Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:45 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
Kibby, those are great pictures. Very beautiful...and I agree with you on the part of "Anyway you cut it .... mid 40's-60's sure beats 8-10 degrees for days on end with ice/snow, high heating bills and hazardous driving conditions.", but the hot humid days are hard to take too. I wish there were a happy middle.
I've traveled over many parts of the US in a lot of the seasons ... I've traveled over almost all of Texas in every season.

I would say that the "happy middle" is San Diego - I've been there in the dead of summer and dead of winter, it always wonderful weatherwise ... BUT, there are other "issues". Horrific traffic (which I'm an Ace at avoiding) and the air quality/tax problem/extremely high living costs. Life is all about decisions.

Sometimes it all comes down to what is the trade off that you are willing to accept for "quality of life". I've never really seen one to beat Texas .... that's not saying it's not out there but this 60 some odd year old has never quite found it outside of Texas.

Good hunting
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 07:49 PM

3,977 posts, read 3,661,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I've traveled over many parts of the US in a lot of the seasons ... I've traveled over almost all of Texas in every season.

I would say that the "happy middle" is San Diego - I've been there in the dead of summer and dead of winter, it always wonderful weatherwise ... BUT, there are other "issues". Horrific traffic (which I'm an Ace at avoiding) and the air quality/tax problem/extremely high living costs. Life is all about decisions.

Sometimes it all comes down to what is the trade off that you are willing to accept for "quality of life". I've never really seen one to beat Texas .... that's not saying it's not out there but this 60 some odd year old has never quite found it outside of Texas.

Good hunting

K
Thanks Kibby. There was a lot of wisdom in what you said. It is a trade off. I guess that is exactly where I am, at the intersection, not sure which direction to go in. I appreciate your insight. I will think on it.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:01 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

Good hunting
K
I'm your age and am from Southern California. I would never go back, but there are many times I wish I had never moved. The only place I can think of that I've visited (I'm sure there are other places) is southwest VA around the Roanoke area. I was there in the summer and it is delightful. They don't get much snow, so that's a plus. That is the place that beats Texas weather all the way, in my opinion. It's beautiful to boot.

I can look around me where I live and see much beauty, but beauty of a different sort. I would be sad to leave after spending 30 years in Texas. I love where I live, my house, most of my surroundings although this little rural town is not as rural as it was 30 years ago when I came to Texas. I still have a desire to find better summer weather and not months of frigid weather either. Right now and after reading so much about other areas on the internet, southwest VA fits the bill........only time will tell. My concern is the east is really getting way to populated because people are discovering the wonderment of some of these mountainous areas.

A central Texas February sunrise from my backyard ....... beautiful. I love Winter in Texas.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/VAUGHANMARIE/IMG_0045.jpg (broken link)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/VAUGHANMARIE/IMG_0049.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 03-01-2009 at 08:17 PM..

Old 03-01-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I'm your age and am from Southern California. I would never go back, but there are many times I wish I had never moved. The only place I can think of that I've visited (I'm sure there are other places) is southwest VA around the Roanoke area. I was there in the summer and it is delightful. They don't get much snow, so that's a plus. That is the place that beats Texas weather all the way, in my opinion. It's beautiful to boot.

I can look around me where I live and see much beauty, but beauty of a different sort. I would be sad to leave after spending 30 years in Texas. I love where I live, my house, most of my surroundings although this little rural town is not as rural as it was 30 years ago when I came to Texas. I still have a desire to find better summer weather and not months of frigid weather either. Right now and after reading so much about other areas on the internet, southwest VA fits the bill........only time will tell. My concern is the east is really getting way to populated because people are discovering the wonderment of some of these mountainous areas.

Hi Canine! I can't afford either Ca or Va. You know the cost of living in Va? Been there, and checked it out already.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:06 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times
Quote:

I can't believe any of this hate filled spew towards my beloved Texas

Old 03-01-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post

Naw, I dont hate your beloved Texas. I just hate this tiny spot I'm in!

Old 03-01-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
Hi Canine! I can't afford either Ca or Va. You know the cost of living in Va? Been there, and checked it out already.
Actually, southwestern VA around Galax isn't that bad. It's a tad south of Roanoke.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:19 PM

Canine, those photos are absolutely beautiful. I know they will please our D-Towner!

Old 03-01-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Don't take it all to heart and so personally. Texas is just a place and no one means any harm in pointing out what's good and what's not so good. You didn't make the weather or undesirable things and there are just some of us who don't like some of this proper noun, but we'll survive if we have to, one way or another.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:28 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times
Quote:
Don't take it all to heart and so personally. Texas is just a place and no one means any harm in pointing out what's good and what's not so good. You didn't make the weather or undesirable things and there are just some of us who don't like some of this proper noun, but we'll survive if we have to, one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas