Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 08:55 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
No way. San Antonio doesn't have a Theater District and world class museums. It doesn't have NFL or an MLB team. It doesn't have the dining scene Houston does. The list goes on and on.

Houston claims to have the second largest downtown theatre district which is based based on number of theatre seats for live performances, Houston claims it is second outside New York City , however, when you tally up all San Antonio's downtown theatre venues, Vaudeville theatres(5) etc, San Antonio has more, I checked into it. San Antonio also has two downtown Arts Districts, Southtown and La Vilita. San Antonio does not toot it's horn like Houston does.

Houston does have MLB and NFl, I agree with you on that, but San Antonio has other sports teams, great dining scene, great shopping, more amusement parks.
San Antonio has world class musuems as well. Mc nay the first theatre of modern Art in texas, San Antonio Musuem of Art( largest Asian Collection in the Southern USA, and the first Smithsonian outside D.C., one of five in the nation. There is really no reason to go to Houston if you live in San Antonio, maybe just for a getaway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 02:08 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Houston claims to have the second largest downtown theatre district which is based based on number of theatre seats for live performances, Houston claims it is second outside New York City , however, when you tally up all San Antonio's downtown theatre venues, Vaudeville theatres(5) etc, San Antonio has more, I checked into it. San Antonio also has two downtown Arts Districts, Southtown and La Vilita. San Antonio does not toot it's horn like Houston does.

Houston does have MLB and NFl, I agree with you on that, but San Antonio has other sports teams, great dining scene, great shopping, more amusement parks.
San Antonio has world class musuems as well. Mc nay the first theatre of modern Art in texas, San Antonio Musuem of Art( largest Asian Collection in the Southern USA, and the first Smithsonian outside D.C., one of five in the nation. There is really no reason to go to Houston if you live in San Antonio, maybe just for a getaway.
Everyone likes to talk about how big their theatre district is, but I think many people prefer quality over quantity.

I give San Antonio the touristy edge, but outside of that I don't see how San Antonio tops Houston for much else. Houston's rival (if anyone) is Dallas, but you know that--that's a whole different tier.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing.

Post #600!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:29 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
[quote=theSUBlime;8457931]Everyone likes to talk about how big their theatre district is, but I think many people prefer quality over quantity.

I give San Antonio the touristy edge, but outside of that I don't see how San Antonio tops Houston for much else. Houston's rival (if anyone) is Dallas, but you know that--that's a whole different tier.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing.

Post #600![/quote

So you are saying the quality of cultural venues is better in Houston? Not when comparing San Antonio's vaudeville theatres palaces, when the 5 were built downtown, San Antonio was the largest city in Texas. Until I think the 1930's.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:41 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
San Antonio is an older, family-oriented city. If you're looking for nightlife and an alternative to Houston, I think you'd be happier in Austin.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:48 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,000 times
Quote:
So you are saying the quality of cultural venues is better in Houston? Not when comparing San Antonio's vaudeville theatres palaces, when the 5 were built downtown, San Antonio was the largest city in Texas. Until I think the 1930's.
Ummm in terms of the arts Houston > San Antonio.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:58 PM

11 posts, read 25,529 times
Default try Chicago

Try Chicago. I am moving to Dallas this summer from Chicago, and I can honestly say that Chicago is the most segregated city in the country. Blacks stay in their neighborhoods, and whites stay in theirs. The hispanic community is pretty large however they keep to themselves. There is little italy, chinatown, and the beverly irish community. It seems that everyone in Chicago sticks to their own. Some call it racist, but it can't be when all races seem to follow the same order. Most seem to get along, though you have to watch out. Lots of gang bangers. And I'm talking REAL gang banging thugs. And you talk about traffic in Dallas? I took me over an hour to get home yesterday at 3:30pm and I was only going 7 miles down the same road. Thats the norm.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:56 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,022 times
Quote:

That's because an organized theater district all in one spot is considered more desirable (case in point - Broadway in NY).

Not saying SA doesn't have great museums, dining or shopping... just that Houston's are superior (when you ask the experts or read statistics, who has won awards, etc.)

Old 04-23-2009, 12:29 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Who's going to have the bigger airport? Not San Antonio!!! They're only adding 2 new terminals to their already existing 2. Houston has a total of 5 (A-E).

I'd have to see a source to believe that.
What? I never said anything about SA's airport being bigger. I said Houston is going to have a bigger airport because of it's much bigger size.

I also simply stated SA is expanding and improving their airport.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:31 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,486 times
A bit of friendly advice, it's useless to argue with SweethomeSanAntonio. The guys intentions come from a good place but he won't let up even if he's dead wrong.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:42 AM

556 posts, read 1,563,015 times
Quote:
Your previous posts describe that you lived near Plano, in Frisco, and are also living in Houston attending a community college and trying to gain state residency. Your story doesn't wash, friend.
Quoting myself here......just to say I think you all are expending useless energy for this OP. Something about this post didn't ring true to me, and that was validated by checking his previous posts. Maybe he just gets around a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas