Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 02:35 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,030,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
* Residents over age 25 without a high school diploma
Ok, so the message is if you come to Texas with a high school diploma, you'll already be ahead of 21% of the population when it comes to getting a job.

Ahead as in how? I think most jobs look at experience. Atleast most of the jobs in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 04:29 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,281,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
True, we have our fair share of illegals, but don't kid yourself, we also have our fair share of low-class, sorry no good white trash. These people in my opinion are a class WAY below the illegals. At least the illegals are trying to better themselves and their families. These sorry a-holes have it all at their fingertips for the taking, yet they choose to sit on their sorry tails and whine and expect handouts.

They have no insurance and they don't worry if they broadside your automobile. They just leave the scene and little good does it do you to have their license tag or DL#. 99% of the time they have numerous warrants out for them, cops don't want to pick them up, the jails are full and they know fining them is a big joke. They don't have a pot to p*ss in. So, honest cops just tell you flat out it's a bad deal, the cops that don't want to admit it will just keep sandbagging you along till you finally quit wasting your time on it.

They are too lazy to finish school, too lazy to work. They'll breed like rabbits. Yes, we like to blame the illegals with everything and I am as bad as anyone in doing so. But to be truthful, we have our own homegrown version of costly troubles.
I totally agree with you; they are a pathetic bunch.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
If we didn't have so many illegals, then our rankings would go WAY up in many of those categories.
How many illegals do we have? I'm wondering if it's enough to help those stats because what LoneStar2007 said makes much sense to me. I see it every day.

I know very few illegals but the ones I know have been hard-working people and the Hispanic people I know can work circles around many of the Whites.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:03 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,015,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
How many illegals do we have? I'm wondering if it's enough to help those stats because what LoneStar2007 said makes much sense to me. I see it every day.

I know very few illegals but the ones I know have been hard-working people and the Hispanic people I know can work circles around many of the Whites.
I lived on the Border with a high illegal population. The high school graduation rates at most of the high schools in Brownsville were 50 percent or worse. And, sorry, but there are VERY few white and black students in those schools. So, no, we can't lay this at the feet of white people. The statistics show a much different story, no matter how politically correct some people want to sound.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:34 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,505,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post

The estimates I've seen range from 1.4 million to 1.6 million here in Texas, right behind California, but nobody really knows. I don't know if those numbers include their children born here in the U.S. and who are therefore citizens.
I agree that as a group Hispanic people are very hard-working. I also understand why they come here...why not? We (general we) hire them and they're coming from very desparate situations. I don't blame them for coming here. At the same time I don't think we can afford it much longer, really never could. Cheap labor has a high price for tax payers- schools, hospitals, teen pregnancy...this is costing us all a fortune.
Just my opinion!

Old 03-13-2009, 09:35 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,581,384 times
I'm trying to figure out the motive behind this thread. Is it an honest attempt at bringing up problems that need to be known and addressed, or just a Texas basher venting?

Old 03-13-2009, 09:41 PM

2,965 posts, read 3,534,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
statesman.com | We're No. 50! Where Texas ranks last: | Focal Point

Texas ranks dead last (worst) in:
  • Residents over age 25 without a high school diploma
  • Average credit score
  • Voter participation
  • Uninsured residents
  • Cancer-causing compounds released into the air
  • Toxic chemicals released into the water
  • Toxic chemicals released underground

Some good news: Texas is no longer No. 50 in teen birth rates, having moved to 48th.
Do you think that the influx of illegal aliens in the State might have something to do with Number One?

Old 03-13-2009, 10:09 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I'm trying to figure out the motive behind this thread. Is it an honest attempt at bringing up problems that need to be known and addressed, or just a Texas basher venting?
Bashing Texas is the new American sport. Everyone wants a piece of the action.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:47 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,013,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I think it is meant as a draw for debate, as die-hard Texas fans will defend their state, while trolls will happily bash it. Controversial topics generally tend to do that.

Ian

Old 03-14-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
I think it is meant as a draw for debate, as die-hard Texas fans will defend their state, while trolls will happily bash it. Controversial topics generally tend to do that.

Ian
I wouldn't consider posters who don't agree with much said about Texas as trolls. If it is a fact, then maybe people would like to know. I'm always doing research about this, that, and the other states, but I hadn't see this yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas