Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: National Supper of Texas
Chili (without beans) 4 6.78%
Chili (with beans) 2 3.39%
Chicken Fried Steak 23 38.98%
Fried Catfish 2 3.39%
Fried Chicken 1 1.69%
Enchiladas 0 0%
Tacos 0 0%
Barbeque 22 37.29%
Frito-Pie 0 0%
Other 5 8.47%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 09:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times

Advertisements

Definitely barBQ beef.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 10:10 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
How about Number 12 "all of the above"

How can anyone decide? Is a huge Rib Eye from Zentners Daughter in San Angelo better than BBQ from Lockhart? How about homemade chicken fry using real steak better than the best plate of Tamales from the Original Mexican Inn in Ft Worth?

I vote for "All the above". We're too big a state for just 1 best.
This I gotta agree with. There just ain't no pickin just one. Here are my reasons:

Chili (without beans) - well, it is the "official" state food. A good bowl of Chili on a cold winter night sure does the body well. It is good mixed in queso. We do have the Chili Cook-Offs.

Chili (with beans) - while I might like this one, um, no.

Chicken Fried Steak - Good golly miss molly, I grew up thinkin Chicken Fried Steak even from the worst place was better than any other selections. Here in Texas I believe only OUR Dairy Queen's offer the Steak Finger Basket.

Fried Catfish - Every Friday night tradition there growing up. We've been known all round this state to host big Fish Fries (us Texan's that is). Just look at the places that have THE BEST Fried Catfish that only offer it "all you can eat" one day a week and they are packed. Millers Grove comes to mind and they are only open 2-3 days a week. And some good hushpuppies are a MUST to go along w/ Fried Catfish w/ sides of Green Tomato Relish, Pinto Beans & a BIG glass of Sweet Tea.

Fried Chicken - emmmm, Babe's Chicken Dinner House. Good thing there is one close by me. They got some mighty good biscuits w/ fresh sorghum on the table. Fried Chicken is a staple on every potluck church dinner and every single lunch after the funeral back at the church.

Enchiladas - El Fenix. Every Mexican and Tex-Mex joint in all of Texas has the Wednesday night Enchilada Plate Special.

Tacos - Brisket Tacos... oh yes.

Barbeque - Why on earth did you start this thread. Now I'm hungry and I already had a good dinner of Brisket Quesadillo's. Kind of a TexMex meets BBQ. REALLY good too. I LOVE BBQ!!! This is also the ONE thing that we Texans are liable to fix up and invite the friends and family all over to enjoy. We take great pride in letting the kids play all day running around while the men are bbq'ing up some good meat for us all to eat on later. Followed by some homemade ice cream and a good game of horseshoes.

Frito-Pie - It WAS invited here in the Lone Star State. Another great winter meal or snack. Frito-Pie is served all the way from some fancy restuarants to every football stadium in Texas as well as out of every concession stand on every sports field/arena that exists in this fair state.

Other - Hmm, trying to think what that other might be. Well hold on.... fresh seafood from the Gulf of Mexico. Oh yeah baby. I LOVE SHRIMP! Go to this mexican food place in this little bitty old house down in Port A and get you some FRESH shrimp served up w/ lots of mexican influence. It is GOOD!

All of the Above - Count me in here. I can't pick just one. Gotta have all of them.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:34 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
BBQ, Tex-mex style.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:38 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,485 times
King Ranch Chiken

And Mine will Make your Mom Divorce her Husband. I made it happen.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:39 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
King Ranch Chiken

And Mine will Make your Mom Divorce her Husband. I made it happen.
See, there is ANOTHER Texas born and bred GREAT meal. It also falls into the church potluck and funeral dish catagory for Texas.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:11 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I've got to go with mom and car here. I can't pick just one. I have great memories of all of them, except for chili w/beans. My dad said beans are a sacralege (sp:sorry). My husband and I fight over this because he thinks beans in chili are a good idea.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:15 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I couldn't find the thread that mentions chicken fried bacon, but we were at Sams today and they had samples of sausage that was made in Snook, Tx today. It was actually really good.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:22 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Yeah, Chili w/beans should not even be on the list of options.

While TX BBQ is indeed spectacular, BBQ is a focus cuisine of many states. In particular, North Carolina has their own license on "BBQ" that consists of something almost completely different from what we eat here... As does Arkansas, South Carolina, etc...

so.... had to go with the already annointed TX dish of Chili (in the only acceptable format). Suprised I'm the only one. Just go to one of the festivals, esp. the big one in Terlingua!

Now, if "TX BBQ" had been an option, or we had a term to describe the specific type of BBQ we have here, that might have earned my vote. By TX BBQ, I am of course talking of smoked brisket mainly but possibly also including beef ribs and sausage... with no sauce or if there must be one, a sweet and brown-or-red colored somewhat thick sauce. Not mustardy or vinegary. Pork and/or Turkey are side dishes in TX BBQ. Nothing more.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:53 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I had to vote for chicken fried steak because I had never heard of it until I moved to Texas.
Same here!

Old 06-15-2008, 05:52 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Yeah, Chili w/beans should not even be on the list of options.
I agree I shouldn't have put it on there, since I am one of those who absolutely subscribes to the adage that Texas chili does NOT have beans. BUT...my excuse is that this very topic once came up and several Texans disagreed. Soooo, the reason for listing both choices was a bit of curiosity. However, again, I should have just said chili and let people make their own qualifications! Sorry, y'all!

Also, I should have just listed "Tex-Mex" as a choice. Well, you live and learn! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas