Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 04:18 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times

Advertisements

Last time I was there was April and it was hot- then I realised that the air con on the car had packed up!

At that time of the year, with flowers in bloom, the desert smelt like a perfumerie- it was lovely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 07:20 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
You're right about the summer there. The last time I was there, it was May and already 103 degrees. And down near the Rio Grande, it's humid too.

I envy you! I'd love to make it to Ft Davis again. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind being in Alamogordo either, so I could take the ride up to Cloudcroft and check out Timberon. Oops, wrong forum.
I'll never forget the year a bunch of us from Midland went to Big Bend for a rafting trip down Colorado Canyon (now part of some state park whose name escapes me at the moment) Memorial Day Weekend. We had planned on Mariscal, but heavy rains had washed the roads out, so we moved, but still the same general area.

Some of them made fun of me for wearing long jeans, a long-sleeved shirt and a baseball cap/sunglasses. We left around 9am, and got back to camp about an hour before sundown. Those who made fun of me had spent the entire day in the water/raft with nothing but swimsuits on.

Well...I was one of the very few who were not moaning and groaning that night....some burned so badly that they had raised blisters. They just had no idea how hot it can get and how easy it is to get painfully sunburned!

LOL!! As far as Timberon goes, it IS a neat place, but I am really leery of the water system problems up there, and don't want to deal with it at all. I'm no longer looking for a small summer property there.

I'm now looking north/northwest.

We'll be staying in Ft. Davis--and Big Bend will be a day trip and back! I haven't been there in over 10 years, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:37 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Wow, you'd think people would have more sense than to let themselves get scorched like that. There's nothing like a full-body sunburn.

Yes, I noted a (your?) post about the 'sky-high' cost of utilities in Timberon. I don't think I want to deal with that. It would be better to live close enough to visit. Alamo sounds better all the time.

Where are you going to stay in Ft Davis? I stayed at the Stone Village Motel last time I was there, but I think they've remodeled it and jacked the prices way up since then. It's across the street from the Davis Mtns Nut Company.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Wow, you'd think people would have more sense than to let themselves get scorched like that. There's nothing like a full-body sunburn.

Yes, I noted a (your?) post about the 'sky-high' cost of utilities in Timberon. I don't think I want to deal with that. It would be better to live close enough to visit. Alamo sounds better all the time.

Where are you going to stay in Ft Davis? I stayed at the Stone Village Motel last time I was there, but I think they've remodeled it and jacked the prices way up since then. It's across the street from the Davis Mtns Nut Company.
I think it was SongintheWind who was talking about the high utilities...as well as the DSL internet service that is expensive and slow. That just adds to it. It's not for me, though I do like to visit.

I tried to warn them about getting burned, and suggested that they at least wear a t-shirt and hat over their swimsuits..nope, they were "tough" and didn't need such sissified stuff....LOL!! I could barely refrain from gloating, though I did flash them a few knowing grins from time to time, while I sat in comfort...LOL!!

Keep in mind that Alamo is HOT. That is the one thing I just hate about it, and this winter has not helped a bit on that score. It IS dry....but it is also hot. It is now 78 (high to be around 81) with 12% humidity. This is ridiculous in Feb/March!!!

On the other hand, there are compensating factors, such as being able to get home easily....and meeting them in Ft Davis for this trip!

We will be at Indian Lodge, at Davis Mountains State Park. It's hard to get reservations, and they book up fast!

Old 03-04-2009, 02:25 PM

593 posts, read 1,378,357 times
You might check out Big Bend Ranch State Park. I stayed there several years ago and it was very nice. It's located west of Terlingua.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Homeboy View Post
You might check out Big Bend Ranch State Park. I stayed there several years ago and it was very nice. It's located west of Terlingua.
Now that I think of it, that must be where we were. But it wasn't a state park in the 1970s. If I'm not mistaken, this is the same area:

http://www.desertusa.com/bigtx/bigtex_desc.html

The property changed owners three more times after the 1950s, until the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department purchased the Big Bend Ranch from Robert 0. Anderson and Walter Mischer in 1988.

So as far as state parks go, it's really recent. Thanks!!

Old 03-04-2009, 05:33 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Thumbs up Nike -- Just Do It!

You just go. That's it. You just go. Who needs a beach for Spring Break? You've got 254 counties in Texas to go explore. And you should go to Big Bend and take me with you. Make sure, however, that your car is properly serviced, that you have good tires, and that there is plenty of gasoline in the tank.

Then you can take a camera and enjoy!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:00 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
cathy4017: Indian Lodge is great, IMO. You're right, word has gotten around, and it's difficult to get a room there any more. But it's in such a great area, with the park and all.

It got up to 87 degrees in Ft Worth in February. I don't think Alamogordo would shock me too much. And I know the summer nights are cooler there. I don't mind it being hot in the daytime, but when it's 80 degrees at 4 am, I don't dig it at all.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
cathy4017: Indian Lodge is great, IMO. You're right, word has gotten around, and it's difficult to get a room there any more. But it's in such a great area, with the park and all.

It got up to 87 degrees in Ft Worth in February. I don't think Alamogordo would shock me too much. And I know the summer nights are cooler there. I don't mind it being hot in the daytime, but when it's 80 degrees at 4 am, I don't dig it at all.
I hear that! Even Midland doesn't cool off as much at night as it once did.

Alamo's high for Feb was one day at 80, and a few days of mid to high 70s.

That is one thing that hasn't failed to happen here yet....nights cooling off when the sun goes down. I do enjoy that!

Old 03-05-2009, 11:53 AM

45 posts, read 139,675 times
Just returned from a perfect trip to Big Bend last week! Started in Abilene, through MO, and stayed in Alpine. We did our day trips from there to include the Big Bend/Terlingua, Ft Davis areas. Absolutely beautiful, beyond words...and the people were wonderful everywhere! We did about 1200 miles around trip, didn't seem like it because of the scenery. Still, I don't think it's a trip for the kids. It'a a contemplative trip, watching the landscape, wishing I was back in Texas permanently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas