Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 11:49 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,433,414 times
I actually enjoy Lifertexan's pride, especially in a day and age where it seems that everyone is apologizing for the war, apologizing for movie star behavior, apologizing for the president's slips, apologizing for TO's behavior, apologizing for being Californian, gay, etc. Since when did we all become so worried about what people thing and lose pride for being who we are. So while I disagree with Lifertexan's views of outsiders, it's refreshing to see someone that doesn't make any excuses for who they are.....and again, if you are one of those people that struggles with your own identity, relocting is probably one of the worst things you can possibly consider doing. Trust me on this.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:22 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,629 times
There is pride and there is obnoxious pride--what does apoligizing have to do with it? Can you not express pride and respect for others at the same time? It isn't the pride alone that creates an image of arrogance. It is the dismissal of others. This has been going on in some places for a long time and I would then hardly call it "refreshing". Politeness might be something refreshing, not just in Texas, but in this country as a whole. There is a coarseness--not everyone and all the time and everyplace--but in a public discourse sense.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:35 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,003,685 times
Quote:
There is pride and there is obnoxious pride--what does apoligizing have to do with it? Can you not express pride and respect for others at the same time? It isn't the pride alone that creates an image of arrogance. It is the dismissal of others.
So you lived in Texas one year and found our pride to be too much for you.OK.So are we supposed to care that you don't like our expressions of pride?Texans have never lacked in the area of self esteem,and I much prefer it that way.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:33 PM

I will try one last time. Have all the self-esteem and pride you want. It is the putting down of others that I am talking about. If you don't know the difference, then so be it. And I couldn't care less if you "care about" my opinion. I am answering the question--Why Texas has a bad image. Why don't you start arguing on the merits? Does it have a bad image--yes or no. And why or why not. Have all the pride you want---geez.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Why don't you start arguing on the merits? Does it have a bad image--yes or no. And why or why not.
Since I don't care whether others think it has a bad image or not,I see no need to argue merits or lack thereof.I know what it is like;I live here.What others think about it is of no concern to me whatsoever.They are entitled to their ignorance.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:05 PM

Sorry-my mistake. I thought since you were posting on this thread that you did care. Pardon.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:09 PM

You should tak the time to read all of a thread.I made it clear in my first post that most Texans could care less what other states think about Texas.

I am curious about how you think that Texas media runs down other states.What exactly are you refering to?

Old 02-04-2007, 03:16 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,701 times
Ok, this thread is based SOLELY ON OPINION PEOPLE! Here's the deal, someone asked a question...I'm still not sure what Monte's intentions were for posting the thread to begin with since I have not seen him/her post for quite some time (Starting to wonder if he just likes to sit back and laugh at people getting all defensive or what?). Anyway the point is, this is all opinion!! Everyone on here is expressing their OPINION! This thread is about bad images of TEXAS, not other members. There is NO ONE RIGHT OR WRONG!
Maybe Texas has a bad image because some people just like to argue their point just a little too much and give too much thought to what everyone else thinks. Is there REALLY anything wrong with the fact that Lifer really doesn't give a flip what anyone else thinks??? Guess what? I'm not one to care what anyone thinks either? Life is too short for those games!

Old 02-04-2007, 03:45 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
I dig the Texan pride. Definitely haven't experienced anything like it in any other state. I don't see where Texans put down any other state with their pride. It's not like I see commericals saying, "Go Texans - and thank god we aren't in Arkansas!" It's all centered in and about Texas...

Nor have I seen a commercial or anything media related saying "This is directed only to the REAL Texans, the natives... everyone else turn the channel" (or don't read it, or whatever).

Old 02-04-2007, 04:14 PM

437 posts, read 2,239,180 times
I can't believe it. My computer crashed 5 days ago and I haven't been on but I come back and you guys are still on this thread that someone put on here to start a big war. I sure hope he is happy now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas