185 times
Quote:
1) I never told anyone how to vote. I can't control how they vote...but I do not have to be happy about it. Especially when it is for leaders that will bring policies that ruined the places they came from.

2) The people native to the state that do not like GOP rule should consider moving to a state controlled by democrats, if they really want to live under those policies. There are tons of democrat run states...pick one and go there and stop butting heads with those of us that do not want changes like that.

Assimilation manes several things. Yes, politics factors in. but it also means adopting and accepting the current culture. Many come here and complain about the food, the weather, the gun culture, pickup trucks or other things, when it is VERY easy to do your research before coming and avoid TX if you find our culture disgusting.
Only people who left for politics think the place they left were 'ruined'. People come to Texas for jobs, weather, COL or other practical reasons.

Most people who come from out of state had good things to say about the food.
The only time I hear people complaint about pickup trucks is when their drivers insist on backing into spaces in parking garages.
Even some native Texans don't care for the summer. I don't know anyone outside of this board who got offended by complaints about the weather. It's not like native Texans are responsible for them. In fact it's the native Texans who like to turn the AC up to 70 degrees in July.
I personally didn't care for the gun culture, but it only got to the point where I feel disgusted with 'constitutional carry'. Also most native Texans I know do not own guns so it's only at best subculture. There's no need to assimilate to a subculture.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Only people who left for politics think the place they left were 'ruined'. People come to Texas for jobs, weather, COL or other practical reasons.
Thank you.

People flee high cost of living, a job, better weather, or they want to live some place quiet WAYYYYYY more so than people leave for politics.

Many Texans have this idea that anyone would move here because they want to live in a red state. Some do, but they are the minority. I moved here because Rick Perry convinced my company to relocate.

Old 10-27-2021, 01:06 PM

1,952 posts, read 829,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Thank you.

People flee high cost of living, a job, better weather, or they want to live some place quiet WAYYYYYY more so than people leave for politics.

Many Texans have this idea that anyone would move here because they want to live in a red state. Some do, but they are the minority. I moved here because Rick Perry convinced my company to relocate.

True.

However...what CAUSED the high cost of living, the escalation of crime or noise? What caused the jobs to evaporate or leave and take root in places like TX and FL?

Politics!

Decades of rule by democrats and other authoritarian leftists create the situation that causes people to leave states like NY, CA, IL and NJ and flee TO states like TX, FL and TN.

Better weather? LOL...as if the weather in Houston is more desirable to anyone than the weather in Los Angeles. LOL

Higher taxes, loss of jobs and increasing costs of living do not happen in a vacuum...please.

Keep telling yourselves that politics is not what causes the migration, if it makes you fell better, but that does not make it a non-factor.

Old 10-27-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
True.

However...what CAUSED the high cost of living, the escalation of crime or noise? What caused the jobs to evaporate or leave and take root in places like TX and FL?

Politics!

Decades of rule by democrats and other authoritarian leftists create the situation that causes people to leave states like NY, CA, IL and NJ and flee TO states like TX, FL and TN.

Better weather? LOL...as if the weather in Houston is more desirable to anyone than the weather in Los Angeles. LOL

Higher taxes, loss of jobs and increasing costs of living do not happen in a vacuum...please.

Keep telling yourselves that politics is not what causes the migration, if it makes you fell better, but that does not make it a non-factor.
What drives cost of living is desirability.

SF, LA, NYC, Seattle, etc. are very desirable places to live in. NYC, DC, Boston, and SF for their urbanity and cultural amenities, LA for its weather and natural beauty, Seattle and Denver for their natural beauty, etc. Meanwhile, there are more than plenty blue run cities that are cheaper than the Texas cities like Detroit, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, etc. Chicago isnt that expensive either. Meanwhile, Miami is run by Republicans and very expensive. The reason? Desirability. People want to be near the beach and have no winter in the case of Miami.

Politics do not determine how expensive a place is. They really have little effect on that aspect of it. But liberals do prefer cities and Im sure that plays a part.

Austin is the most expensive city in Texas. Its also seen as the most desirable by Americans. That isnt a coincidence.

Another part of what drives costs is natural barriers. DFW has become more desirable in recent years but it has no natural barriers. Its on the Great Plains with nothing in it way to sprawl unto infinity. Every desirable city I named has many natural barriers.

Old 10-27-2021, 01:52 PM

Austin has become the new Los Angeles. The homeless camping and trash is out of control. The public camping in underpasses and in parks gives Austin a real LA/SF look. Crime there is out of control, due to the blue city council de-funding the police. Most natives there complain about the congestion, crime and the fact that they are being priced right out of their homes. Becoming less "desirable" as time goes by.....just like...Los Angeles.

Austin is a microcosm of what all urban areas will be like, when/if this state goes blue.

Detroit is affordable because the place literally crashed under blue leadership. The UAW kept demanding more and more of the US big 3 Automakers and they then moved their assembly to Mexico. That caused a mass migration of businesses and people OUT of Detroit. Crime and filth was out of control. You cannot blame that on the GOP....Detroit has not had a Republican mayor since 1964! Detroit used to be one of the wealthiest cities in America. Blue policies and leadership killed the place.

Chicago is another horrible example. Another city plagued with decades of blue leadership and is a hotbed of crime and violence. Is Lori Lightfoot an example of who you want running Houston or Dallas? God, I hope not! LOL

Sorry, but I cannot see how TX turning more blue is going to make this place BETTER. It has made every place you mentioned WORSE. Some will take decades to recover and might never make it back to how they were.

Old 10-27-2021, 01:59 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,175,185 times
Quote:
True.

How often do you even read the posts by people who want to move here? Lots of people move down here from the North because they don't like snow and cold winters.

Keep telling yourself that people move here for politics if that makes you feel better. If Texas gets too blue for you then you can always just move to a red state since that seems to be the only thing you think matters.

Old 10-27-2021, 02:28 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,945,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
What drives cost of living is desirability.

SF, LA, NYC, Seattle, etc. are very desirable places to live in. NYC, DC, Boston, and SF for their urbanity and cultural amenities, LA for its weather and natural beauty, Seattle and Denver for their natural beauty, etc. Meanwhile, there are more than plenty blue run cities that are cheaper than the Texas cities like Detroit, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, etc. Chicago isnt that expensive either. Meanwhile, Miami is run by Republicans and very expensive. The reason? Desirability. People want to be near the beach and have no winter in the case of Miami.

Politics do not determine how expensive a place is. They really have little effect on that aspect of it. But liberals do prefer cities and Im sure that plays a part.

Austin is the most expensive city in Texas. Its also seen as the most desirable by Americans. That isnt a coincidence.

Another part of what drives costs is natural barriers. DFW has become more desirable in recent years but it has no natural barriers. Its on the Great Plains with nothing in it way to sprawl unto infinity. Every desirable city I named has many natural barriers.
The natural desirability of West Coast cities contributes to their cost, but it is nowhere near the full reason housing prices are outrageous there. The regulations, permitting processes, and some taxes are just as big of factors if not bigger. Do you have any idea how long it takes out there to get new housing built? What do you think that does to prices? Especially when coupled with tech firms and other employers willing to pay high salaries, so local workers in those select industries have more power to push up prices.

The EXACT same thing happens in Austin.

Old 10-27-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
The natural desirability of West Coast cities contributes to their cost, but it is nowhere near the full reason housing prices are outrageous there. The regulations, permitting processes, and some taxes are just as big of factors if not bigger. Do you have any idea how long it takes out there to get new housing built? What do you think that does to prices? Especially when coupled with tech firms and other employers willing to pay high salaries, so local workers in those select industries have more power to push up prices.

The EXACT same thing happens in Austin.

Yes, I am familiar with the housing problems in CA, as my brother lives out there and I go there almost twice a year.

But again...WHO puts in place the restrictive construction requirements and regulations and high taxes? The blue politicians so yes...in the end...blue policies are not good for growth or long term livability by average Americans.

Some talk about a city's "desirability" well, Houston's has got to be the job market and the (somewhat) lower housing costs versus many blue states. What spurs job creation? It surely is not more regulations and restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas