Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 12:28 PM

350 posts, read 868,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
I thought this was an interesting article:

D Magazine : Why Young Black Professionals Are Wary of Dallas

This article proves why Houston is the superior city in Texas for black professionals who have to move to Texas because it's a much more accepting city for people of all backgrounds. Black professionals in Dallas are seen as being "uppity" by the natives and many of the transplants.
Did you even read the article? First of all, the word uppity doesn't appear once, so your quote is made up. Second of all, it blames the (slightly) lower rate of black migration to Dallas on perception.

I also find it interesting that the article advocates for integration in the city, yet seems to take issue with the fact that black people can't find entirely black niches to socialize in. So which is it? Integration or segregation? I think a black patron walking into a bar, being treated respectfully, and then looking around realizing that they're one of only a few black people in the place is exactly what integration looks like.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:30 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
Did you even read the article? First of all, the word uppity doesn't appear once, so your quote is made up. Second of all, it blames the (slightly) lower rate of black migration to Dallas on perception.

I also find it interesting that the article advocates for integration in the city, yet seems to take issue with the fact that black people can't find entirely black niches to socialize in. So which is it? Integration or segregation? I think a black patron walking into a bar, being treated respectfully, and then looking around realizing that they're one of only a few black people in the place is exactly what integration looks like.
There is nothing wrong with people hanging out in an integrated crowd, but if people want to hang out among those who happen to be the same race, there's nothing wrong with that either. I don't see anything wrong with black professionals associating with each other. I don't understand why whites think that is such a problem or don't seem to realize the two philosophies can and do co-exist.

The article also highlighted that blacks in Dallas do not have the political or business clout compared to other cities. Which is true.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:58 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,346,689 times
Quote:

This article proves why Houston is the superior city in Texas for black professionals who have to move to Texas because it's a much more accepting city for people of all backgrounds. From my experience living there in the past, black professionals in Dallas are seen as being "uppity" by the natives and many of the transplants.
They give Atlanta far too much props, but it's a good article, nonetheless.

Houston is definitely ahead of Dallas when it comes to the integration of black professionals, but we do have a lot of work to do ourselves, mostly when it comes to bringing even more of those prof. into the core, as the article had pointed out.

Nice post, OO.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:11 PM

686 posts, read 1,168,369 times
yep, I'm black myself...And it is my experience as well that Blacks in Dallas are "uppity". Excuse my french, but the ones who don't got $hit but always trying to keep up with the "Joneses" Perhaps that's not limited to just blacks in Dallas. The entire city seems "plastic', regardless of race.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:26 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,791,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
yep, I'm black myself...And it is my experience as well that Blacks in Dallas are "uppity". Excuse my french, but the ones who don't got $hit but always trying to keep up with the "Joneses" Perhaps that's not limited to just blacks in Dallas. The entire city seems "plastic', regardless of race.
Then you've never seen the entire city. Go to Oak Cliff, South Dallas, West Dallas, East Dallas, North Dallas, Northwest Dallas, Pleasant Grove or further out into Desoto, Duncanville, Dalworthington Gardens, Arlington, Grand Prairie, south Fort Worth etc. The problem is that Hollywood took what is North Dallas (Preston Hollow, Uptown etc) and stereotyped all of DFW. That is not the real scenario. People visit that part of town and leave thinking it's all one monolithic place as portrayed on TV.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:56 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,790,009 times
Quote:

This article proves why Houston is the superior city in Texas for black professionals who have to move to Texas because it's a much more accepting city for people of all backgrounds. From my experience living there in the past, black professionals in Dallas are seen as being "uppity" by the natives and many of the transplants.
OMG, this article rode Atlanta's nuts. It did give Houston alot of credit for African Americans.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:50 PM

875 posts, read 1,662,224 times
Quote:

Interesting article. I just recently started working for a company here in Houston for about 2 months and it is filled with professional blacks. I was actually very shocked to see that the company has plenty of black professionals and groups of all different races working in the various departments. Just in my department alone we have 6/15 black (including me) and we all get alone quite well. I also had an internship in the Woodlands (of all places) a while ago and I was surprised to see the amount of diversity that most of the companies had there as well.

TSU and PV play a big role in helping Houston's corporate environment and the Greater Houston area in general maintain its professional black presence. Most of the black professionals in Houston that I work with went to one of these school. This is one of the advantages that Houston has over DFW IMO.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:01 PM

998 posts, read 1,326,240 times
Quote:
Dallas has never really embraced its responsibility to educate an increasingly ethnic population.”
Quote:

“So you really haven’t had that opportunity to create an affluent, homegrown, upwardly mobile black middle class.”
I've said this about Dallas in another thread and the Black Dallasites got offended

Most of the Black middle class here in DFW recently moved here from somewhere else; Unlike Houston which has always had a larger Black middle/upper class. This is the reason why Houston is viewed statewide as the cultural capital for Black Texans.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:02 PM

6,697 posts, read 9,954,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
I've said this about Dallas in another thread and the Black Dallasites got offended

Most of the Black middle class here in DFW recently moved here from somewhere else; Unlike Houston which has always had a larger Black middle/upper class. This is the reason why Houston is viewed statewide as the cultural capital for Black Texans.
It is? I've never thought that.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:30 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,961,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Then you've never seen the entire city. Go to Oak Cliff, South Dallas, West Dallas, East Dallas, North Dallas, Northwest Dallas, Pleasant Grove or further out into Desoto, Duncanville, Dalworthington Gardens, Arlington, Grand Prairie, south Fort Worth etc. The problem is that Hollywood took what is North Dallas (Preston Hollow, Uptown etc) and stereotyped all of DFW. That is not the real scenario. People visit that part of town and leave thinking it's all one monolithic place as portrayed on TV.
What is so special about places like Dalworthington Gardens, Duncanville, etc.? Looks like Anywhere, USA. And DWG is pretty plastic with corrupt police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas