Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Sport best represents Texas"
Football 33 80.49%
Rodeo 2 4.88%
Both Football and Rodeo equally 6 14.63%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:05 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times

Advertisements

Good morning, fellow Texans.

I haven't posted a poll in a while, and a question on the "General American" forum prompts this one. The OP wanted to make a map indicating what sport is most popular in each of the United States. I thought this question might be interesting to singularly ask of Texans.

Both Rodeo and Football are recognized by the Texas Legislature as the "state sport". Rodeo as the "individual" and "football" as the "team." And just as the Amadillo and Texas Longhorn share honors as the "state animal" (the former the "small" the latter the "large"), there is not much -- at least IMHO -- to disagree with.

Anyway, between the two which do y'all think -- rodeo or football -- which is most reflective of Texas history and culture and outright enthusiasm within the state?

I hesitated -- and finally decided against -- making this a "Smackdown" poll. Reason being there are just good reasons for both. Sooooo, I am including the option of voting for "both".

P.S. and Off Topic a minute? Some of y'all have noticed the "Is Texas a Southern or Western State" thread back in the forefront? And my name as the originator? Well, yeah, I was. But...the thread is going on two years old, and one I started when I first discovered the Texas forum.

So, I just hope those who see it notice the original dates...and don't think it is something I just started up anew! Oh lord, believe me, unless tremendously provoked, I ain't ABOUT to revive THAT one again! LOL

I hasten to add that I mean the above in no way critical of newcomers who simply found the old thread and have no way of knowing just how often this one has come up (on countless other threads as well) and the general feeling of "just agree to disagree."

OK...anyway. Football? Rodeo? Or Both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 09:08 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
I soured on football when jerko Jerry Jones bought the Cowboys, and Tom Landry got canned. The antics of the players don't help since that time, so I just don't watch football other than an occasional Texas Tech game!

Give me a good rodeo any day. I love to watch bullriding!

Old 01-31-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I soured on football when jerko Jerry Jones bought the Cowboys, and Tom Landry got canned. The antics of the players don't help since that time, so I just don't watch football other than an occasional Texas Tech game!

Give me a good rodeo any day. I love to watch bullriding!
Cathy? I aint even decided which way to vote on my own poll. LOL I am torn between "both" and "football".

Just as a mention, I never thought of pro football being the premier variety in Texas. I would say mostly college and high school. Pro, at least IMHO, always lacked that necessary element of state/local color and pride. Of course, as you allude to, the Dallas Cowboys are a Texas icon...but that began to fade once Landry was callously fired. And by extension, lost a lot of the "America's Team" image (to say nothing of the "color" associated with the team during the 60's and 70's). It just became something much less "Texas"...I guess.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:50 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Football by far IMO. More people of more diverse group follows it compared to Rodeo. Nothing captures the spirit of small town Texas like High-School football. College football is a monster in the state of Texas. For the past 25 years, Texas has led the nation in Division 1-A (FBS nowadays) athletes in America. Texas has the 2nd most NFL players in the NFL. Speaking of the NFL, you can't forget about the Cowboys. They are bad now but they do have one of the winningest traditions in all of sports in the past 40 years.

I never been to a rodeo and most likely never will as well as most of the people I know in Texas.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Football by far IMO. More people of more diverse group follows it compared to Rodeo. Nothing captures the spirit of small town Texas like High-School football. College football is a monster in the state of Texas. For the past 25 years, Texas has led the nation in Division 1-A (FBS nowadays) athletes in America. Texas has the 2nd most NFL players in the NFL. Speaking of the NFL, you can't forget about the Cowboys. They are bad now but they do have one of the winningest traditions in all of sports in the past 40 years.

I never been to a rodeo and most likely never will as well as most of the people I know in Texas.
Great post and astute comments, Spade!

I finally voted and went with football...before I read your own post...but for reasons that were very similar to your own.

While rodeo has a very strong connection with the very real "Western frontier and cowboy" icons of Texas...it just doesn't begin to match football in terms of overall popularity and following.

And the "diversity" aspect you mention is another very important element that I had really not considered before. But makes perfectly good sense and relects my own experiences...

Old 01-31-2009, 11:01 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Cathy? I aint even decided which way to vote on my own poll. LOL I am torn between "both" and "football".

Just as a mention, I never thought of pro football being the premier variety in Texas. I would say mostly college and high school. Pro, at least IMHO, always lacked that necessary element of state/local color and pride. Of course, as you allude to, the Dallas Cowboys are a Texas icon...but that began to fade once Landry was callously fired. And by extension, lost a lot of the "America's Team" image (to say nothing of the "color" associated with the team during the 60's and 70's). It just became something much less "Texas"...I guess.
Well, "antics" was too light a word, as that covered theft, drug use and other illegal activities. They were no longer "America's Team" after Landry left. One season with the Johnson (I think that was his name)...and I quit watching. The days of Danny White, Randy White, Roger Staubach, Don Meredith, Too Tall Jones, Drew Pearson, Tony Dorsett, etc. are so long over.

Of course, that's quite a timespan, but you get my drift!

Since Texas has had 3 pro teams (Cowboys, Oilers, Texans), I always thought it was a really big deal in Texas.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:08 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Football>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>basketball>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>rodeo.

If that helps.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Well, "antics" was too light a word, as that covered theft, drug use and other illegal activities.
Most of these things (save the "theft") also took place during the "glory days" of the Cowboys. Thing was, that, just as JFK's sexual activities were "covered up" back in the day, so were many off-field antics of some of the more famous Cowboys. By both team management and the press. It was a day and age when everyone knew what went on...but it wasn't "celebrated" as being anything to be proud of or announce.

Today, there is such a mindless, cheap, "celebrity worship" in America, that all too many professional athletes (just as with Hollywood actors and actresses) start to believe they are truly "it" And who can blame them given the said national mindset...?

Quote:
They were no longer "America's Team" after Landry left. One season with the Johnson (I think that was his name)...and I quit watching. The days of Danny White, Randy White, Roger Staubach, Don Meredith, Too Tall Jones, Drew Pearson, Tony Dorsett, etc. are so long over.
Don't forget Bob Lilly, Jethro Pugh, Ralph Neely, Lee Roy Jordan, Pete Gent...and of course, Lance Renztel *grins*

Quote:
Since Texas has had 3 pro teams (Cowboys, Oilers, Texans), I always thought it was a really big deal in Texas.
Never like high school or college, I don't think. The Cowboys were something Texans were proud of, of course. But nothing like the absolute devotion and emotion that went/goes into high school and college.

On a more personal level, I want the Cowboys to win. The Ice-Bowl I remember....

But it is nothing at all like the pure chill bumps I get when I hear the "Eyes of Texas" or Texas Fight"... or my old high school alma-mater and fight song back when I was young and good looking and a powerhouse on the old gridiron!

*AHEM* Ok, Cathy. I got carried away. Actually, my football career ended in Jr. High School when I was a third string halfback. But see what Texas football does to one's memories?

Old 01-31-2009, 12:54 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
The hell with the Cowboys.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:43 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
The hell with the Cowboys.
And Jerry Jones.

Go Texans!

Where's deer hunting on the list?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas