Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 11:35 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Margaret Hunt Hill bridge gives the commuter a direct east-west link to/from downtown all the way to Loop 12 (via Singleton) while avoiding I-30.

People will argue for awhile whether the design and costs for the bridge were necessary. That's cool, because in the mean time it will be serving it's main purpose, while attracting development to West Dallas.

Bayport is a monument to wasteful spending, coupled with poor planning. It's a flat out boondoggle. I'm curious, how many tax dollars have been and still are being spent for maintenance costs, in additional to the $106M already in the hole.

Galveston already had a cruise terminal with tenants and is a far more attractive draw for leisure travellers. What was the City of Houston thinking?
But you're acting like there weren't bridges there already doing the exact same thing. What are the condo sales on the Museum Tower like? It looks nice, but I'm not sure using police and firemen retirement funds to build a condo tower in an already very saturated condo market, is a good idea.

But hey, Houston could still use the Dallas model for Bayport....the development will come eventually. Don't know how long, but it will come. Maybe or maybe not. You're acting like West Dallas is already fully developed from this thing. I'm not seeing how one bridge is going to change the entire side of West Dallas. A bridge you can't even bike or walk across.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:46 AM

6,695 posts, read 9,950,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
But you're acting like there weren't bridges there already doing the exact same thing. What are the condo sales on the Museum Tower like? It looks nice, but I'm not sure using police and firemen retirement funds to build a condo tower in an already very saturated condo market, is a good idea.

But hey, Houston could still use the Dallas model for Bayport....the development will come eventually. Don't know how long, but it will come. Maybe or maybe not. You're acting like West Dallas is already fully developed from this thing. I'm not seeing how one bridge is going to change the entire side of West Dallas. A bridge you can't even bike or walk across.
That's why the other bridge is going to be turned into a park.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:09 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Margaret Hunt Hill bridge gives the commuter a direct east-west link to/from downtown all the way to Loop 12 (via Singleton) while avoiding I-30.

People will argue for awhile whether the design and costs for the bridge were necessary. That's cool, because in the mean time it will be serving it's main purpose, while attracting development to West Dallas.

Bayport is a monument to wasteful spending, coupled with poor planning. It's a flat out boondoggle. I'm curious, how many tax dollars have been and still are being spent for maintenance costs, in additional to the $106M already in the hole.

Galveston already had a cruise terminal with tenants and is a far more attractive draw for leisure travellers. What was the City of Houston thinking?
In Houston they throw things together really fast just to be able to claim that they have it and never give a %^$# about planning because Houston has no-zoning...Lose/Lose situation IMO.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:23 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
...like decorating a bridge as the centerpiece for a project that has yet to become a reality. If anything, it should've came last. As I said earlier, it's Dallas' desperate ploy for attention. They want to be somebody so bad. Don't get me wrong, Houston does too, but in a way that we maintain our character and identity.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:32 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
...like decorating a bridge as the centerpiece for a project that has yet to become a reality. If anything, it should've came last. As I said earlier, it's Dallas' desperate ploy for attention. They want to be somebody so bad. Don't get me wrong, Houston does too, but in a way that we maintain our character and identity.
What city shouldn't want attention??...Of course we want attention...that's how the economies of great cities flourish.....whats wrong with creating buzz to lure visitors and tourist...All great cities do it....Houston needs to catch on.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
What city shouldn't want attention??...Of course we want attention...that's how the economies of great cities flourish.....whats wrong with creating buzz to lure visitors and tourist...All great cities do it....Houston needs to catch on.
The attention Dallas seeks is out of desperation. If popularity is truly beneficial to the economy, then explain how Houston, a city that flies well below the radar, has one of the most outstanding economies in the nation.

As far as which is the greater city, I suppose there's no good reason Houston made it further in the Olympic race, back in the day.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:59 PM

I'm reminded that somebody was supposed to be telling me what Dallas has that Houston, Atlanta, or even Miami, doesn't. Someone help me understand what makes Dallas stand out amongst its southern peers.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:02 PM

350 posts, read 867,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm reminded that somebody was supposed to be telling me what Dallas has that Houston, Atlanta, or even Miami, doesn't. Someone help me understand what makes Dallas stand out amongst its southern peers.
In n Out

Old 03-03-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
In n Out
Hmm, no thanks.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:12 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times
Side note: What is going on with Fort Worth Dunbar Basketball program? 35 consecutive tourney appearances snapped last year and missed the playoffs again this year. One of the best basketball programs in the state has completely hit rock bottom.

Fort Worth Dunbar - Dallas High School Blog - ESPN Dallas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas