Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 11:21 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Without being lengthy, I just can't tell a Texan from a Mississippian I guess. To me they're all southern. The accent of some southern states helps to identify, but there are so many native Texans, i.e. newscasters and the like who learned to talk differently and rid themselves of the southern drawl. I guess I just don't have the knack of spotting a "real" Texan, southerner, or whatever like some of you claim to have. It really isn't important anyway. What's important is character and values.

P.S. If cowboys aren't southern, why are there so many southern cowboys? One of the first thing a Texan likes to do is buy his little son or daughter is a cowboy hat and boots. Yes, Texas is synonymous with cowboys and I believe many southerners think that cowboy image is exactly that....southern.
There aren't. Most rodeo athletes don't come from the South, they come from the West, and most actual working Cowboys are in Texas and further west. Cowboy boots and hats aren't necessarily limited to working as an actual cowboy because they're very versatile and are used for most outside work. Southerners may wear boots and wide-brimmed hats without being cowboys--in fact, there are very few cowboys in the South. There may be people who work on farms and wear jeans and boots, but that doesn't make them Western ranch-style true cowboys.

Plus, "cowboy boots" and just plain work boots are different. Most Southerners are going to wear work boots for outside work, often brands like Red Wing. This doesn't make them cowboy boots, though they may appear to be to the uneducated eye.

On Bush's accent, he doesn't really drawl very much, and this is a key characteristic of the Deep South. He does have a bit of a twang, which would exemplify West Texas and Appalachia, but he doesn't pull it off quite like a native does. He rather just sounds like someone who's trying to talk with his mouth half-closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 11:23 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I have to ask where do you hear Texans bragging and going on and on about this state, because I hardly hear it? And please don't say on this forum.
Where do you think bumper stickers like "Don't Mess with Texas" and "Everything is bigger in Texas" comes from?? I guess you have been living in a vacuum but it's well known that Texans are proud of their state and discuss it in third person. I heard that all the time when I was in Texas. What's funny is I live in Phoenix and only the Texans refer to themselves as "Well I'm from Texas so...(enter phrase of your choice here)" How have you heard of this?

Old 06-26-2009, 11:28 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Where do you think bumper stickers like "Don't Mess with Texas" and "Everything is bigger in Texas" comes from?? I guess you have been living in a vacuum but it's well known that Texans are proud of their state and discuss it in third person. I heard that all the time when I was in Texas. What's funny is I live in Phoenix and only the Texans refer to themselves as "Well I'm from Texas so...(enter phrase of your choice here)" How have you heard of this?
The first is an anti-litter campaign, and the second comes from the fact that Texas was the largest state for over a hundred years and that things literally are bigger here. We have bigger cars, bigger hair, bigger cities, bigger men, bigger boobs, bigger meals, bigger deserts, and the list goes on and on.

And yes, I have heard of people prefacing things with "well, I'm from Texas," but it isn't very common. It would only be used to contrast something with the way things are done around here.

And I don't know how one could discuss Texas in anything other than the third person. It's not like the person literally IS Texas and can use the first person!

Old 06-26-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
On Bush's accent, he doesn't really drawl very much, and this is a key characteristic of the Deep South. He does have a bit of a twang, which would exemplify West Texas and Appalachia, but he doesn't pull it off quite like a native does. He rather just sounds like someone who's trying to talk with his mouth half-closed.
I agree, it's more of a twang than a drawl but relative to California, it's quite noticeable. And this accent isn't limited to west Texas. Even people from Houston and Dallas have twangs and pronounce words differently. For example in Dallas, no says 'ing, they say in. Even if someone has no twang with regard to their other words, they will never say running or cooking..they will say runnin' or cookin. And they still say you all or ya'll instead of all of you. Very Texan

Old 06-26-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
The first is an anti-litter campaign, and the second comes from the fact that Texas was the largest state for over a hundred years and that things literally are bigger here. We have bigger cars, bigger hair, bigger cities, bigger men, bigger boobs, bigger meals, bigger deserts, and the list goes on and on.
You just proved my point for me. It's that need to feel empowered by saying "everything is bigger in Texas." People in Texas feel the need to make things bigger out of a sense of state pride and to get noticed. That phrase may have originally meant one thing but it evolved to mean something else. And I doubt people who have the "Don't Mess with Texas" bumper sticker are referring to anti-littering

Old 06-26-2009, 11:44 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
So many people just get their panties in a wad over "Don't Mess with Texas"when all it is is an award-winning anti-littering campaign. That they take it the way they do says a whole lot more about them than it does about the campaign (or the phrase) itself.

The bumper stickers are specifically ABOUT the anti-littering campaign, produced by it, so it's a little bit of a stretch (to put it kindly) to assume that the people that use them aren't referring to the campaign - that's the entire point of the stickers.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:13 PM

122 posts, read 507,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Why are we even arguing about this? It is an indisputable fact that Texans brag and boast about their state an order of magnitude more so than any other state. Texas Horse Lady and the other poster who claims they have not heard this are either deaf or not really Texans. Saying most Texans don't brag about their state is like saying 2+2=5. Case closed.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:04 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokctx View Post
Why are we even arguing about this? It is an indisputable fact that Texans brag and boast about their state an order of magnitude more so than any other state. Texas Horse Lady and the other poster who claims they have not heard this are either deaf or not really Texans. Saying most Texans don't brag about their state is like saying 2+2=5. Case closed.
Yeah, that's right. We ain't that great. That is why the good folks in California always seem to see the need to come over and constantly remind us how much better their state is over Texas. They don't brag at all.......

But no, we don't sit around constantly going on about how great Texas is. Unless of course they are referring to "Texas" that fine institution down in Austin. Hmm, maybe that is what the folks you have been hearing are actually talking about, the school. Talking about how much they enjoyed it and how the football team is going to get the national championship again someday soon. We Texans just don't know how to act. Bless those poor folks out at USC that sure felt the need to come over and spit on anyone that had on a Texas shirt a few years ago. Sad thing is, they really DID DO THAT! With KIDS PRESENT AND ON THE KIDS!?!?!?! Classy...

Old 06-26-2009, 01:21 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I tried to rep you but it wouldn't let me

Old 06-26-2009, 01:24 PM

38 posts, read 113,436 times
They both have [SIZE=3]Illegal immigrants :-)[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas