Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2008, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,997 times

Advertisements

I went to WTA&MU when it was WTSU waaaaaaay back in the day and now I'm ready to return to the area but to live in Amarillo, not Canyon.

I'm curious to know what sections of town I should be looking at - I'm a single female. I'll be doing the rental thing first so apartment suggestions or even rental housing would be welcome if possible. It's been years since I've been there.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 04:12 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,239,219 times
West and Southwest parts of town are the safest and the most convenient to shopping/dining/medical facilities. Wish I could be more specific, but I've been gone 3 years (and I actually lived 20 miles out of town then).

If you have children you want to make sure your home in in Canyon ISD (the south part of Amarillo, about half of the town, is now in Randall Co and Canyon ISD)......their schools are much superior to the schools in Amarillo ISD and Potter Country (the northern part of Amarillo).

Hope you have a good experience back there....I liked Amarillo and the climate and the people.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:42 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,383,801 times
i dont know anything really about the area, but i want to suggest you look for rentals through Craigs List for Amarillo. it seems that they list alot more variety, especially affordable rentals, since alot of private owners advertise there, versus property management companies. just a suggestion, if you are looking for a reasonable rental house/condo/apt

Old 12-22-2008, 11:44 AM

5,477 posts, read 12,248,239 times
I just came back from a visit in Amarillo about a week ago. I lived there for about 13 years and attended WTAMU, then moved away to Seattle about 3 years ago and I'm trying to get back to either Amarillo, Lubbock, or San Angelo. Are you looking at renting or buying? As someone else said, south and southwest are best. I would stay west of Washington for the most part, although there are some nice areas around Amarillo College. The area has GROWN on the NW side. All sorts of new developments, shopping, a new United, there are now about 4-5 Wal*Mart supercenters in town altogether. Actually, NW part of town would not be bad either.

I've got lots of friends in Amarillo. One lives off of Sunset Terrace in a nice little house. I used to live in the Wolflin area, and others. PM me if I can help.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:45 PM

3 posts, read 9,523 times
move to north heights or san jacinto... ha ha

Old 01-02-2009, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,836 times
I have lived in the River Road area for years. It is a great area. River Road High School is also great. The main difference in this side of town and SW part is the business, there arent any. The price of houses, price of rent houses, etc. Plus the kids over here have to work to buy their own cars, pay for their own college, their own clothes....... Daddy doesnt do it like on the *other* side of town.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:39 AM

163 posts, read 474,928 times
I don't know if you are wanting to live here permanently or not, but just a thought. New apartments are renting near Tradewind airport (34th and Ross/Osage). Apparently, the rent that you pay counts towards a downpayment for Blue Haven home. (The apartments are run/managed/owned by Perry Williams- who owns Blue Haven homes.)

When you are ready to buy a home, a certain percentage (not quite sure how much) counts towards a downpayment for one of his homes. (You pick which community that he currently builds in, what floorplan..etc)

Old 01-05-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenew View Post
I don't know if you are wanting to live here permanently or not, but just a thought. New apartments are renting near Tradewind airport (34th and Ross/Osage). Apparently, the rent that you pay counts towards a downpayment for Blue Haven home. (The apartments are run/managed/owned by Perry Williams- who owns Blue Haven homes.)

When you are ready to buy a home, a certain percentage (not quite sure how much) counts towards a downpayment for one of his homes. (You pick which community that he currently builds in, what floorplan..etc)
The Ross/Osage area has always seemed sort of dumpy to me. I don't know if it changes much down 34th, but I don't think that neighborhood is all that great.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:41 PM

163 posts, read 474,928 times
Hey.. that's where I live.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenew View Post
Hey.. that's where I live.
Ha...sorry. Just calling it like I see it. It used to be that when you got east of Washington, south of I-40, well, it wasn't all that pretty. I don't know if that is the case when you go that far South of I40 near Ross/Osage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas