Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 07:25 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times

Advertisements

oh good grief. I'm an atheist moderate and I haven't had a bit of trouble in East Texas.I drink right in front of the Baptists and run the tractor during church hours. But then, I do eat the BBQ. It's all about if you can't eat the pork, then bring the chicken.And it's not like vegans and vegetarians don't live in East Texas. They HAVE heard of that before.

Sometimes its all about how you present yourself to others,more than what your "ideals" are, that will determine how you are treated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 07:46 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
oh good grief. I'm an atheist moderate and I haven't had a bit of trouble in East Texas.I drink right in front of the Baptists and run the tractor during church hours. But then, I do eat the BBQ. It's all about if you can't eat the pork, then bring the chicken.And it's not like vegans and vegetarians don't live in East Texas. They HAVE heard of that before.

Sometimes its all about how you present yourself to others,more than what your "ideals" are, that will determine how you are treated.
Excellent post! Especially the highlighted part, which is so very true.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:48 AM

39 posts, read 93,962 times
Yes cause i'm sure my young children are presenting themselves as horrible flamboyant heathens who deserve the treatment they get! Your right, I see the error of my ways!

That's funny, rather than consider maybe not everyone has a pleasant experience its easier to attack me. I am polite, respectful and VERY non-confrontational in the real world (maybe thats why I'm very confrontational here? the ability to project ones surpressed personality in an annonyomous environment. Never thought anyone would do a such thing on the internet!) , all the situations I've refered to have been when people have called ME out (like in front of all the parents at a board football meeting for not attending church functions, when I said and did NOTHING, other than not attend said functions, and I didnt even make a statement on not attending, just didn't go said we had other plans). But whatever, I guess my just being alive is an insult and far too flamboyant for the area (which again proves my point!)

But thank you guys for showing everyone what rednecks are like in this area, having an opinon and experiences that differ from your own is obviously insulting to you and you feel the need to repeatedly attack me, way to prove my point.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:15 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I know Tyler can be cliquish (since we're talking East Texas Rednecks), just ask my dad, he's experienced some of it. But you know what he did instead of call people names and whine? He confronted them, explained his side of the story to straighten out the facts and found a new crowd to run with. Why do you keep trying to hang out with the same people if they are so bad? Put your son in a new school, don't go to those same functions anymore. There's more than one clique to run around with.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:26 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdygirly View Post
...And I am here because this is my husbands home town and not out of my own personal preference I assure you, he told me we can move in a year or so and I am counting the days hehe! Just a simple, no I do not attend church or no I'm not a republican in idle chat will earn you hours of ridicule and judgement being in a town this small, my 'closed-mindedness' as a few of you claim I have come after several years of being mistreated, badgered, and insulted by these people that are the 'salt of the earth' or whatever. ...
First of all, the Golden Triangle / SE Texas (outside of Houston) and East Texas are two different regions as far as I'm concerned.

Now if you are in the Golden Triangle for your husband's work, I'd expect to be here for at least 2-3 more years. This is one of the few places trucking along with work available, and it may start ramping up soon. It is also widely spoken of as one of the most unattractive places in the USA, so as long as they keep dangling that carrot in front of him, you'll most likely be stuck. You have to make the best of whatever your situation is or it will literally eat you alive.

Now as far as getting along with people around here, I will tell you it helps to lighten up and not take yourself so seriously. There is a lot of ridiculing, badgering, whatever you want to call it around here. But I seriously doubt it's out of spite, or cast with evil intentions. You know, "when in Rome..." And the "when in Rome" could be said in any ''enlightened'' area of a big city where nearly everyone is sterile and loudly speaks (ironically) about sustainability & other zany politics at restaraunts.

As far as gossip goes around here, I can see where some people would be driven off by it. It's really just best let it roll off your back. It's also not done with bad intentions. There's just not a whole lot more to do here, you know.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:38 PM

lol my husband works out of town 99% of the time on account of not finding any jobs here He is in Montana right now and goes to California next so the work isnt the issue the selling the house is (not the best time to be selling and all).

For the person who told me to switch schools, there is zoning here, no choice in where you send to school.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
lol my husband works out of town 99% of the time on account of not finding any jobs here He is in Montana right now and goes to California next so the work isnt the issue the selling the house is (not the best time to be selling and all).

For the person who told me to switch schools, there is zoning here, no choice in where you send to school.
well I hope you can soon sell your house and get out of Texas. Your attitude is hurtin you as well as your kids. I have lived many places in my life, Texas as well as here in AR and 6 other states, never have I been put down for not attending a church fuction. You say you are polite and non confrontation, I find it almost impossible to believe your side of the story; you simply said you have other plans and you were put down??? Oh come on. You might see it that way, but I bet if we heard the other side of the story we would hear a totally different version. We all see things the way we choose which is expected, but normally there are 2 sides to every story.

You classify everyone who doesn't agree with you as rednecks, I, for one am so far from a redneck it isn't funny and others fall far from being rednecks. This doesn't mean we can't accept and appreciate the views of rednecks. As I have said before, I would rather be among a dozen rednecks than 2 elitests.

Nita

Old 08-15-2009, 10:02 AM

(from dictionary.com) –noun 1.an uneducated white farm laborer, esp. from the South.2.a bigot or reactionary, esp. from the rural working class.

No, I don't classify everyone who doesnt agree with me as rednecks, many people don't agree with me, I think this world would be a boring place if everyone was the same, I value difference of opinon and skin color and sexual orientation and ethnicity! Which is my down fall out here. According to the above definition I am not to far off, since the majority of people in my area have only high school education and many not even that. Granted there aren't a lot of farms here, but I am using the second definition more as my basis.

I classify the people out here as rednecks because they treat people appalingly for being different. My neices and nephews (whom are half black) get called the N word often, and this is during football games, by coaches and parents. They have been driven from two schools (had to move and everything) due to being unsafe and threatened. My own children have dealt with similar treatment for 'not attending church.' I've seen KKK bakesales down the road, and I have watched my sons football team switch leagues SPECIFICALLY so we wouldn't have to play against a team with majority black players (they said so very loudly and clearly).You claim it's me over and over, but I have family and friends who receive the same treatment for similar reasons, with no provocation. So how am I confusing what I have experienced and seen with the defintion? Please tell me some more how it is all my fault (or better yet how is it my neice and nephews fault for their skin color?).

Old 08-15-2009, 11:11 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
(from dictionary.com) –noun 1.an uneducated white farm laborer, esp. from the South.2.a bigot or reactionary, esp. from the rural working class.
Not sure what is wrong with being an uneduated farm laborer from the South. Many of us native Texans with college educations and professional jobs today are only a generation or two removed from those lacking formal education and had to work their rear ends off to provide to simply provide a living for the family. They may have lacked said education themselves, but they worked hard (and fought WW II as both military and Rosie the Riveter) so that their children and grandchildren could have the opportunity.

Bigot or reactionary? To many of the elititists, anyone who disagrees with their own ideology and world vision is one by default.

BTW -- if there were ever a truly catastrophic event in the country (such as nuclear war or a total breakdown of our system), then I would bet the cotton-crop that many of those who look down their noses at "rednecks" would be as helpless as fish out of water. They wouldn't know the first thing about surviving. They'd be the very first to beg those who can skin a buck and run a trot-line (to paraphrase Hank Williams, Jr.) to take them in.

Quote:
No, I don't classify everyone who doesnt agree with me as rednecks, many people don't agree with me, I think this world would be a boring place if everyone was the same, I value difference of opinon and skin color and sexual orientation and ethnicity! Which is my down fall out here. According to the above definition I am not to far off, since the majority of people in my area have only high school education and many not even that. Granted there aren't a lot of farms here, but I am using the second definition more as my basis.
And I stand by that it is probably your attitude that causes you difficulties. I am equally convinced you will never see it. In reading over your posts, you seem to have both a superiority and persecution complex. (SUPPER complex, perhaps?). You are truly a saint, by the way, for your radiant love of all mankind while continuing to exist among the heathens who are lesser than thou.

[QUOTE I classify the people out here as rednecks because they treat people appalingly for being different. My neices and nephews (whom are half black) get called the N word often, and this is during football games, by coaches and parents. They have been driven from two schools (had to move and everything) due to being unsafe and threatened. My own children have dealt with similar treatment for 'not attending church.' I've seen KKK bakesales down the road, and I have watched my sons football team switch leagues SPECIFICALLY so we wouldn't have to play against a team with majority black players (they said so very loudly and clearly). [/quote]

You don't lead a boring life, I must say. To review: You have been shunned and reviled. You've witnessed axes thrown at someone over a BBQ issue. Seen teachers run out of schools for refusing to teach the Earth is only 6000 years old. Coaches on opposing teams using the "N" word, and the league switching so as to not have to play against mostly black teams. And lets not forget KKK rallies.

Did I leave anything out?

Sorry, but I take all this with both a grain of salt along with that you can't see yourself as being at least a goodly part of the problem. Your posts ooze drama and self-righteousness and it's all about me...and you never really provide any specific details as to time and location of these horrific events.

If all the things you say really happen regularly, then Rev. Al and Jackson would be down here and it would have long since become national news. Many of the things you say just don't ring true...

Quote:
You claim it's me over and over, but I have family and friends who receive the same treatment for similar reasons, with no provocation. So how am I confusing what I have experienced and seen with the defintion? Please tell me some more how it is all my fault (or better yet how is it my neice and nephews fault for their skin color?).
To be honest, I think you just like being the center of attention here. I can't speak for others, but I am just getting bored with it. It is the same old broken record with you.

Tell you what? Why don't YOU explain to your neices and nephews and kids why you are still in a place you obviously loath and despise and treats y'all so shabbily? You are the one putting them thru this Purgatory (by self-definition), not us. I don't mean to sound callous, bu it is not our job to correct your mistakes. As it is, I wish you good-luck and god-speed from Texas!

Old 08-15-2009, 11:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Not sure what is wrong with being an uneduated farm laborer from the South. Many of us native Texans with college educations and professional jobs today are only a generation or two removed from those lacking formal education and had to work their rear ends off to provide to simply provide a living for the family. They may have lacked said education themselves, but they worked hard (and fought WW II as both military and Rosie the Riveter) so that their children and grandchildren could have the opportunity.

Bigot or reactionary? To many of the elititists, anyone who disagrees with their own ideology and world vision is one by default.

BTW -- if there were ever a truly catastrophic event in the country (such as nuclear war or a total breakdown of our system), then I would bet the cotton-crop that many of those who look down their noses at "rednecks" would be as helpless as fish out of water. They wouldn't know the first thing about surviving. They'd be the very first to beg those who can skin a buck and run a trot-line (to paraphrase Hank Williams, Jr.) to take them in.

And I stand by that it is probably your attitude that causes you difficulties. I am equally convinced you will never see it. In reading over your posts, you seem to have both a superiority and persecution complex. (SUPPER complex, perhaps?). You are truly a saint, by the way, for your radiant love of all mankind while continuing to exist among the heathens who are lesser than thou.

[QUOTE I classify the people out here as rednecks because they treat people appalingly for being different. My neices and nephews (whom are half black) get called the N word often, and this is during football games, by coaches and parents. They have been driven from two schools (had to move and everything) due to being unsafe and threatened. My own children have dealt with similar treatment for 'not attending church.' I've seen KKK bakesales down the road, and I have watched my sons football team switch leagues SPECIFICALLY so we wouldn't have to play against a team with majority black players (they said so very loudly and clearly).
You don't lead a boring life, I must say. To review: You have been shunned and reviled. You've witnessed axes thrown at someone over a BBQ issue. Seen teachers run out of schools for refusing to teach the Earth is only 6000 years old. Coaches on opposing teams using the "N" word, and the league switching so as to not have to play against mostly black teams. And lets not forget KKK rallies.

Did I leave anything out?

Sorry, but I take all this with both a grain of salt along with that you can't see yourself as being at least a goodly part of the problem. Your posts ooze drama and self-righteousness and it's all about me...and you never really provide any specific details as to time and location of these horrific events.

If all the things you say really happen regularly, then Rev. Al and Jackson would be down here and it would have long since become national news. Many of the things you say just don't ring true...

To be honest, I think you just like being the center of attention here. I can't speak for others, but I am just getting bored with it. It is the same old broken record with you.

Tell you what? Why don't YOU explain to your neices and nephews and kids why you are still in a place you obviously loath and despise and treats y'all so shabbily? You are the one putting them thru this Purgatory (by self-definition), not us. I don't mean to sound callous, bu it is not our job to correct your mistakes. As it is, I wish you good-luck and god-speed from Texas! [/quote]

great post, I agree, nothing wrong with lack of education and yes, many from family farms have worked very hard to get an education, but of course you have to understand, she can't seem to get that through her head. Elitests have problems that are deeper ingrained than rednecks. At least that is my opinion. Like, you, I think I have about had it, she is enjoying defending herself even though she is getting nowhere fast.

I can assure you if I was an miserable as she cliams to be and I actually witnessed someone throwing an axe at a Jew I would be out of there ASAP. I would give my house away if I had to. If for no other reason I would care about my children and what this horrible experience was doing to them.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas