Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 03:56 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
I guess one of the upsides to having a bunch of little arbitrary districts is anytime there is any "activity", that district is considered "on fire". Lol
Seriously bruh....

Old 01-20-2015, 04:01 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,562,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Seriously bruh....
Right? 6 proposals make a district on fire.. Lulz. Downtown Houston must be the sun...

Old 01-20-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Right? 6 proposals make a district on fire.. Lulz. Downtown Houston must be the sun...
Heck, yeah! Victory Park is only 75 acres.

Haha....I like the way you compared a CBD to a district.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:25 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:

Well, CBD does stand for Central Business District tho. But that's none of my business.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Well, CBD does stand for Central Business District tho. But that's none of my business.
CBD as in Downtown...

District as in Master Planned Development...

Old 01-20-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:

My bad.. thought a cbd was a district.

Here's a better comparison then.

Westcreek, Houston.. 30 acres

Randall Davis condo tower (100 units)
SkyHouse - 25 stories
Condo high rise - 17 stories
Apartment high rise - 15 stories
Quote:
An office building, a hotel and two additional high-rise apartment building are planned on the remaining Westcreek property, Bland said.
So 8 high rises/towers currently proposed or U/C for a 30 acre development.

Tall buildings to rise near River Oaks District - Houston Chronicle

Old 01-20-2015, 05:01 PM

Lmfao.. How many tens of millions of square feet did Dallas have under construction? Not even 10 mil? I'd be inclined to say the other Houston industries aren't too far behind Dallas' industry totals, if at all, given how much more construction/office space Houston has been building compared to Dallas.

Houston will probably slow down to a boom more like what Dallas is seeing.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:23 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,946 times
Quote:
I don't have the stats right in front of me, but both Houston and DFW have been growing at roughly the same rate in the last few years. In all fairness, Houston's boom is likely slightly less than DFW's is currently. It's still growing at a nice, healthy pace though... and will probably continue to do so throughout the duration of this overly-sensationalized dip in oil prices.

The media is doing what they do best: making a much bigger deal out of this so-called "bust" than it really is. Pure sensationalism. This isn't the same scenario as the 80's. I don't have a crystal ball or powers of clairvoyance, but I'd be willing to wager a fortune on gas returning to just under $4 a gallon by this summer.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I don't have the stats right in front of me, but both Houston and DFW have been growing at roughly the same rate in the last few years. In all fairness, Houston's boom is likely slightly less than DFW's is currently. It's still growing at a nice, healthy pace though... and will probably continue to do so throughout the duration of this overly-sensationalized dip in oil prices.

The media is doing what they do best: making a much bigger deal out of this so-called "bust" than it really is. Pure sensationalism. This isn't the same scenario as the 80's. I don't have a crystal ball or powers of clairvoyance, but I'd be willing to wager a fortune on gas returning to just under $4 a gallon by this summer.
I agree with the latter half. But what in the world are you talking about in the first paragraph..? Are you basing this off of population growth or some other random statistic?

You may want to take a look at this article if you believe what you wrote...

America's new superpower city? Houston blows by New York in key building metric, tops in U.S. by wide margin

Houston has so much more development going on compared to DFW (well practically anywhere in the country) that it's insane. How can you even say DFW is anywhere close to Houston in this cycle, much less "slightly ahead"?

Not trying to pick at you, just trying to understand how you came to that assumption?

Oh, and since that article only covered office construction, here's an article for multi family...

Houston ranked a top city for multifamily construction - Prime Property

Last edited by TexasTallest; 01-20-2015 at 07:56 PM..

Old 01-20-2015, 10:46 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,449,291 times
Quote:
Lmfao.. How many tens of millions of square feet did Dallas have under construction? Not even 10 mil? I'd be inclined to say the other Houston industries aren't too far behind Dallas' industry totals, if at all, given how much more construction/office space Houston has been building compared to Dallas.

...are you comprehending the article?!?!...Or are you shocked at the graph of Houston's economy? To answer your question...No....Dallas did not have as much office construction DOWNTOWN as Houston did(no where near as much) but metro wise it was about equal...Houston recently had a lot of office built in the core and it was a lot...but that's where the graph comes into the situation. Houston seen a tremendous amount of office construction DOWNTOWN Because of the oil and gas industry was on fire. Now with the setback the demand for office construction plummets because oil and gas is 80% of Houston's Economy.
Quote:
For the last few years Houston’s role as the oil and gas center of the nation has been great for the Bayou City. The industry has created thousands of jobs, millions of square feet of construction and brought hundreds of thousands of people to southern Texas.

Now the ride is being thrown in reverse with this year’s plunge in oil prices.
Again......Houston has experienced a lot of office leasing and
Construction....because of oil and gas.
Quote:
Just look at a comparison of the two office markets.

For the last four years, energy company leasing has accounted for about 80 percent of office growth in Houston, according to CBRE..
what a diverse economy!!!

So no....It won't affect Dallas no where near as much as it will Houston.....and that's only if it really happens.

Dallas didn't build a lot of skyscrapers and large blocks office like Houston just did but we have a steady growth pace that's not in danger of haulting because of a blip that we are going through.

Last edited by dallasboi; 01-20-2015 at 10:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas