Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:06 AM

436 posts, read 1,613,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
Yes I am serious....according to mapquest my commute would only be 46 minutes....check it out....could i get there faster than that?

MapQuest: Driving Directions: North America

no. unless you drive 100 mph with no traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 02:06 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
One of these would make it faster. ICON Aircraft: Sport Flying Revolution

Old 08-05-2009, 02:43 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,015,912 times
I drive from SW Austin to downtown SA in 1:05 - 1:10 every day. I never go over 75 MPH. I leave at 6:00am.

From where I enter I-35 @ FM 1626, it's 45-50 minutes to 1604.

The Google Maps time is probably pretty accurate actually...assuming you do leave Austin early. I rarely have to drive below 65 the entire way. The only real slow down is actually in Schertz at Exit 174.

The biggest issue is going to be what do I do when my truck dies. I'll be putting 50K miles on it each year and am at 90K right now. It's paid off so no big deal. It's a Toyota and it'll go easily another 150K but I have no idea what to buy when it does die with that kind of mileage.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:03 AM

59 posts, read 181,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
I drive from SW Austin to downtown SA in 1:05 - 1:10 every day. I never go over 75 MPH. I leave at 6:00am.

From where I enter I-35 @ FM 1626, it's 45-50 minutes to 1604.

The Google Maps time is probably pretty accurate actually...assuming you do leave Austin early. I rarely have to drive below 65 the entire way. The only real slow down is actually in Schertz at Exit 174.

The biggest issue is going to be what do I do when my truck dies. I'll be putting 50K miles on it each year and am at 90K right now. It's paid off so no big deal. It's a Toyota and it'll go easily another 150K but I have no idea what to buy when it does die with that kind of mileage.
My job that I woudl be be commuting to is in Schertz right off I35..literally...do you know how long the drive time is from South Austin to Schertz?

Old 08-13-2009, 05:49 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,650,964 times
1604 is going to roughly be Schertz give or take a few exits so go by what Achtungpv said

Old 08-13-2009, 04:43 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Quote:
My job that I woudl be be commuting to is in Schertz right off I35..literally...do you know how long the drive time is from South Austin to Schertz?
My friend, I-35's traffic volumes are actually heavier between Austin and San Antonio than they are anywhere from Austin to Waco and Waco to Dallas. You'll be lucky if you don't run into any slowdowns, even though the New Braunfels construction chaos is finally overwith. I'm not sure if San Marcos' construction is finished yet. With no traffic at all, you can get there in one hour. But again, don't say I (we??) didn't warn you about traffic volumes in that single corridor.

And, no, there isn't any getting around it. Any alternative you choose would just be out of the way.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:28 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
A family member commutes from the 1604/10 area to San Marcos every Monday thru Friday. The 1604/35 traffic does get bad and it does back up, but the bulk of his commute comes from the 1604 traffic.

And I've sat through the traffic in the Kyle/Buda area in rush hour before. It's going to be a pain (pack your patience and set up some good playlists on your ipod), but if you have to live in south Austin and commute to Schertz then an hour an hour and a half with bad traffic should be about right.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:53 AM

556 posts, read 2,087,174 times
Quote:
I am thinking about taking a job in San Antonio but would like to live in Austin. What would the commute time be from South Austin the the VERY northeast tip of San Antonio right off 135 where my job would be?
The time of day that you will be making this commute will have a BIG impact on the drivetime. I live near the Forum at I-35 and 1604 - my sister lives in South Austin - and it takes an hour and 15 minutes to drive between our homes with NO traffic issues. I've made the same drive on a Friday afternoon at rush hour, because of a family crisis - and it took closer to 2 hours, with MANY places on I-35 where traffic was almost stopped.

Throw in weather concerns, an accident, highway construction and text messaging - and you may not know from one day to the next "exactly" what your drive time will be. Personally - I'd rather have a root canal than consider the prospect of driving that stretch of highway twice a day at normal rush hour times as part of my commute to/from work........good luck to you! I hope you have an understanding boss - because you can almost count on being late to work occasionally for reasons you can't control on that stretch of highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas