Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:53 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Everett View Post
Then you have never driven in Mississippi, they make the valley feel like a nice place to drive.

Why is that - are there a bunch of wanna-be Ricky Bobby's racing around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 08:41 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,715,840 times
Being from there (and got out as fast as I could), I do agree that the RGV has probably the worst drivers in the nation...but most of us knew that already.

I occasionally go downtown Brownsville for meetings and the last time I was there I got stuck behind someone that had to do a muffler exchange on their car IN BETWEEN traffic lights. In other words, the driver got out with a small mallet, quickly swooped under his car, hammered the muffler, exchanged a part and then quickly got back in his car and drove...all this in time before the light turned green.

I laughed. You gotta laugh at that stuff once in a while!

Old 02-06-2009, 11:07 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,571,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Being from there (and got out as fast as I could), I do agree that the RGV has probably the worst drivers in the nation...but most of us knew that already.

I occasionally go downtown Brownsville for meetings and the last time I was there I got stuck behind someone that had to do a muffler exchange on their car IN BETWEEN traffic lights. In other words, the driver got out with a small mallet, quickly swooped under his car, hammered the muffler, exchanged a part and then quickly got back in his car and drove...all this in time before the light turned green.

I laughed. You gotta laugh at that stuff once in a while!
I've seen exchanges between cars in between traffic lights, but they didn't ever involve mufflers....

Old 02-06-2009, 11:31 PM

108 posts, read 367,207 times
ive been noticing, The Valley has been experiencing alot of congested traffic. We even have traffic reports on each radio station around rush hour now and on our news stations. I think we're the only metro south of San Antonio with traffic reports...
and for the record I think it's silly since the Valley has only 3 freeways. =p
But the 281 and 83 innerchange between McAllen & Pharr is stop and go traffic jam every week day. McAllen needs more freeways!

Old 02-07-2009, 01:38 AM

898 posts, read 2,563,842 times
Just about every town in the world has a group of people that are bound and determined to convince everyone that their town has the worst drivers in the history of mankind. Every town has terrible drivers so you aren't alone.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:03 PM

5 posts, read 39,927 times
I've drove through quite some places in the country, but I NEVER saw such bad drivers as those in the so called Rio Grande Valley. They cut you off, it seems it's illegal to use turn signals, if you do, they make sure you wont get on the lane you want to, especially if you are trying to get on the expressway.Oh and of course don't dare to walk, drivers won't yield to pedestrians and if you say something or give them a look, they act like you just insulted them. And I thought us latinos were nice. Not in the RGV.
Speed limits.. Unknown, though there's signals, people just drive as fast (or slow) as they want, either on the expressway, school zone, parking lot, (where you wont be able to park because they just leave the shoping carts all over), etc.
Where did they learn to drive?

Old 07-02-2009, 10:32 PM

28 posts, read 119,429 times
Welcome to Mexico and the whole southern area. If you have ever been there no body cares about traffic laws. Its kill or be killed. Peurto rico is the same way. I still cant understand why keeps coming up. They are taking over and theres nothing anyone can do about it. So buckle up its going to be an ugly ride.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:35 PM

O and by the way stereotypies are 80% truth look it upIf

Old 07-02-2009, 10:36 PM

If you get bored look up the 80 20 rule

Old 07-03-2009, 03:56 AM

100 posts, read 446,521 times
Speech: man you hit the nail on the head about the turn signals! idk how many times i was behind someone and they suddenly just hit their breaks and turned, it pisses me off and usually I honk the hell out of my horn and flip them off or something. Or when someone drives 2inches away from your rear end too >_<
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas