Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 12:30 AM

213 posts, read 388,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
Touché. Whether I am at home, at work, at my parent's place, or at my sister's and her husband's, I always want to know I am no more than 20 minutes away from hand-sliced Italian prosciutto, fingerling potatoes, organic pears, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and hand-rolled premium sushi, as well as the best selection of wine and beer in the area. I can get that at any of the five Central Market locations in Dallas-Fort Worth.

Dallas Lovers (flagship)
Dallas Preston Royal
Fort Worth (my hometown)
Plano
Southlake

I thought The Woodlands was supposed to be upscale. Don't they have any foodies up there?
Houston metro has over 25 HEB stores, with 10 of these being HEB Markets with high end items and cheeses like CM and a CM on the go section.
The Houston flagship CM is in River Oaks naturally. Houston also has a great local luxury market grocery chain called Rice Epicurean Market which has been here for decades. There were 5 stores in the chichi areas of Bellaire, Memorial, River Oaks, Tanglewood and Uptown. The Tanglewood store is still open while the other 4 have been renovated and transformed to The Fresh Market, which is NC's answer to Central Market. The Fresh Market choose Houston as their entry market into Texas with more stores being planned in Clear Lake and other areas.

The Fresh Market - Houston
The Fresh Market

The Woodlands is a great foodie town with their own food and wine festival, a high end HEB Market with CM items, Trader Joes, Goodwoods British Market, Oil & Vinegar, and the local fav high end market with bistro Hubbell & Hudson.

Hubbell & Hudson

Old 09-11-2013, 09:41 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,789,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
What he said is actually pretty accurate. In the loop Houston and even slightly outside packs more punch in terms of skyscrapers and buildings than the entire DFW region.
Again, I am a numbers guy, a realist. I want to see numbers and links. If you can provide the number of skyscrapers in the Houston Metro vs the DFW Metro and post the link it would count a million times more than just blurting statements out without any substance.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:11 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostOak5115 View Post
Houston metro has over 25 HEB stores, with 10 of these being HEB Markets with high end items and cheeses like CM and a CM on the go section.
The Houston flagship CM is in River Oaks naturally. Houston also has a great local luxury market grocery chain called Rice Epicurean Market which has been here for decades. There were 5 stores in the chichi areas of Bellaire, Memorial, River Oaks, Tanglewood and Uptown. The Tanglewood store is still open while the other 4 have been renovated and transformed to The Fresh Market, which is NC's answer to Central Market. The Fresh Market choose Houston as their entry market into Texas with more stores being planned in Clear Lake and other areas.

The Fresh Market - Houston
The Fresh Market

The Woodlands is a great foodie town with their own food and wine festival, a high end HEB Market with CM items, Trader Joes, Goodwoods British Market, Oil & Vinegar, and the local fav high end market with bistro Hubbell & Hudson.

Hubbell & Hudson
I heard that Rice wasn't doing very well and the one on Fountain View and San Felipe was supposed to close. I remember the parking lot being rather empty many times.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:42 AM

328 posts, read 471,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
1. Luxury shopping is had outside of the loop at the middle-middle upper class Memorial City Mall as well as The Galleria.

2. Skyscraper stretch from Galveston Island to The Woodlands, Katy to Clear Lake, & everything in between. In fact, Houston is the only major city where one can have a 300-900' skyscraper literally sprouting up out of their backyards like a beanstalk in the sky.

3. Fort Bend County (Sugar Land) is the most diverse county in all of Texas. Harris County (Alief) is next. Hell the whole area of SW Houston as a whole is EXTREMELY diverse. Going to The Galleria is like stepping into the United Nations.

4. You for some strange reason keep saying The Galleria is inside of the Loop. That right there tells me you know nothing about Houston. Its in fact outside of the loop.

Notice I stressed The in every one of my sentences. Its because Dallas' Galleria is a cheap knock off of Houston's with an abandoned Ford (or was is Chevy) dealership in the front.
I know your Galleria is 1,000 feet outside the loop. I've been there before. It's close enough to the loop to be associated with the Everything-worth-anything-is-ITL mentality that is Houston.

A few years ago I was in Houston visiting a buddy, who told me the last time he visited that he was thinking of going in an entirely different, laid-back direction: San Antonio. So it was Christmastime. I love Christmas. I really wanted to see the decorations at the Galleria. As hard as I tried to convince him to go with me, he would not be swayed. "I'm not getting stuck in all that traffic." So I had to go by myself and yes, the traffic was horrendous, but it was worth it. Though some Houstonians have a different take.
Galleria showing its age

#16 All the Galleria needs is a nice facelift remodel - like the one that the Dallas Galleria (which is newer than ours in the base case) got recently.

That thread is three years old, so the management has probably had time to slap some paint on it. Did they ever perform a facelift on the old girl?

When I read stuff like the Dallas Galleria is a "cheap knock off" I know that this can only be written by someone intent on propagandizing. It's the famed Houston inferiority complex rearing its ugly head, the Rodney Dangerfield of the Texas Triangle.

Our Galleria is glittering and upscale--it has to be in order to compete with NorthPark. NorthPark has continually upgraded over the years, spending tens of millions of dollars in the process--and we're not talking facelift here. NP is also aggressively courting high-end retailers, many exclusive to Texas. With these two showcase, regional malls so near to each other, the competition is fierce (not to mention the rivalry with Highland Park Village). Our Galleria is also home to the tallest indoor Christmas tree in the USA. It's a must-see every Christmas season.
http://d4493f2df0d1b95cfc62-773cd17a...s_original.jpg

Lastly, MM, you know full well that the northeast corner of the Dallas North Tollway and LBJ intersection is one of the prime pieces of real estate in the state of Texas.
https://www.google.com/maps/preview#...!2m1!1e3&fid=7

This is what is envisioned for the property, a $3.5B development.
Dallas Midtown
Dallas Midtown | Media Kit

This is not a pipe dream. Per this 8/22/13 article, groundbreaking is near.
Beck Ventures exec details $3.5B Dallas Midtown project (Video) - Dallas Business Journal

Going to the Galleria in Houston is like stepping in Mexico City.

Last edited by casimpso; 09-11-2013 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 09-11-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I heard that Rice wasn't doing very well and the one on Fountain View and San Felipe was supposed to close. I remember the parking lot being rather empty many times.
Well with all the new Trader Joes, Whole Foods, HEBs, Sprouts, and Fresh Market, I'm sure they are hurting, but they really catered to Houston's old guard with home delivery and curbside pickup, and will continue to do so.

Of course the most famous Houston market was Jamail's Family Market which opened in 1905 and has been visited by most presidents of the latter 20th century. Jamail's still does home and office deliveries. They were gourmet grocery before it was popular.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:07 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,130 times
Quote:
I know your Galleria is 1,000 feet outside the loop. I've been there before. It's close enough to the loop to be associated with the Everything-worth-anything-is-ITL mentality that is Houston.

A few years ago I was in Houston visiting a buddy, who told me the last time he visited that he was thinking of going in an entirely different, laid-back direction: San Antonio. So it was Christmastime. I love Christmas. I really wanted to see the decorations at the Galleria. As hard as I tried to convince him to go with me, he would not be swayed. "I'm not getting stuck in all that traffic." So I had to go by myself and yes, the traffic was horrendous, but it was worth it. Though some Houstonians have a different take.
Galleria showing its age

#16 All the Galleria needs is a nice facelift remodel - like the one that the Dallas Galleria (which is newer than ours in the base case) got recently.

That thread is three years old, so the management has probably had time to slap some paint on it. Did they ever perform a facelift on the old girl?

When I read stuff like the Dallas Galleria is a "cheap knock off" I know that this can only be written by someone intent on propagandizing. It's the famed Houston inferiority complex rearing its ugly head, the Rodney Dangerfield of the Texas Triangle.

Our Galleria is glittering and upscale--it has to be in order to compete with NorthPark. NorthPark has continually upgraded over the years, spending tens of millions of dollars in the process--and we're not talking facelift here. NP is also aggressively courting high-end retailers, many exclusive to Texas. With these two showcase, regional malls so near to each other, the competition is fierce (not to mention the rivalry with Highland Park Village). Our Galleria is also home to the tallest indoor Christmas tree in the USA. It's a must-see every Christmas season.

Lastly, MM, you know full well that the northeast corner of the Dallas North Tollway and LBJ intersection is one of the prime pieces of real estate in the state of Texas.

Dallas Midtown

Beck Ventures exec details $3.5B Dallas Midtown project (Video) - Dallas Business Journal

Once again a reality that exsit only in the minds of people from Dallas in almost evry poll I have found..people pick Houston galleria over dallas

Old 09-11-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:

Galleria showing its age

Dallas Midtown

I always enjoy going to Northpark Center ever since I was young and it has taken the top shopping crown from the Dallas Galleria.

I also always enjoy going to the Houston Galleria, as it always has a good vibe to it and all the many luxury stores are grouped nicely together. It's the biggest in Texas and will be staying that way.

Due to increased competition from River Oaks District and BLVD. Place it is about undergo a massive revamp and expansion.

Galleria project aims to up glam factor - Houston Chronicle

Galleria project aims to up glam factor

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 2048$sx1257$s. Simon Property Group
Rendering of the space currently occupied by Saks Fifth Avenue that will house about 35 new stores and maybe restaurants

By David Kaplan
9:59 AM
An ambitious plan to bring more high-end retail to the Houston Galleria will start with moving Saks Fifth Avenue into fancier digs and getting rid of one of the mall's two Macy's department stores.
When demolition and reconstruction of what is now the Galleria III is complete, scheduled for fall 2015, an expanded Saks flagship will open in the space now occupied by the Macy's facing Sage and other shops.

Mall developer Simon Property Group plans to renovate the existing Saks space nearby to accommodate about 35 new stores and maybe some restaurants.
The plans unveiled to the Houston Chronicle on Wednesday also call for a free-standing "luxury jewel box" to be built for select tenants who want a high-profile presence facing Westheimer.
Simon said it might even add a 300-unit high-rise that would provide well-heeled residents direct access to Galleria shops. The renovations are driven by retailer demand, "especially among luxury tenants," said David Contis, president of Simon Malls.
"The Galleria is among the pinnacle of properties in our portfolio and generates sales of $1.25 billion, which is tremendous productivity," he said.
The most visible change includes tearing down the existing Galleria III and moving Saks to a space with 198,000 square feet on two levels, Contis said, up from its existing 180,000 square feet on three levels.
Starting from scratch in a brand-new space will allow Saks to create a "state-of-the-art" store, he said.
Macy's supports plan

The changes also will allow Macy's to consolidate into its Galleria store that faces West Alabama and Hidalgo. Macy's has had to operate two stores in the Galleria since its parent company's 2005 acquisition of the Foley's chain, which had a lease there already.
Macy's supports Simon's redevelopment plans, spokeswoman Melissa Goff wrote in an email. She said combining its own store locations "will make for a more convenient one-stop Macy's destination."
"We expect to accommodate the vast majority of our existing associates in the consolidation and foresee very little disruption in our business," she wrote.
Simon also will construct a standalone building in the surface parking lot in front of the Galleria along Westheimer, about midway between Neiman Marcus and the future Saks, Contis said.
Contis described the planned one-story building as a "luxury jewel box" for two or three high-end tenants that will be able to "create their own branding image along Westheimer."
Simon has not yet announced any new tenants.
High-rise planned
The Galleria covers 2.2 million square feet and includes about 400 stores and restaurants, two hotels and three office towers.
It may soon get a residential component.
Contis said a 300-unit residential high-rise - with an outdoor pool and an indoor connection to the Galleria - is envisioned for the corner of West Alabama and Sage.
He said Simon is still in the planning process, studying infrastructure and construction issues, "but we think it can get done."
'Epicenter of retail'
News of the upcoming changes did not surprise Ed Wulfe, chairman and CEO of Wulfe & Co., retail development and brokerage firm.
He said the Galleria "continues to reinvent itself with new and different tenants" while remaining a top destination for visitors from out of town.
"The Galleria is the epicenter of retail in all of Houston," Wulfe said. "It's always been the top producer (locally) of sales per square foot."
Contis noted other upgrades to the Galleria property already under way. They include installing LED lighting in the parking garages and new directional signs.
Renovations and relocations
- Galleria III, a wing that includes the Macy's store facing Sage, will be torn down to make way for a Saks Fifth Avenue flagship.
- The current Saks space will be renovated to hold about 35 new stores and maybe restaurants.
- Macy's will consolidate into its department store that faces West Alabama and Hidalgo.
- A building for a few high-end tenants will be built in the surface parking lot along Westheimer.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Who cares about high end grocery stores when its just that, an over priced grocery store.

I could shop at Fiesta, which is a Houston chain BTW & be perfectly happy. You won't see a supermarket in Texas as diverse as the Fiesta off of Bellaire in SW Houston. I used to shop there all the time when I lived in Chinatown off Beechnut.
I was recently schooled by a Kroger produce manager at my regular store. I wanted to compliment him on some gorgeous cabbage I'd just bought. I told him a story of having recently bought cabbage at Wal-Mart, and that it took almost five minutes before I found something I could live with: an undersized head that had the least brown on it. At the Kroger, the stalk end was pure white, the leaves were unblemished, and it was larger than the inferior stuff at W-M. I refuse to buy produce there anymore, it is so bad. I've seen tiny flies hovering around the bins at W-M too many times to count. I also asked him how stores that cater to Latins could sell produce so inexpensively.

He mentioned that he had been working grocery store produce for 30 years; he was Hispanic. He told me that there are inspections which determine the quality of produce, which I already knew. Stuff that higher-end stores refuse is sold to mid-range grocers. Stuff that those mid-range grocers refuse is sold to W-M and many of those large supermarkets that cater to Latin Americans.

The bottom line is that you get what you pay for. What good is a cheap potato if, when I get ready to cook, has a rotten spot on the inside? What good is a cheap avocado that's brown when I cut it open?

Obviously I don't shop at Central Market for everyday purchases. A nice, choice (NO select for me) ribeye is good enough for me on a special occasion. I don't need a prime cut for $20+/pound. But I will tell you a way in which CM and Whole Foods are cheaper, and that's for bulk spices that you don't use very often. If I need some dried ginger, it's going to be $3.50-$4.00 for a large jar in a regular store. All I need is a pinch. The rest will sit on the shelf until it goes bad. When buying spices at CM, I purchase only what is needed. Most of the time even the most expensively priced spice will be 10 or 15 cents for my purchase. Sometimes such a small amount won't even weigh enough to register on the scale. I've had to put a pen cap down to bring it up to 10 cents. I can buy a single bay leaf if that's all I need. I also buy bulk flour and sugar there, since there is so much turnover. It's cheaper than buying a 5-pound bag at Kroger.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:57 PM

122 posts, read 222,372 times
Can we please get back to skyline discussion? "Oh yeah, well we have more central market's" seems to be trying to over compensate for lacking in the topic of the thread.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshoota View Post
Can we please get back to skyline discussion? "Oh yeah, well we have more central market's" seems to be trying to over compensate for lacking in the topic of the thread.
xsatyr said it best two days ago:
I don't give the edge to either city architecturally because they both look average and mundane. Dallas takes the cake at night when it puts on makeup.

That this thread has gone on as long as it has is ridiculous. Considering what other cities around the world--and the USA--are building, with mind-blowing supertalls, one reaching over 2,700 feet tall, it must appear idiotic to them to see that we are arguing about some "tall" buildings built in the early 80s. Yes, Houston has more tall buildings. But if and until Houston or Dallas build multiple buildings at least 1,500 feet tall or higher, it's two cities bragging about mediocrity.

No one living in a city with 1,500-2,000 ft. high buildings cares how many 400-500 ft. buildings Houston and Dallas have. They don't care about taking a tape measure and adding up all the feet in all the buildings in a metro area so to come up with some made-up skyline metric. They don't care who has the third-tallest skyline in America. "We're #3!" Who does that?!?!

They don't care how either city can set up a tripod at just the right spot so as to "connect" a bunch of skylines that are nowhere near each other.

We're sitting around here arguing, "My Buick is better than your Ford," while the rest of the cutting-edge cities--architecturally--are driving BMWs, Mercedes and Audis.

It's time for us to put up or shut up. And something 1,006 feet tall is not going to cut it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas