Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2007, 05:50 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,948,345 times

Advertisements

From Dallas/Fort Worth, MERRY CHRISTMAS to you Houstonians and your fine city! May Houston continue to be a great, great city with an even greater future.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:13 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,150,561 times
I have lived around Dallas for many years---Denton, Gainesville, Abilene---but never in it. From Abilene, we have two airlines---One goes to Dallas and one goes to Houston.

Here is my take on Dallas and Houston---I have been in both many times on business and through both airports more times than I want to think about.

I have found the traffic around the Bush airport to be less than the the Dallas airport.

I find the Bush airport easier to connect in than the Dallas airport.

But I still prefer Dallas. Somehow, Dallas seems more cosmopolitan to me and more of a city. I can't give stats or reasons; it is just a feeling I have when I am there, and it may be tied to the sheer number of people in the DFW area as opposed to the Houston area.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:26 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,422,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
I have lived around Dallas for many years---Denton, Gainesville, Abilene---but never in it. From Abilene, we have two airlines---One goes to Dallas and one goes to Houston.

Here is my take on Dallas and Houston---I have been in both many times on business and through both airports more times than I want to think about.

I have found the traffic around the Bush airport to be less than the the Dallas airport.

I find the Bush airport easier to connect in than the Dallas airport.

But I still prefer Dallas. Somehow, Dallas seems more cosmopolitan to me and more of a city. I can't give stats or reasons; it is just a feeling I have when I am there, and it may be tied to the sheer number of people in the DFW area as opposed to the Houston area.
They are about the same in population (DFW leads by 400,000). You can't really tell the difference.

I feel the exact opposite. Houston feels a lot bigger than Dallas, especially when driving through.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
Actually I havent forgotten that Houston has more buildings. Please see previous posts.
But fact is uptown Houston is 9.76 miles away from downtown Houston. There is a definite gap. Though MPOPE did provide a very nice angle which captures downtown and uptown Houston. But believe me, Houston is no NYC, It's not Chicago.
And the context of previous posts on Dallas was that Dallas is adding 25 high rises currently, and 25 more in the next 5-10 years. I have said in previous posts that the dallas urban core has fewer, but we maybe more architecturally distinct b/c we're building more buildings, and that dFW overall has at least the same if not more high rises. Please see previous posts...

As for continuity, then you can say Downtown/uptown Dallas bleeds into Market center which semibleeds into Las Colinas (which is a stretch by my admission)...but essentially you're saying that. If you look at MPOPE's picture, there is a gap. downtown houston in the foreground, uptown in the horizon 9.76 miles away.
One thing I have noticed now is that a lot of those buildings in Downtown/Uptown Dallas are sitting vacant. There is a serious oversupply of condos and office in the DT/UT areas of Dallas. Some projects are on hold until the supply drops. There will not be that many highrises completed in the next 5-10 years.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:56 AM

And for some good laughter, read this page: //www.city-data.com/forum/texas...ckdown-81.html

Old 12-26-2007, 01:49 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,581,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Look at the Phoenix metro stats. Cities in the west tend to be more dense than cities to the east because they are hindered by mountains to grow. But Dallas and Houston are way more urban than Phoenix.
Can I have a link please?

Old 12-26-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post

Cosmopolitan isn't exactly a relative term. It can't really be based on opinion. Not to throw salt, but Houston is more cosmopolitan than Dallas. That's a fact.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
They are about the same in population (DFW leads by 400,000). You can't really tell the difference.
Exactly.

Quote:
I feel the exact opposite. Houston feels a lot bigger than Dallas, especially when driving through.
A LOT bigger.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:03 PM

132 posts, read 596,882 times
That's the whole problem, Dallas is too Texan. That's why Houston gets my vote as the best of the 2 cities. Beautiful skyline, modern, Ima Hogg's Gardens and mansion, Galvaston, great gay scene, I really like Houston. The weather is Atrocious, unbearable in summer (like UGH Orlando) but slightly more world-class. Dallas is a great city too. But the provincial cowboy crap can be a bit much at times.
Love and PEACE (please) in the new year!!!!
-Don

Old 12-26-2007, 06:47 PM

20,523 posts, read 33,590,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Can I have a link please?
The cities of Houston and Dallas are denser than Phoenix but the Phoenix metropolitan area is denser than Houston simply because of geography. This is why Los Angeles is the densest metropolitan area among major metropolitan areas in the nation.

Here are the top major metropolitan areas in the nation ranked by density levels.
Los Angeles
New York
San Francisco
Miami
San Diego
Phoenix
Chicago
Washington DC
Boston

The Link showcases the top 20 highest density metropolitan areas and these are 9 of the major metropolitan areas with a population of at least 2.5 million. No Philadelphia, no Dallas, no Houston, no Atlanta. The last three cities are at the bottom of the top 20.
Here's the link so you can see for yourself.
http://http://www.brookings.edu/es/urban/publications/fulton.pdf (broken link)
It's a PDF file but it's well worth the wait for it to be downloaded.
Quote:
A LOT bigger.
I disagree with A LOT bigger. While I do get the bigger city feel in Houston than I do Dallas, I think by saying A LOT bigger is overexagerrating it.

Last edited by Spade; 12-26-2007 at 06:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas