Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 11:06 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times

Advertisements

I think most people who move here do so because of the lower COL, no bad winter weather, and lower taxes. I doubt anyone moves here because of the character and beautiful nature. And yeah, Big Bend is beautiful but it's at least a 5hr drive from most places where people actually live.

I do like living here but if I could live in a place like Tennessee and have the same job market, I would move there in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 11:18 AM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I think most people who move here do so because of the lower COL, no bad winter weather, and lower taxes. I doubt anyone moves here because of the character and beautiful nature. And yeah, Big Bend is beautiful but it's at least a 5hr drive from most places where people actually live.

I do like living here but if I could live in a place like Tennessee and have the same job market, I would move there in a heartbeat.
Anywhere east of the Mississippi River generally has more greenery due to the fact that precipitation is evenly spread out across the entire year. The problem with the Plains states is that it gets very dry in the winter and is far more drought prone overall. Therefore, it is often much harder to grow certain things easily.

Old 03-03-2022, 11:34 AM

978 posts, read 1,059,169 times
Snowflakes on the right...snowflakes on the left.

Is there any place in the US left where you DON"T have to get in a daily political pissing match... seems like all logic has disappeared a long time ago.

Old 03-03-2022, 03:09 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Anywhere east of the Mississippi River generally has more greenery due to the fact that precipitation is evenly spread out across the entire year. The problem with the Plains states is that it gets very dry in the winter and is far more drought prone overall. Therefore, it is often much harder to grow certain things easily.
What I don't understand is what happened to all of the trees? Older neighborhoods in DFW have plenty of trees but newer neighborhoods barely have any. Did they clear out all of the trees to build the neighborhood or were there never trees there to begin with?

Old 03-03-2022, 03:33 PM

11,816 posts, read 8,023,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
What I don't understand is what happened to all of the trees? Older neighborhoods in DFW have plenty of trees but newer neighborhoods barely have any. Did they clear out all of the trees to build the neighborhood or were there never trees there to begin with?
Honestly I can't be 100% sure on this but my best guess is that newer neighborhoods were built on land that was formerly ranch or farm land which were already clear cut.

Old 03-03-2022, 04:12 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,636,125 times
Trees are cleared from most develop[ements. Then as people move in and develop their yards they will plant trees they desire. In 50 years then the neighborhoods look like a wooded suburban area. Go into any new development and see their little trees in the yard staked out to support them until they mature a bit.

Then the flip side of that would be areas like The Woodlands and Kingwood north of Houston where the developers wanted a wooded look from the start and trees were left except on the land developed itself (roads, parking lots, businesses, residential homes and their postage stamp yards).

Old 03-03-2022, 04:51 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,636,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I think your perceptions are a bit distorted. I'm in as heavily forested a region as there is anywhere in the US and we get 50-55" of rain yearly pretty spread out too. Winter is one of our wetter times. And, ain't no plains around here.

Old 03-03-2022, 09:59 PM

430 posts, read 291,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Sounds like your argument is more with NOLA. Louisiana is a heck of a lot more than the slums of New Orleans. Now to back up your thoughts, to an extent with mine, I haven't been to NOLA since 1999 and I agree these mostly dregs of society that invaded Texas (and Houston) are in a lot of cases just one step above the predator status of the animal kingdom. Been a problem since 2005 and stats are there to reinforce this.

But, many fine folks inhabit Louisiana and you equating these invading dregs of society to the La. population as a whole is tantamount to saying any whole population is bad due to the immoralities of a segment of that population. Just ain't right!!!

La. is a backward corrupt governments state. But it is also rich in culture(s) and worthy of partaking in that culture(s). Suit yourself in not going there and in your prejudices but your assessment is totally unfair and non inclusive of the whole. Just like aggressive people in Teas wherever they are from... understand where they come from (background), guard yourself from them, and enjoy the good parts of life. JMHO

BTW, SW, and mid coast to 200 miles inland was ravaged by 4 strong hurricanes the previous 2 years and those resilient people are not showing the characteristics you have attributed to Katrina refugees. Give LA. a break.
I guess my axe tends to swing towards NoLa but.......

I'm still not touching that state with a ten foot pole.

Old 03-03-2022, 10:07 PM

430 posts, read 291,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
This coming from a Florida native. The Irony LOL Never have I been to a more passive aggressive unfriendly CITY like I had with my experience in Miami. But than again I'm not going to generalize the entire state or even Miami based off some bad experiences I had over a 3 day weekend.

But you're whole take on Louisiana people I'd say is kind of interesting. Sounds like you don't have many interactions with people from Louisiana outside of your job and a sports rivalry. Which who judges an entire state based off the few people from that state at their job and a sports rivalry?

Now if we're talking Louisiana vs. the state of Houston, I tend to find Louisiana including NEW ORLEANS to generally be more outwardly friendly than Houston, Dallas and Austin. I'm not going to say these 3 cities are unfriendly generally but I think the sprawling, car centric attributes that make the metros create an environment that is less interactive and less intimate than smaller legacy cities like New Orleans. From my experience San Antonio seems like the friendliest major city in Texas.

I think what you have in the state is generally city vs smaller cities culture. Coming from East Texas, anytime I visited Louisiana including New Orleans I always found the state to be more friendlier and personal than the big cities in Texas. That's one of the reasons me and my Wife got married in New Orleans.

As far as Katrina? That was 2005. It's 2022. We're still holding on to that myth? Not to mention most people didn't even end up in 5th ward to begin. Not to mention 5th ward has always been a rough area since the late 60's so I don't understand where that statement was coming from.

Of course I'll be the first one to say that Miami without a doubt is one of the more passive aggressive capitals of the world. Remember going back in January, and I got attitude just for ordering a Publix sandwich smh.

I work in a call center at one of the most busiest Airports in the nation, worked in other departments with co-workers from Louisiana, and I can personally affirm that people from there have to biggest attitudes. Had a person train me who was from Louisiana who everybody had a problem working with, they always had to control everyone and everything. Add to the fact that the callers I get tend to have mostly ticket off attitudes came from *ding* *Ding* Louisiana. Even one of my Co-workers from Louisiana will tell you that the people from there are aggressive.

Don't even get me started on the Saints fanbase and how they booed Cam Newton when he got injured, just a deplorable fanbase and city.

Old 03-04-2022, 06:12 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,626,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrienlester View Post
Of course I'll be the first one to say that Miami without a doubt is one of the more passive aggressive capitals of the world. Remember going back in January, and I got attitude just for ordering a Publix sandwich smh.

I work in a call center at one of the most busiest Airports in the nation, worked in other departments with co-workers from Louisiana, and I can personally affirm that people from there have to biggest attitudes. Had a person train me who was from Louisiana who everybody had a problem working with, they always had to control everyone and everything. Add to the fact that the callers I get tend to have mostly ticket off attitudes came from *ding* *Ding* Louisiana. Even one of my Co-workers from Louisiana will tell you that the people from there are aggressive.

Don't even get me started on the Saints fanbase and how they booed Cam Newton when he got injured, just a deplorable fanbase and city.
Sounds like to me that's more of a work environment situation and not really indicative of New Orleans/Louisiana people on a day to day basis. Trust me many moons ago, I could recall 3 *******s on my job site being from Louisiana. Couldn't stand them. 2 were from New Orleans and 1 was from some small town in Cajun Country. Yet there were a couple other Louisiana people who were friendly as hell. I've also meet plenty of negative Houstonians at plenty of jobs I've had. If I based cities and states on interactions I've had at work with people than I'd probably hate every state and city in this country.

I judge a city/state based off my overall experiences in that particular area. Like I said, I was in Miami for 3 days and it was the WORST experience I had when it came to interacting with people. Now even though I do have somewhat of a negative perception of Miami, I'm willing to give it another try the 2nd go around. I also know Miami isn't like the rest of Florida even if your state has the WORST DRIVERS too. LOL

But I've been to New Orleans and Louisiana too many times to say it's a state full of rude aggressive people. Maybe some are like that because of the transition from New Orleans to a more hustle and bustle fast paced city like Houston but in my experience New Orleans in particular is one of the most hospitable cities in the south. The love me and my Wife received during our Wedding from locals wouldn't have happened in Houston or anywhere in Texas. Where in Texas can I get a local band to perform at our wedding, do a 2nd line in the neighborhood(Garden district) and have neighbors and random people walking by, in their cars join our 2nd line for our special day and shower us with well wishes and hugs and smiles?

Man I can remember almost getting into a fight in a road rage incident while I was on my way to attend one of my friends weddings in Houston. Which that's typical of Houston while driving. But you know *shrugs*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas