Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 08:57 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about this today as I came across this today and it got me thinking about what the major Metro areas will look like in Texas in the near future.

According to this, the DFW metroplex will gain about 600,000 people between 2007 and 2012. Of the 600,000:

About 520,000 are projected to be Latino
About 39,000 are projected to be "other race" (the majority of these probably Asian)
About 38,500 are projected to be non-hispanic white
Only about 3,000 are projected to be black - on a related note, the city of Dallas is losing black population by the truck load.

http://www.dallas-ecodev.org/images/dallas_data/oed_fact/OED_Demographics.pdf (broken link)

From the looks of it, DFW is going though what LA went through post Rodney King. African-Americans fled LA like bats out of hell and Latino's flooded the city.

The obvious question, is how will this change DFW culturally?

It would be intersting to see similar data for Austin, Houston, and San Antonio and compare if all the places are going through the exact same thing.

Just as a note, Id like it if we could keep any kind of anti-illegal rhetoric or anti-Latino rhetoric out of this thread.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 10-21-2009 at 09:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 03:59 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
... on a related note, the city of Dallas is losing black population by the truck load.
That's strange. Why? Are they just moving to the suburbs?

Anyway, I don't have the data on the other cities, but would be interesting to see it.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:43 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
I'm guessing most of the Dallas blacks are moving to the Southern Dallas suburbs.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:11 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
That's strange. Why? Are they just moving to the suburbs?

Anyway, I don't have the data on the other cities, but would be interesting to see it.
Even if we look at the DFW projecteds, the African American community is not really growing at all. 3,500 in 5 years in a metro area that is set to gain 600,000 is nothing. Based on the data, I hypothisize that the blacks in the city of Dallas are moving to the suburbs and there are virtually no new blacks coming to the area.

This is probably the first time in DFW history where its Asian and Pacific Islander growth is projected to be higher than its African-American or White growth.

I would be very curious to see what Houston is doing. I would be very surprised if Houston is mirroring DFW exactly. If I had to guess, I would say the African-American and Hispanic growth are probably more balanced.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:16 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Those forecasts of future growth should always be taken with a very large grain of salt. It's just guesswork and nothing more. However, it's not guesswork when it comes to the racial or ethnic make up of not just Dallas, but all of the United States.

The demographics are overwhelming. White and black people have virtually quit replacing themselves as the birth rate just barely exceeds the death rate. That's a common afflicition in any wealthy country and we are no different. Poorer people tend to have more children and, today, that's the Hispanic community. Additionally, there's a flood of immigrants, both legal and illegal, and they're not coming from white, Protestant Europe any more. They're coming from Latin America, the south sea islands and Asia, especially south and southwest Asia.

What that means for the future of the USA is that our population will soon be heavily brown and Catholic/Muslim/other. For a peek into the future, take a look at what's called the Millenial Generation, those born between roughly 1984 and 2004. They are predominantly brown, non-Protestant and have at least one foreign born parent.

Will that be the end of America, as some like to call it? No, it won't. The Constitution still empowers the majority and, though that majority is changing, it will only mean that America will be different, not destroyed. Some don't want to accept that and may actively oppose the march of history and demographics and THAT may very will end the American dream. White, Protestants of European decent may very well kill America trying to save it.

The key question for our future is whether or not they, who have been the final deciding authority for over 200 years, will peacefully relinquish power to the new majority.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:03 PM

226 posts, read 893,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Those forecasts of future growth should always be taken with a very large grain of salt. It's just guesswork and nothing more. However, it's not guesswork when it comes to the racial or ethnic make up of not just Dallas, but all of the United States.

The demographics are overwhelming. White and black people have virtually quit replacing themselves as the birth rate just barely exceeds the death rate. That's a common afflicition in any wealthy country and we are no different. Poorer people tend to have more children and, today, that's the Hispanic community. Additionally, there's a flood of immigrants, both legal and illegal, and they're not coming from white, Protestant Europe any more. They're coming from Latin America, the south sea islands and Asia, especially south and southwest Asia.

What that means for the future of the USA is that our population will soon be heavily brown and Catholic/Muslim/other. For a peek into the future, take a look at what's called the Millenial Generation, those born between roughly 1984 and 2004. They are predominantly brown, non-Protestant and have at least one foreign born parent.

Will that be the end of America, as some like to call it? No, it won't. The Constitution still empowers the majority and, though that majority is changing, it will only mean that America will be different, not destroyed. Some don't want to accept that and may actively oppose the march of history and demographics and THAT may very will end the American dream. White, Protestants of European decent may very well kill America trying to save it.

The key question for our future is whether or not they, who have been the final deciding authority for over 200 years, will peacefully relinquish power to the new majority.
I don't understand why white and black birth rates barely exceeding their death rates is an affliction
Poor people are of every race not just Hispanics and there are wealthy Hispanics here also. I want to know where you get your info from.

You wrote that "some" people don't want the demographics changing and will actively oppose this so you must mean "white" people right? You confused me furthermore by your last sentence:

"The key question for our future is whether or not they, who have been the final deciding authority for over 200 years, will peacefully relinquish power to the new majority."

Who is "They" you must mean the present majority right? So you don't mean that "they" are just "some" people "some" people are really the majority?

Correct me if I'm wrong, you think that white people are going to destroy this country because they don't want to be overran by a majority of poor Hispanic and Asian people therefore having less representation in government.

What race are you?

I'll tell you what the real problem is and it's our welfare state that takes care of poor people so they can have more children no matter what race it is and it's our irresponsible government that doesn't protect our borders but will spend hundreds of billions of dollars overseas to fight in unnecessary never ending conflicts. Inflation kills us so we can't afford to take low paying manual labor jobs so the Latin Americans mainly flood Houston, LA, etc. because it's better than the hole they came out of and there is work so they get to be the scapegoats. My point is all our problems are caused by the government and guess who votes the idiots into office. The present majority.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:19 AM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirelez View Post
I don't understand why white and black birth rates barely exceeding their death rates is an affliction
Poor people are of every race not just Hispanics and there are wealthy Hispanics here also. I want to know where you get your info from.

You wrote that "some" people don't want the demographics changing and will actively oppose this so you must mean "white" people right? You confused me furthermore by your last sentence:

"The key question for our future is whether or not they, who have been the final deciding authority for over 200 years, will peacefully relinquish power to the new majority."

Who is "They" you must mean the present majority right? So you don't mean that "they" are just "some" people "some" people are really the majority?

Correct me if I'm wrong, you think that white people are going to destroy this country because they don't want to be overran by a majority of poor Hispanic and Asian people therefore having less representation in government.

What race are you?

I'll tell you what the real problem is and it's our welfare state that takes care of poor people so they can have more children no matter what race it is and it's our irresponsible government that doesn't protect our borders but will spend hundreds of billions of dollars overseas to fight in unnecessary never ending conflicts. Inflation kills us so we can't afford to take low paying manual labor jobs so the Latin Americans mainly flood Houston, LA, etc. because it's better than the hole they came out of and there is work so they get to be the scapegoats. My point is all our problems are caused by the government and guess who votes the idiots into office. The present majority.
So basically you're saying that the white people are screwing themselves?

I don't think the white people are going to kill off the Hispanic people because they're increasing in numbers. I think the people here are more civilized than that. Also if the Hispanics become the majority and the white people don't like it they can always go back to Europe or Australia or wherever.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post

I don't think the white people are going to kill off the Hispanic people because they're increasing in numbers. I think the people here are more civilized than that. Also if the Hispanics become the majority and the white people don't like it they can always go back to Europe or Australia or wherever.
If white people are the majority of voters in this nation and the government that the majority elects is causing all the problems then yes, if you keep electing people that have lied and not followed the constitution you are just shooting yourself in the foot. I don't think that Hispanics are going to be killed off or any other demo for that matter nobody is saying that, but how would whites that were born in the USA have a place to go back to in Aussie or Europe?

Old 10-24-2009, 11:43 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirelez View Post
If white people are the majority of voters in this nation and the government that the majority elects is causing all the problems then yes, if you keep electing people that have lied and not followed the constitution you are just shooting yourself in the foot. I don't think that Hispanics are going to be killed off or any other demo for that matter nobody is saying that, but how would whites that were born in the USA have a place to go back to in Aussie or Europe?
The white people or anybody else in America would have to immigrate to Europe or wherever just like their ancestors immigrated to America.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:

If they are born here they wouldn't be going back anywhere

Quote:
The white people or anybody else in America would have to immigrate to Europe or wherever just like their ancestors immigrated to America.
Okay that's better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas