Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:44 AM

79 posts, read 394,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMe123 View Post
Live in Houston and get a weekend place in MCAllen...

Many people in San Antonio,McAllen,Laredo are buying condos and small houses in Palm Beach,Fort Lauderdale,Hollywood and Miami as second homes,cause they are land lock and ,the beaches are nicer in Florida,has great malls and the weather is warmer
Really? Where have you heard that? That would surprise me. I know a lot of them own places on The Island (SPI) but it just doesn't make any sense for someone in Laredo or McAllen to have a place in Florida unless they're moving there or do business there. The weather in deep South Texas is very similar to Central Florida's (except it rains less) and the beaches are certainly nice enough at SPI, not enough of a difference to buy a place 1500 miles farther away. Puerto Vallarta or Cancun I could understand, they're actually closer to South Texas and warmer than anywhere in FL in winter (and prettier). Don't get me wrong, I love Florida, but in general it still seems overpriced compared to 5-7 years ago and due for a continued correction; incomes and home prices are still out of whack there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 09:53 AM

39 posts, read 106,920 times
Default Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrstx View Post
Really? Where have you heard that? That would surprise me. I know a lot of them own places on The Island (SPI) but it just doesn't make any sense for someone in Laredo or McAllen to have a place in Florida unless they're moving there or do business there.

True,unless it is job opportunities in Tampa,Orlando,Palm Beack,Fort Lauderdale or Miami.

The weather in deep South Texas is very similar to Central Florida's (except it rains less)

Makes sense cause South Texas is about the same paralell as Orlando

and the beaches are certainly nice enough at SPI, not enough of a difference to buy a place 1500 miles farther away. Puerto Vallarta or Cancun I could understand, they're actually closer to South Texas and warmer than anywhere in FL in winter (and prettier). Don't get me wrong, I love Florida, but in general it still seems overpriced compared to 5-7 years ago and due for a continued correction; incomes and home prices are still out of whack there.

Actually a flight to lets say to Fort Lauderdale,Miami or Palm Beach is a 2 1/2 hour flight from Houston and to Tampa(ST.Petersburg/Clearwater area it is even closer 2 hours,I think much closer than CanCun or Vallarta?

If you do not believe me look it up on contiental or the soon to come servive direct flight on SPirit Airlines from San Antonio to Fort Lauderdale

Old 02-15-2008, 09:30 PM

378 posts, read 1,442,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun-Soo View Post
Obviously San Antonio!!! The Northside! San Antonio gives you the "city" feel without being as crowded as NYC.

Mc Allen and El Paso are Majority Hispanic cities with high crime and poverty everywhere.

Atleast San Antonio is clean.
What!!! that is wrong El Paso is ranked as one of the safest in the nation. Also all three cities have a hispanic majority not just El Paso and Mc Allen.
San Antonio has the most crime but don't all big cities do, anyways most of it is concentrated inside the 410 loop so your best bet is the northside.
Mc Allen is growing and is considered one of the safer cities along the RGV.

Last edited by traveler guy; 02-15-2008 at 09:43 PM..

Old 02-17-2008, 12:39 PM

378 posts, read 1,442,441 times
If I'd had to chose a city I'd pick San Antonio cause it has many more big city things and if you ever get bored here you can go to any other major city or hot spot in Texas in 3hrs. While in El Paso your stranded and McAllen the trips might take a little longer wasting more gas.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
If I'd had to chose a city I'd pick San Antonio cause it has many more big city things and if you ever get bored here you can go to any other major city or hot spot in Texas in 3hrs. While in El Paso your stranded and McAllen the trips might take a little longer wasting more gas.

I agree with traveler guy.

EL Paso is a nice "city"(if you can call it that but far driving from anywhere in texas or anywhere else as a matter of fact.

Like travelguy states San Antonio is 3 hours from McAllen or Laredo ,an hour from Austin,and a couple of hours from Houston.

San Antonio alsdo has much better direct airconnections to many palces and if you realy need to take an internacional flight that is not offered in S.A.,Houston Internacional is not that far..

Old 02-29-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgv17_956 View Post
McAllen is the place for you especially because you want to buy an investment property. McAllen has a huge booming retail and real estate. We have a large busy mall. (2 other malls in the valley and a new 140 store outlet mall to choose from), A new muli-million dollar shopping center "The Palm Crossing", We have 4 new starbucks (12 in the metro area), 1 Hooters (and another in the valley). We are just growing with more big city life accommodations. The land value is real low and we have a high class suburb of McAllen here called "Sharyland" for the wealth part of the valley. It's the perfect place for you or anyone
Never been to McAllen,but I have read about Simmon malls building the Outlet MAll,where a lot of Mexican go shopping

McAllen is also half way between San Antonio and Monterrey/Saltillo area in Mexico.

In a few hours you are in Monterrey which is also growing enormously and is about to surpass Guadalajara as Mexico'c second largest city,it is booming and it is about one of the safest places in the world.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Well, after learning a little about the folks in the El Paso forum, I'd say stick with San Antonio. They seem to be a LOT friendlier there!
I like the Riverwalk area

Old 02-29-2008, 06:24 PM

[ We're also planning on fixing up an investment property on the side. The housing market has cooled somewhat here,

unfortunatly this is everywhere

but we're hopeful the old neighborhoods proximal to downtown are making a comeback. Hope it helps.. [/quote]

But I think buying investment properties fixing them up and putting them back on the market is good in El Paso,Laredo,McAllen or San ANtonio cause these are areas where properties are still relatively cheap and there is still room to make money,plus all areas of SOuth Texas are booming..

Like you state there may be lack of good paying jobs(more companies need to relocate and create jobs),but the weather is much milder than up North especially in the winter..

Old 02-29-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
They all have their advantages.Brownsville,McAllen and the valley in general are growing tremendously.San Antonio has been for a long time.San Antonio and Austin are merging so this region would be a better choice imo.If you want sports,shopping,healthcare,entertainment,culture it would be San Antonio hands down.Of course if these things interest you and or are important.

Speaking of merging..

Is there anywhere to buy a house right between San Antonio and Austin,so one can be in the middle of both?

I think also San Anonio will grow south where someday it will merge with McAllen and Laredo

It will be one megalopolis between Monterey,Mexico to Dallas.Especially if the NAFTA superhighway is built.

So yeah this would be the time to buy

Old 02-29-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMe123 View Post
Speaking of merging..

Is there anywhere to buy a house right between San Antonio and Austin,so one can be in the middle of both?

I think also San Anonio will grow south where someday it will merge with McAllen and Laredo

It will be one megalopolis between Monterey,Mexico to Dallas.Especially if the NAFTA superhighway is built.

So yeah this would be the time to buy

Once complete, the new road will allow containers from the Far East to enter the United States through the Mexican port of Lazaro Cardenas, bypassing the Longshoreman’s Union in the process. The Mexican trucks, without the involvement of the Teamsters Union, will drive on what will be the nation’s most modern highway straight into the heart of America. The Mexican trucks will cross border in FAST lanes, checked only electronically by the new “SENTRI” system. The first customs stop will be a Mexican customs office in Kansas City, their new Smart Port complex, a facility being built for Mexico
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas