Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 05:38 PM

9,903 posts, read 6,612,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
What drives cost of living is desirability.

SF, LA, NYC, Seattle, etc. are very desirable places to live in. NYC, DC, Boston, and SF for their urbanity and cultural amenities, LA for its weather and natural beauty, Seattle and Denver for their natural beauty, etc. Meanwhile, there are more than plenty blue run cities that are cheaper than the Texas cities like Detroit, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, etc. Chicago isnt that expensive either. Meanwhile, Miami is run by Republicans and very expensive. The reason? Desirability. People want to be near the beach and have no winter in the case of Miami.

Politics do not determine how expensive a place is. They really have little effect on that aspect of it. But liberals do prefer cities and Im sure that plays a part.

Austin is the most expensive city in Texas. Its also seen as the most desirable by Americans. That isnt a coincidence.

Another part of what drives costs is natural barriers. DFW has become more desirable in recent years but it has no natural barriers. Its on the Great Plains with nothing in it way to sprawl unto infinity. Every desirable city I named has many natural barriers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
The natural desirability of West Coast cities contributes to their cost, but it is nowhere near the full reason housing prices are outrageous there. The regulations, permitting processes, and some taxes are just as big of factors if not bigger. Do you have any idea how long it takes out there to get new housing built? What do you think that does to prices? Especially when coupled with tech firms and other employers willing to pay high salaries, so local workers in those select industries have more power to push up prices.

The EXACT same thing happens in Austin.
LocalPlanner is right. Desirability is a big part of Austin’s skyrocketing prices. But the lack of proper infrastructure (I.e. roads) that Austin has and doesn’t build is a huge reason for its prices. Just like natural boundaries have an effect, so do man made boundaries. Point blank, Houston and DFW have very little natural boundaries as well as endless systems of roads and interstates so they’re more prepared for the influx they’re getting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 05:54 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,622,556 times
I use to see road signs said to "Drive Friendly, It's The Texas Way", or something to that effect. I don't know if those road signs are still there or not, but I haven't seen any in a long time.

Old 10-27-2021, 06:07 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,622,556 times
As fast as Houston DFW, San Antonio and Austin have been growing, they never grew as fast as Chicago, Detroit or Los Angeles.

Chicago went from 112,00 in 1860 to 1.03 million in 1890, and 3 million by 1930.

Detroit went from 116,000 in 1880 to 1.5 million in 1930 and 1.8 million in 1950.

Los Angeles went from 102,000 in 1900 to 1.2 million in 1930. 2.8 million in 1970 and 3.8 million in 2020.

Old 10-28-2021, 06:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
You mean your loss.
No, I meant what I said. Don't get me wrong, I like Texas, but it's not my very favorite state. There are other great places to live outside of Texas.

Old 10-28-2021, 07:28 AM

1,952 posts, read 830,095 times
I agree. My favorite state is probably New Mexico and we are currently looking into possibly retiring there. I love the wide openness of the state and the lower population. It is just beautiful and I can mt bike nearly year round.

However, NM does tax retirement income and does have a state income tax. More closer research will have to be done to weigh staying in TX and paying our high property taxes vs. NM's state income tax.

The way our property tax situation is going in TX, it just might be cheaper to pay a small state income tax in another state and their lower property taxes than retiring in TX. I am not going to lie...I will miss Texas...if we are forced to retire elsewhere.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
I agree. My favorite state is probably New Mexico and we are currently looking into possibly retiring there. I love the wide openness of the state and the lower population. It is just beautiful and I can mt bike nearly year round.

However, NM does tax retirement income and does have a state income tax. More closer research will have to be done to weigh staying in TX and paying our high property taxes vs. NM's state income tax.

The way our property tax situation is going in TX, it just might be cheaper to pay a small state income tax in another state and their lower property taxes than retiring in TX. I am not going to lie...I will miss Texas...if we are forced to retire elsewhere.
I totally get cha.

I will miss Texas too, but I miss other places now as well, so there's that. Moving on! I nearly certainly won't stay in Texas past about three years or so from now.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:28 AM

5,615 posts, read 4,947,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post

I have to admit, I'm a little surprised at this - New Mexico is traditionally much more Democrat-leaning than TX. Its COVID restrictions were noticeably stronger than those in TX, for example. It's also one of the U.S.' highest-poverty states.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:51 AM

5,615 posts, read 4,947,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
LocalPlanner is right. Desirability is a big part of Austin’s skyrocketing prices. But the lack of proper infrastructure (I.e. roads) that Austin has and doesn’t build is a huge reason for its prices. Just like natural boundaries have an effect, so do man made boundaries. Point blank, Houston and DFW have very little natural boundaries as well as endless systems of roads and interstates so they’re more prepared for the influx they’re getting.
Austin's poor infrastructure does have impacts (not sure how much on housing prices), but their building restrictions and regulatory process have a much bigger impact on increasing housing prices, when coupled with the high-income job growth they have from the tech industry. They are following the Bay Area playbook - lack of respect for property rights and way too much power given to existing homeowners to have say over development.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:08 AM

1,952 posts, read 830,095 times
Quote:
I have to admit, I'm a little surprised at this - New Mexico is traditionally much more Democrat-leaning than TX. Its COVID restrictions were noticeably stronger than those in TX, for example. It's also one of the U.S.' highest-poverty states.

Yes, but NM is actually a great place to retire, as long as you stay out of the pricey spots like ABQ and Santa Fe. Las Cruces is amazing and I love the weather - no rain and no humidity. As a serious mt biker - I love the landscape and tons of trail options there.

NM has CO type scenery and some winter but not CO prices or touristy crowds and the winter is less severe than CO or other mountain states. El Paso is an hour from Las Cruces and there is plenty of big city things there if I need them.

True, NM is democrat, but those is smaller towns and rural areas are fairly red or they do not seem overly concerned with identity politics in general. There is a strong libertarian "you do your thing, I will do mine" in NM that I get when I am there. I totally agree with this line of thinking. Las Cruces is the second largest city in NM but it feels small and more rural. NM gun laws are pretty loose as well - another appealing feature versus other blue states.

Yes, NM is a high poverty state, but again, I am retiring there and do not need a job, so that is not real important.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:29 AM

9,903 posts, read 6,612,278 times
Quote:
Yes, but the “hardcore libs” of AUSTIN, Houston and Dallas are much louder than anywhere in New Mexico. The “blood red conservatives” of Texas are much louder than that of New Mexico. If anything, New Mexico is a representation of San Antonio where it’s blue leaning but not the magazine style liberals of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas