Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 8,698 times

Advertisements

Well, imagine my surprise! I thought only 4 people knew about Mercedes! I have some good friends who live there (and have for several generations) and I have visited there a couple of times. The place is hot and dry, but they live in a beautiful home with great gardens and trees (also been there for generations). I guess Mercedes is like anywhere else; there is good and bad and a lot depends on your socio-economic level, ethnicity, expectations, age, etc. It's a small town, and we are "city" people and it's "the valley" so there are special circumstances associated with it.

Lou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 11:44 AM
RGV

570 posts, read 3,221,942 times
Quote:
and it's "the valley" so there are special circumstances associated with it.

What does that mean; that it's like a special needs child?

The more I read post like this on this forum, the more disgusted I get.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:13 AM

130 posts, read 873,490 times
RGV, I think you are over-thinknig the intentions of that post. Otherwise I am under-thinking it. I didn't detect any malicious meaning from the post.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,608 times
It's hot many months of the year, and beautiful -- I love how there are lush flowers blooming at Christmas. We moved here from a large city, and the crime rate here is the safest of anyplace we've lived. Great for family walks. New outlet mall with a Starbucks was the best new thing this year. Welcome.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:48 PM

101 posts, read 490,067 times
Hello Rev. Goodman: Thank you for your informative reply.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:59 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
We have an old family friend who lives in Mercedes Texas. I noticed there were alot of people who are only there for the winter from the really colder climates.

I didn't care for the place because of all the illegals. I have also heard that because so many illegals come across the boarder and walk into the hospital to get free treatment, many doctors have left the area. I had heard that to find an OB/GYN its particularly difficult.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:25 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times
well yeah...malpractice rates are TRIPLE for physicians down here in South Texas. why the hayull would any doc in their right mind want to voluntarily practice down here? and yes, the hospitals down here are LOADED with illegals in USBP custody...and they get free medical care that we the taxpayers pay for. yeppers. you heard correctly. and the pregnant ones cross the border before their due date, and then get free labor/delivery care, and all the benefits of our welfare system to support them and their baby. SOMETHING has got to be done. most of my patients are illegals. i resent the fact that i have to SERIOUSLY consider whether my emergency is worth my ER copay, and if i can afford it...but they can come in for blistered feet after walking for 8 days from Guatemala or whatever and get a free ER visit. i could go on and on but i am disgusted. i really need to go see the movie SICKO by Michael Moore...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
We have an old family friend who lives in Mercedes Texas. I noticed there were alot of people who are only there for the winter from the really colder climates.

I didn't care for the place because of all the illegals. I have also heard that because so many illegals come across the boarder and walk into the hospital to get free treatment, many doctors have left the area. I had heard that to find an OB/GYN its particularly difficult.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,553 times
;
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Mercedes ISD schools are not good but they do have South Texas ISD and Med high. I am telling you it is quite possibly the most provincial town in the Valley. There is a lot of "light on dark" prejudice. When I taught there, if a kid was from Indian Hills (a very large colonia north of town) he was a troublemaker before he opened his mouth.
Harlingen is the best place to be in the Valley.
I will have to disagree on the school district. I was born and rasied in Mercedes and attended all schools. I graduated in 1984 and am proud of it. I have since moved to San Benito and have my child attending school there. For the first two years I was very satisfied with the teachers. The following years have been very discouraging. I don't want to put any school districts down because the situations are all different. It is that some teachers are mean and others aren't. Some schools are good while others aren't. Alot has to do with politics. We as parents who select school board members to run our schools need to speak up when we are not satisfied with what is going on.

I have 17 neices and nephews who have attended and are still attending the Mercedes schools and their parents have had no problems. We are not anglo nor are we rich. We are only Mercedes citizens.

When I attended school, I myself, and if I can recall, neither did my friends ever put any Indian Hill children down. We also got other students for other surrounding little cities like Blue Town and Santa Maria and were neither put down because of where they came from.

So to summon this up, as per me, a Mercedes School attendee, the school is just at the same level as others. Just because Harlingen has 2 High Schools doesn't mean their better only that the town is bigger.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,525 times
Default Looking for someone

Hey all,

I am trying to find the address (phone #) for the Abel family. They are from IA. They spend 1/2 a year down in Mercedes. They may have their son living down there now. Any help would be great!

Old 07-27-2007, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 10,898 times
"Mercedes ISD schools are not good but they do have South Texas ISD and Med high. I am telling you it is quite possibly the most provincial town in the Valley. There is a lot of "light on dark" prejudice. When I taught there, if a kid was from Indian Hills (a very large colonia north of town) he was a troublemaker before he opened his mouth.
Harlingen is the best place to be in the Valley."

I have to agree with A Saldana on the school district. I have had the opportunity to live in another state in an area surrounded by nationally ranked school systems and even worked for one. When we returned to the RGV after several years, I chose to work for MISD. Not only is the school system great, but it is a very united community. The kids from the Indian Hills area are actually some of the brightest and most dedicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas