Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 04:15 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
My type of "nightlife" back when I was in College wasn't geared for being able to drive 80 Miles to Waco from Mockingbird, Westhiemer, or 6th Street at 2AM in the morning.
That isnt what I meant, but you probably knew that.

Im not saying Waco has anything on the level of Westheimer, Lower Greenville, or 6th street, but when you compare Waco to its peers like Tyler, Abilene, Amarillo, or Wichita Falls, theres actually a lot more to do.

Waco, Lubbock, and Bryan College station are all college towns and as such are going to have a decent nightlife for their size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 04:19 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
I'm not sure I should bite from a guy with your dubious screen-name, but what makes you think Baylor is stuck in the 1600's? Its student body and faculty isn't much different from any other Texas school its size and age.
Not according to any of my friends who have gone there. Your own post earlier illustrates it:

"We even had beer (gasp) at Baylor Law School functions. It was referred to as "Dr. Pepper" by the Baylor Chief of Police."

That's ridiculous. Grad students are of legal drinking age. It has nothing to do with what happens off-campus and everything to do with the antiquated and ultra-conservative and religious attitude of the school.

Quote:
Sounds to me like you didn't get in.
Odd personal attack aside, quite false. Admitted with an offer of quite a bit of money, though nowhere near enough to make me subject myself to Baylor or Waco.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:34 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,270,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Not according to any of my friends who have gone there. Your own post earlier illustrates it:

"We even had beer (gasp) at Baylor Law School functions. It was referred to as "Dr. Pepper" by the Baylor Chief of Police."

That's ridiculous. Grad students are of legal drinking age. It has nothing to do with what happens off-campus and everything to do with the antiquated and ultra-conservative and religious attitude of the school.

Odd personal attack aside, quite false. Admitted with an offer of quite a bit of money, though nowhere near enough to make me subject myself to Baylor or Waco.
Huh? We had beer paid for by Baylor University at Baylor Law School. How is that ultra-conservative and religious? The "Dr Pepper" comment was a sarcastic joke at the perception of drinking by the Baylor Chief of Police while drinking beer paid for by Baylor.

Undergrads can drink whatever they want off-campus at a bar, home, or school-sanctioned events. They just don't get Baylor-bought beer at official Baylor undergrad functions paid for by Baylor. You gotta buy your own in college. How is that ultra-conservative? Your college bought you beer? Maybe I did miss out. Graduate students are treated differently at Baylor and can have alcohol paid for at school-sponsored functions. I miss how that is ultra conservative and religious. But maybe it's because I'm ultra-conservative and religious?

On another note, o you went to the trouble of applying to and paying the application fee to go to this school you can't stand? Since I can tie my own shoes, I'm smart enough not to believe that one.

It sounds like you don't get the joke.

Last edited by hamiltonpl; 10-30-2011 at 09:44 PM..

Old 10-31-2011, 10:23 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
Quote:
On another note, o you went to the trouble of applying to and paying the application fee to go to this school you can't stand? Since I can tie my own shoes, I'm smart enough not to believe that one.

It was free. If I had been offered a full ride, I would have considered it.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:30 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I think it's so quaint how Baylor is stuck back in the 17th century.
It's people's ignorant views of Baylor that is from the 17th century.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:31 AM

419 posts, read 998,288 times
I don't think we should ever listen to people with personal experience or knowledge. Instead, we should only listen to the critics that don't have the taint of experience. So anyone who went to Baylor should be ignored! So what if Baylor allows its students to drink, dance and fornicate as long as its not in the middle of campus.

I have a belief based on a gut feeling and preconceived notions about Baptists that Baylor doesn't allow dancing, electricity or indoor plumbing. My college is so much better because we had dancing on campus! And we got to drink! At Baylor they can't do either of those things. I hear they even have to walk on their hands backwards and recite the Lord's Prayer. I heard it once at a sock-hop senior year.

These arguments don't reek of insecurity or willful ignorance... at all.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,012 times
Backwards as you may think the Baptists are? The latest peer reviewed research has also documented the damaging psychological and emotional effects of "hooking up" and even Angelina Jolie gets it; being married changes everything. Maybe have a teeny bit of respect for those who invested so munch in you, especially time they can never get back. I myself am not necessarily Baptist, however you may just discover that all these stupid adults get a little smarter every year you grow older. It is never smart to let someone use you or take advantage of you.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:06 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Quote:
I am willing to bet you never visited Baylor for a party. It's certainly not 6th Street. But the parties were nearly a carbon copy of SMU parties-- lots of rich kids at house parties with lots of kegs of beer and other alcohol. There were plenty of concerts, bars with live music and restaurants for the college-budget.

There are plenty of riff-raff in the Waco neighborhood next to Baylor. At first I scoffed at those people. But later, it made me incredibly thankful that I had my very blessed life.

It's true that Baylor didn't allow university sponsored dance parties to be held on campus until 1996. But that didn't keep the student body--or the university--from having dances off campus or students from having their own non-university sponsored dances on campus. I don't think university sponsored dances on campus is what makes UT Austin or Arizona State hard core party schools.

I think Baylor has some great facilities, but none of them are equipped to have a dance for the whole student body at one time. Instead, dances were mainly held in hotel ballrooms and the Waco Convention Center. Even today, "dances" are mainly held off campus. It's not that big of a deal. They aren't very popular after freshman year and I'm not sure many university sponsored dances are held today. Maybe I really missed out on the college experience because I didn't attend that many dances in the basketball arena at Baylor... but I doubt it. That seems kind of high-schoolish to me. But maybe I have that perspective because of going to Baylor. In college, going to house parties or to the bars was more fun. You're telling me that the on campus university sponsored dances were the big nightlife scene? No offense, but that seems pretty lame.

One of the main traditions at Baylor was called "Sing" where there was Broadway-production style singing and dancing (gasp) at Baylor -- since 1953. If dancing was forbidden until 1996, how did the university have one of its biggest events that included that "forbidden" activity?

So the no-university-sponsored-dancing on campus rule wasn't really that big of a deal. Its removal probably called more attention to it than anything.

Oh, and Ted Nugent writes a syndicated column and lives in Waco. So I don't see how that impacts Baylor. But I guess if you're throwing stones, you might as well throw as many as possible.
Wait...some colleges hold dances like proms? Went to UT Austin and I've never heard of this. Weird.

So I paid all that money so someone could have a Footloose moment?

Old 11-09-2014, 07:06 AM

227 posts, read 385,897 times
This is an old thread so I have no clue why it has been resurrected. The problem at Baylor and in Waco is not faith. The problem is fake faith and hypocrisy. Although there are some outstanding people and organizations in Waco, the problem is that in Waco and especially anyone connected with Baylor, having religion is a status symbol.

This means that there's an incredible amount of superficial faith and faith speak. The shallowness will astound you.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:54 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer2014 View Post
This is an old thread so I have no clue why it has been resurrected. The problem at Baylor and in Waco is not faith. The problem is fake faith and hypocrisy. Although there are some outstanding people and organizations in Waco, the problem is that in Waco and especially anyone connected with Baylor, having religion is a status symbol.

This means that there's an incredible amount of superficial faith and faith speak. The shallowness will astound you.
Wow this couldn't be any further from the truth..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas