Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 09:35 PM

62 posts, read 59,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
Dallas city hall is FUGLY!
LOL! Im sure you prefer a Disney Type "Colonial Gothic Victorian Americana Revival" right?

Old 03-04-2014, 09:54 PM

121 posts, read 145,125 times
Here is an article on the three towers under construction on property of the old Parkland Hospital property. That actually makes three Parkland hospitals when the new one under construction is included. This little office development is about to be built out. However, Crow plans on redeveloping the nearby Dallas Market Center property raising its density from that of suburban to more urban.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:20 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,567,822 times
i didnt see towers anywhere?

this line had me rolling..

"The steelwork for the structure towers almost 10 stories over the northbound lane of the tollway."

towers almost 10 stories.. lmao, its not even a high-rise.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
The increase in the cost of Housing is what put Houston further down this list. If we are talking about shear numbers of jobs available Greater Houston beats the whole of DFW. These boosters always seem to interpret things their own way don't they
Well, I'm looking at the statistics and kind of marveling that the city of Arlington is a better place to find a job right now than Austin. I'm not surprised about Fort Worth. It has been reloading for a while now and has been having a difficult time getting its motor restarted. Recent cuts in the defense budget could slow it down in the future.

All the reports on the Houston market I've read have its economy returning to sustainability while the energy industry keeps speaking of a "shifting of resources." In order to support all the huge amount of development planned, wouldn't the Houston economy need to continue adding huge amounts of jobs?

Old 03-04-2014, 10:36 PM

577 posts, read 512,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrs2009 View Post
LOL! Im sure you prefer a Disney Type "Colonial Gothic Victorian Americana Revival" right?
No, I actually prefer buildings that are more inviting to the public. That Dallas city hall looks like something out of 1980 Soviet Union. If you want to know what I mean by inviting, look at the link I provide for Austin's City hall.

http://www.texaswatchdog.org/files/austincityhall_0.jpg

Old 03-04-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
i didnt see towers anywhere?

this line had me rolling..

"The steelwork for the structure towers almost 10 stories over the northbound lane of the tollway."

towers almost 10 stories.. lmao, its not even a high-rise.
Nevertheless, the three buildings do look massive in their iconic architectural design. Trammel Crow has just about finished building out this little development along Maple. Afterwards, I'm thinking the company is going to try to duplicate it along Central Expressway just north of the CityPlace tower on property they recently bought from Xerox. The skyscraper fanatics over at the Metropolis forum are surely going to be disappointed. I'm guessing the next major skyscraper from Trammel Crow won't be built here, but on the property they recently purchased along Woodall Rogers across from the Dallas Arts District and directly across from the Museum Tower. I believe it has no height limit.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
No, I actually prefer buildings that are more inviting to the public. That Dallas city hall looks like something out of 1980 Soviet Union. If you want to know what I mean by inviting, look at the link I provide for Austin's City hall.

http://www.texaswatchdog.org/files/austincityhall_0.jpg
What about that former HISD "Taj Mahal" complex along Richmond? The problem I have with municipalities owning iconic monuments like these is that they are always immune from having to maintain them. There is no grime as gritty and hard to get off as city corruption.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:35 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,565,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi the baby deer View Post
That should be a bang bang, pop pop, rat-tat-tat-tat boom success.
Well considering how much of success Millennium Park was, I think they'll be fine.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:54 PM

577 posts, read 512,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi the baby deer View Post
Well, I'm looking at the statistics and kind of marveling that the city of Arlington is a better place to find a job right now than Austin. I'm not surprised about Fort Worth. It has been reloading for a while now and has been having a difficult time getting its motor restarted. Recent cuts in the defense budget could slow it down in the future.

All the reports on the Houston market I've read have its economy returning to sustainability while the energy industry keeps speaking of a "shifting of resources." In order to support all the huge amount of development planned, wouldn't the Houston economy need to continue adding huge amounts of jobs?

I read that report you are speaking of. Comparing Arlington to Austin is the same as comparing apples to oranges. If you would look at the methodology of that ranking, much of it is based on things other than jobs. You can never trust those city rankings unless you know how to decipher what they are basing it on.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:17 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,846,154 times
Quote:
I read that report you are speaking of. Comparing Arlington to Austin is the same as comparing apples to oranges. If you would look at the methodology of that ranking, much of it is based on things other than jobs. You can never trust those city rankings unless you know how to decipher what they are basing it on.
Arlington is essentially extended Fort Worth. In addition, there are several manufacturing companies that have been expanding in Arlington, including GM. It really shouldn't be a surprise Arlington is ranked high on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas