Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:59 AM

3 posts, read 19,346 times

Advertisements

I have been offered a position down in Beaumont, TX and have been reading that there is a lot of pollution, overt racism and a high crime rate.

If someone who lives around there could fill me in on how much of this is true as well as temporary living quarters until one can find a suitable place to live, that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm suppose to be down there in about 3 weeks, which means I'd have to give notice to my job on Thursday of this week (it's Monday now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 07:00 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,123,654 times
You have been misled by stereotyping and bashing. Beaumont is like any other place. It has good and bad points, and a wide variety of people. Lets take these one at a time:

Pollution: Grossley overblown. Industry proliferiates in SETX, but is EXCEEDINGLY CLEAN, especially compared to 20-25 years ago. People just can't bring themselves to admit that truth, they would rather whine in ignorance. But don't take my word for it, research it yourself. Industrial emmisions are a tiny, tiny fraction of their former levels, and the area IS IN EPA compliance.

Racisism: A sizeable portion of todays culture has made up their mind that if every single thing in their life doesn't work out to perfection every single day, its RACISIM. They believe RACISM exists in every non-ethnic individual, and is "behind every wall and under every rock..." Don't believe that hype. Some people just carry an eternal chip on their shoulder, and percieve themselves to be eternal victims... Beaumont is like any other city--shure you can find racisim if you try to, but "OVERTLY" is simply non existant.

High crime? Depends on the neighborhood. Sure there are crack and crime infested areas, but if you make any effort at all, you can find a great place to live, that is not a crime haven. Trust your instincts as you look around. You will see different areas with very different people. If it looks safe, it probably is, if it looks dangerous, it probably is...

Temporary living? Hard to say at the moment. With the recent hurricaine Ike, things are in an unsettled state for the moment. I am sure you can research with a realty agent, and come up with something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope I have helped, write back if I can answer further questions. Good luck and welcome to the area.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I thnik it is way over blown by many that have not lived there. As far as the housing situation that is a tought one in that houisng was short even before the hurrican. It most efected surrounding areas that did not have flood protetion tho. Frankly its nothing compared to living in a big city that many araes you just don't go in unless your the right race.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:26 PM

327 posts, read 754,978 times
I'd say you're more likely to experience racism in little towns outside of Beaumont than in the city itself. It exist but I can't imagine it being way worse than most other places.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 19,346 times
I appreciate the feedback and this will definitely give me something to 'chew on' so to speak.
I try not to believe what I read, but not simply Texas but the South has that 'stereotype' I guess.
I just didn't want to get to a place where my wife and I as a mixed couple would have issues, so far in WA, CO, and KS we haven't, of course there are the looks when people see a White Man with a Black Woman but it seems to be becoming more, not out of the ordinary.
Thank you again for your feedback and chances are I'll accept the contract in Beaumont and look forward to doing some Motorcycle riding around the area to get aquainted.

Thank you,
Scott

Old 10-20-2008, 08:47 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,123,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Power View Post
I'd say you're more likely to experience racism in little towns outside of Beaumont than in the city itself. It exist but I can't imagine it being way worse than most other places.

Hmmm... I live in one of them "little towns outside of Beaumont" myself... Why would you say thats "more likely racist" than Beaumont? Just asking...

Old 10-20-2008, 08:52 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
Scott, what do you ride? And where are you coming from. If you're coming from the North and moreso the Northeast be ready fro a different culture altogether. Not bad, just different. If you have specifics please ask.

I work in Beaumont at one of the hospitals but live 50 miles north of town so I can have larger acreage and mucho privacy. There are certain people that come on this board and bash the Beaumont area. They have some legitimate arguments which they blow out of proportion. Do the search on these boards there is plenty of info.

On the racism issue I think it is there with all races. If not racism then prejudices.

Welcome to Texas!

Old 10-20-2008, 08:56 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
Hmmm... I live in one of them "little towns outside of Beaumont" myself... Why would you say thats "more likely racist" than Beaumont? Just asking...

Agree setx ... I live up near Woodville and as I have stated before our county has 12%-13% black population yet we elected a black sheriff, arguably one of the 2 most important county positions along with judge. This from a very rural "redneck" population!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:03 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Expanding on previous comments.

Pollution: Though it's in EPA attainment, TCEQ does come in and fine these refineries. There are massive releases every now & then like any other industrial area. Example: http://www11.tceq.state.tx.us/oce/ee...&target=115318

There is a noticable odor in the area, again like any other industrial area. However it still lingers in bedroom towns like Nederland and Groves, but is a lot less noticable. I suppose if you've been there awhile, you won't notice it.

Racism: From the people I personally know from the area, and what I've seen in public here, I tend to agree the area gets an underserved bad rep. However the census reports, with several small bedroom community towns that are 1% black, while the combined metro area is 25% black, don't help the rep. Many people like to jump on the 'racism' bandwagon when they can't think of anything else. Consider that it might be the area is just a couple decades behind the big TX cities.

Temp living: Can your company help you find something? Have they reserved blocks of cheap hotel rooms? If not, good luck! You better start looking now and within a 30-40 mile radius, or be willing to shell out $150 a night for a hotel. You & everyone else are looking for places here. (And there are more people commuting from Houston and Lake Charles every day than you would imagine.) You can probably find a dump w/o much effort, but when you find a decent apartment, you'll be paying as much as the trendy/overrated places in inner Houston. The landlords here are making a killing. You may want to consider a commute & look in the more rural areas, too.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:28 AM

6 posts, read 22,204 times
Default Beaumont

Hi, I have heard a lot about the pollution here and have not noticed too much in the last 2 years I have been here. It would make sense given the number of refineries, but except for the stinky papermill smell from time to time it isn't like we wear masks.
I am sure there is high crime in some parts of Beaumont but in the West End, not so much. I would try renting an apartment in one of the many places off Major or there is a new development off Old Dowlen.
There is a housing shortage here from the storm. I would line up accommodations before you give notice. You will not be able to get so much as a hotel room. At least that is what I have heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas