Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 10:55 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
In the 1880 census of 100 largest cities the only two that appeared were Galveston 22,248 and San Antonio 20,550. Houston and Dallas didn't appear. I know in the past that Jefferson and Galveston vied with San Antonio in the 1800's.
OK so in 1880 Galveston was the largest city in TX. I don't remember if I heard that Galveston was the largest city in TX or not but I remember hearing that in the late 1800s Galveston was larger than Houston. Galveston used to be the big port of entry in TX for foreigners coming to America but later on they wanted a bigger port and one more inland so they moved the port to Houston. Once the port was moved from Galveston to Houston that's when Houston passed up Galveston. The port seemed to bring in a lot of business so the location of the port is important.

Ellis Island in NYC has always been the busiest port in America for foreigners coming in so it makes sense that NYC has been the largest city for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 04:47 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
I find it strange how Dallas is barely attracting blacks; I know Texas has like the 2nd fastest-growing black population after Georgia. (I maybe wrong).
Texas is 3rd behind New York and Florida (barely).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
OK so in 1880 Galveston was the largest city in TX. I don't remember if I heard that Galveston was the largest city in TX or not but I remember hearing that in the late 1800s Galveston was larger than Houston. Galveston used to be the big port of entry in TX for foreigners coming to America but later on they wanted a bigger port and one more inland so they moved the port to Houston. Once the port was moved from Galveston to Houston that's when Houston passed up Galveston. The port seemed to bring in a lot of business so the location of the port is important.

Ellis Island in NYC has always been the busiest port in America for foreigners coming in so it makes sense that NYC has been the largest city for a long time.
Somebody from Houston told me that the 1900 Hurricane plus Houston's oil business and ports help doomed Galveston because it was well on it's way to being a major city. It was called the Wall Street capital of the Southwest, I believe. I think Galveston could have easily been the Miami/Miami Beach of Texas but they decided to move everything 50 miles to the NW.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:17 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
But what would Houston have been had they not done that? Would it be dual cities like Washington DC and Baltimore?

Old 12-07-2009, 09:21 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
But what would Houston have been had they not done that? Would it be dual cities like Washington DC and Baltimore?
Most likely yes unless all the oil businessman would not have minded their offices in the city. When I say Galveston could have been the Miami/Miami Beach of Texas. That means that they could have moved the city to the mainland and link it to the island and call it Galveston Beach. Similar to Miami and Miami Beach since Miami Beach is an island somewhat.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:24 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times
If the beaches weren't so brown and we got some good size waves on the Texas coast, I think it could rival places like Miami Beach as far as tourism. It's a cool little town.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Texas is 3rd behind New York and Florida (barely).

Somebody from Houston told me that the 1900 Hurricane plus Houston's oil business and ports help doomed Galveston because it was well on it's way to being a major city. It was called the Wall Street capital of the Southwest, I believe. I think Galveston could have easily been the Miami/Miami Beach of Texas but they decided to move everything 50 miles to the NW.
You heard right. The reason the port moved from Galveston to Houston is Houston had the land to build a bigger port. Since the area was growing they needed a bigger port.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
If the beaches weren't so brown and we got some good size waves on the Texas coast, I think it could rival places like Miami Beach as far as tourism. It's a cool little town.
Yeah I like Galveston too. I like the cool looking mansions on Broadway. I've taken tours of a couple of the mansions. They're pretty cool. Galveston is the Texas version of Newport, RI. I've seen quite a few of the mansions in Newport. Very cool!

Old 05-23-2010, 05:01 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
Astonishing evolution
I'm surprised : blacks flee Dallas ?

Houston must have the same evolution I think, except for black population who seems to like this city.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:09 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
According to this, the DFW metroplex will gain about 600,000 people between 2007 and 2012. Of the 600,000:

About 520,000 are projected to be Latino
About 39,000 are projected to be "other race" (the majority of these probably Asian)
About 38,500 are projected to be non-hispanic white
Only about 3,000 are projected to be black - on a related note, the city of Dallas is losing black population by the truck load.

http://www.dallas-ecodev.org/images/dallas_data/oed_fact/OED_Demographics.pdf (broken link)

From the looks of it, DFW is going though what LA went through post Rodney King. African-Americans fled LA like bats out of hell and Latino's flooded the city.

The obvious question, is how will this change DFW culturally?
The link posted above is no longer active.

According to the Brookings Institute, DFW's black population was the second fastest growing in the U.S. between 2000-2008. As of 2008, DFW had a total black population of 874,216, the 10th largest in the nation.

I find it hard to believe the projected black population growth from 2007-2012 for the entire DFW Metroplex is only 3,000. No way that is accurate because the in-migration has far exceeded the out for decades. I would think the birth rate alone would exceed that projection. Please let me know if I misread the statement.

It's not really alarming that Dallas City is losing blacks. As mentioned in a previous post, they're just moving to the suburbs. Black flight is also happening in Atlanta, Chicago, Miami and NYC.

More blacks going for suburbs, fast-growing locations - USATODAY.com

DFW population gains by racial breakdown from 2000-2008: (national ranking)

Hispanic - 596,917 (2nd)
White - 214,150 (3rd)
Black - 159, 494 (2nd)
Asian - 96,405 (7th)

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Files/Programs/Metro/state_of_metro_america/metro_america_report.pdf

Old 05-23-2010, 12:09 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
The link posted above is no longer active.

According to the Brookings Institute, DFW's black population was the second fastest growing in the U.S. between 2000-2008. As of 2008, DFW had a total black population of 874,216, the 10th largest in the nation.

I find it hard to believe the projected black population growth from 2007-2012 for the entire DFW Metroplex is only 3,000. No way that is accurate because the in-migration has far exceeded the out for decades. I would think the birth rate alone would exceed that projection. Please let me know if I misread the statement.

It's not really alarming that Dallas City is losing blacks. As mentioned in a previous post, they're just moving to the suburbs. Black flight is also happening in Atlanta, Chicago, Miami and NYC.

More blacks going for suburbs, fast-growing locations - USATODAY.com

DFW population gains by racial breakdown from 2000-2008: (national ranking)

Hispanic - 596,917 (2nd)
White - 214,150 (3rd)
Black - 159, 494 (2nd)
Asian - 96,405 (7th)

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Files/Programs/Metro/state_of_metro_america/metro_america_report.pdf
Thanks for the details, that seemed strange ^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas