Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 04:55 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,950,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
When is this going to be built?
I think next year.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:57 AM

875 posts, read 1,661,897 times
Default Houston Hands Down!

Now I’m from TX born and raised and I lived in both cites for about 5 to 6 years apiece and I will say that Houston is the best city in TX and the south. Here is why:

Diversity- I think a lot of people overlook Houston’s diversity. Houston is the most diverse city in TX and is very proud of it. You get a taste of every culture here. This is a winner to many people in the younger generation.

Globally- Houston is more of an International city then Dallas. (I think this is an important part that makes your city a city). Also Houston is 2nd after NYC for fortune 500 hundred companies and has been noted for its oil industry and energy section (Houston has been known as the energy and oil capital of the world).

Arts- Houston has the largest theatre district in TX and is second to NYC in terms of theatre seats and me personally in terms of museums (the Houston Children Museum is the best in the country) zoos and Malls (the Galleria is the largest mall in TX and the south) Houston wins. Yea DFW may have Six Flags. But when Earthquest Adventures finishes...all that will change. I have also herd that Disney wants to build something in Katy..but I doubt that.

Downtown- Houston wins again to me. With the largest downtown in the state and in the south there is way more to do than Dallas. (Houston has a underground downtown it so freaking cool..lol). Houston Downtown is filled with entertainment. You got the up coming Warehouse District and Eastdowtown that is growing.

Cosmopolitan- Midtown, uptown, TMC, Montrose, east downtown, greenspoint & westchase just to name a few...Houston is more urban then Dallas and its growing

Convenience- Even though the traffic in Houston may be bad. Its a pretty convient city. Everything is close..you do not have to go far to do much.

Food and Restaurants- Houston wins again. Houston restaurant are far more way better than Dallas.

Close to the coast- You can go to the Beach. (Yea Galveston is not the best of beaches but its still a beach lol)

I think that Dallas is a cool place..BUT Houston is better...look at all the facts..CAN DALLAS REALLY TOP THAT?????

Old 05-04-2011, 12:47 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Someone can easily do the same thing for Dallas that you did for Houston, most were just your opinion. By the way, Westchase is nothing special, and downtown is ok, could be much better for a city of over 2 million.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:10 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Someone can easily do the same thing for Dallas that you did for Houston, most were just your opinion. By the way, Westchase is nothing special, and downtown is ok, could be much better for a city of over 2 million.
actually most thing s on there are facts.
How can Dallas claim to be closer to the coast, or to have a larger downtown, or to have a larger theater districts or to have a larger concentration of museums, or the largest mall.

Unless Dallas moves between Houston and Galveston, these things are all facts

Old 05-04-2011, 01:10 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Well, you do know this is a smackdown thread don't you?

So what's wrong with opinions. Alot of generalizations where people downtalk Houston are opinions and assumptions. Not from actually visiting the city itself.

And i agree, Dallas (well excuse me, Dallas/ Ft Worth metroplex) does have a lot of things going for it. D/FW as a whole has grown to be a very international area (by sheer numbers) but not feel like Houston.

And yeah, Houston has a pretty lousy downtown for a city over 2 million. Hopefully when they complete those 2 rail lines running into it along with the developments coming to the eastern part of downtown, it will get better.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:16 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,536,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
actually most thing s on there are facts.
How can Dallas claim to be closer to the coast, or to have a larger downtown, or to have a larger theater districts or to have a larger concentration of museums, or the largest mall.

Unless Dallas moves between Houston and Galveston, these things are all facts
I don't know.

Houston has the "biggest" mall, but it doesn't have the nicest malls or the amount of shopping available per capita that Dallas has.

I'd say Houston having a better food and restaurant scene is quite an opinion. Dallas is known for its foodie scene.

Houston's downtown might be physically larger, but I don't see necessarily see more foot traffic or more going on in downtown Houston. Both downtown areas are largly mediocre for cities their size.

I'd be willing to say that Houston, the city, has more going on inside of it than Dallas, the city. But Dallas, the area, kills the greater Houston area. No contest.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:28 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,609,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Now I’m from TX born and raised and I lived in both cites for about 5 to 6 years apiece and I will say that Houston is the best city in TX and the south. Here is why:

Diversity- I think a lot of people overlook Houston’s diversity. Houston is the most diverse city in TX and is very proud of it. You get a taste of every culture here. This is a winner to many people in the younger generation.

Globally- Houston is more of an International city then Dallas. (I think this is an important part that makes your city a city). Also Houston is 2nd after NYC for fortune 500 hundred companies and has been noted for its oil industry and energy section (Houston has been known as the energy and oil capital of the world).

Arts- Houston has the largest theatre district in TX and is second to NYC in terms of theatre seats and me personally in terms of museums (the Houston Children Museum is the best in the country) zoos and Malls (the Galleria is the largest mall in TX and the south) Houston wins. Yea DFW may have Six Flags. But when Earthquest Adventures finishes...all that will change. I have also herd that Disney wants to build something in Katy..but I doubt that.

Downtown- Houston wins again to me. With the largest downtown in the state and in the south there is way more to do than Dallas. (Houston has a underground downtown it so freaking cool..lol). Houston Downtown is filled with entertainment. You got the up coming Warehouse District and Eastdowtown that is growing.

Cosmopolitan- Midtown, uptown, TMC, Montrose, east downtown, greenspoint & westchase just to name a few...Houston is more urban then Dallas and its growing

Convenience- Even though the traffic in Houston may be bad. Its a pretty convient city. Everything is close..you do not have to go far to do much.

Food and Restaurants- Houston wins again. Houston restaurant are far more way better than Dallas.

Close to the coast- You can go to the Beach. (Yea Galveston is not the best of beaches but its still a beach lol)

I think that Dallas is a cool place..BUT Houston is better...look at all the facts..CAN DALLAS REALLY TOP THAT?????
Oh lawdy, I just can't.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:34 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I don't know.

Houston has the "biggest" mall, but it doesn't have the nicest malls or the amount of shopping available per capita that Dallas has.

I'd say Houston having a better food and restaurant scene is quite an opinion. Dallas is known for its foodie scene.

Houston's downtown might be physically larger, but I don't see necessarily see more foot traffic or more going on in downtown Houston. Both downtown areas are largly mediocre for cities their size.

I'd be willing to say that Houston, the city, has more going on inside of it than Dallas, the city. But Dallas, the area, kills the greater Houston area. No contest.
well he did say the biggest mall.

and how does DFW blow Houston away?? There is nothing there that is not in Houston.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:31 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
I don't know.
The Dallas Galleria was modeled after the Houston one. Anyway, both are great shopping cities.

Houston is top U.S. shopping city, per Forbes - New York Daily News (http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-12-14/entertainment/27084334_1_sales-tax-shopping-centers-shopping-city - broken link)

Quote:
Esquire, Forbes and others continually rank Houston as a top ten restaurant city, and the only city in Texas on their top lists. Dallas is known for having a few uber-fancy places, but Houston is known for having a top, world-class, overall scene.

Best Restaurant Cities - The Best Restaurant Cities in America 2010 - Esquire

Quote:
I don't know I'd say "kills" it... The Woodlands and Sugar Land are very nice and seem to have a lot going on, and the Bay Area/Clear Lake is something like 3rd in the US for number of pleasure boats.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:50 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
I don't know.

Fact: Houstonian's dine out more than any other city.

Quote:
Pick your city up & position it on the coast or near a significant body of water then we'll talk. The dry, glorified creek bed that is the Trinity with a bridge to no where doesn't count, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas