Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:17 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
With baseball, I don't hear of anybody in Houston who hates the Rangers. National League is its own little world. With baseball, the Astros have a tad more longevity than the Rangers.
Wait... Who are the Rangers?

Quote:
(And of course any hint of a Houston-Dallas rivalry pales in comparison to Aggie-Longhorn - although even there I think it is a lot bigger deal for Aggies than it is for Horns - is there any other school that mentions its rival in its fight song??)
There is that little ad-lib from the 'Horns on OU weekend, but you're right. The Texas A&M culture indoctrinates their people from day one to hate the Longhorns, and I think that many in College Station actually believe that the same thing is happening in Austin.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:25 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Houston's rivalry with Dallas is definately bigger than anything Dallas and Fort Worth have going on. I think Dallas and Fort Worth have pretty much realized the benefits of regionalism.
Exactly

Old 02-24-2010, 07:08 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
I don't hear anybody talk much about Dallas actually...other than sports.
Yeah. People up here dont talk much about Houston either. I think Dallas and Houston are both too consumed with themselves to worry about each other.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:13 AM

1,781 posts, read 955,928 times
Quote:
With NFL...I feel sure there are lots more Cowboy-haters in Houston than there are Texans-haters in Dallas. Mainly because of the Cowboys success and longevity. (Several Cowboys fans in Houston too).

With baseball, I don't hear of anybody in Houston who hates the Rangers. National League is its own little world. With baseball, the Astros have a tad more longevity than the Rangers.

NBA...pretty even I think...but even still the Rockets fans tend to hate the Jazz and the Lakers more than the Mavs. (In my opinion of course!)

I don't hear anybody talk much about Dallas actually...other than sports.

Texas residents have a pretty good superiority complex to other states anyway.

Houston does deal with its national image of being successful in spite of its visual blight, sprawl and weather. That seems, to me, to be more of a national image issue than a Houston-Dallas thing.

(And of course any hint of a Houston-Dallas rivalry pales in comparison to Aggie-Longhorn - although even there I think it is a lot bigger deal for Aggies than it is for Horns - is there any other school that mentions its rival in its fight song??)
Ah, yea, it's called t.u.

"Texas fight, Texas fight and it's goodbye to A&M....

Old 02-24-2010, 11:39 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,840,928 times
Dallas vs. Fort Worth is the real rivalry. Houston hardly ever comes up in the conversation if at all in the Metroplex. Anyway the Dallas vs. Fort Worth rivalry is heating up once again. Fort Worth has a gained a lot of traction in the region over the last decade with the huge population explosion.

Situation like this one…..
Fort Worth didn't receive a dime for its street car system. Seriously, this is a bunch of bull. One side of the metro will have light rail system and street car system. Fort Worth and the rest of Tarrant County continue to have no form of mass transit. Doesn't make sense but I believe politics as usual play huge part in these decisions on how this money is distributed.

JJG –Fort Worth native responds

So much for the "partnership".....

I'm pissed, but there are other funds out there. This doesn't mean the streetcar system is dead, but it does slow it down a bit.

And this is just another reason why the city of Fort Worth should stop going into big name events or projects along with Dallas.

//www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...e-federal.html

Old 02-24-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Dallas vs. Fort Worth is the real rivalry. Houston hardly ever comes up in the conversation if at all in the Metroplex. Anyway the Dallas vs. Fort Worth rivalry is heating up once again. Fort Worth has a gained a lot of traction in the region over the last decade with the huge population explosion.
That was my line...

Same down in Houston. Its like Dallas doesn't exist even though its only 200 miles to the north. In the local media & during the 5 O' clock weather forecasts they rarely mention Dallas unless a severe storm is about to strike the city or the Rockets beat the Mavericks.

Quote:
Fort Worth and the rest of Tarrant County continue to have no form of mass transit.
Fort Worth does indeed have a city bus as inefficient as it may be.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:52 PM

328 posts, read 471,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
That was my line...

Same down in Houston. Its like Dallas doesn't exist even though its only 200 miles to the north. In the local media & during the 5 O' clock weather forecasts they rarely mention Dallas unless a severe storm is about to strike the city or the Rockets beat the Mavericks.

Fort Worth does indeed have a city bus as inefficient as it may be.
You got that right. Every time I've visited my good friend down in Houston I've noticed that what passes for local television news is nothing more than a crime blotter. Fifteen minutes of robberies, break-ins, fires, crashes and all else that is mayhem-related. I suppose it's cheaper to produce that type of newscast.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
You got that right. Every time I've visited my good friend down in Houston I've noticed that what passes for local television news is nothing more than a crime blotter. Fifteen minutes of robberies, break-ins, fires, crashes and all else that is mayhem-related. I suppose it's cheaper to produce that type of newscast.
I think every big cities news stations are like that. Even here in lil ol Tyler its the same way...church fires, robberies, abductions, home invasions, murders, you name it we've got it covered.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:59 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Quote:
Dallas vs. Fort Worth is the real rivalry. Situation like this one…..
Fort Worth didn't receive a dime for its street car system. Seriously, this is a bunch of bull. One side of the metro will have light rail system and street car system. Fort Worth and the rest of Tarrant County continue to have no form of mass transit. Doesn't make sense but I believe politics as usual play huge part in these decisions on how this money is distributed.

//www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...e-federal.html
Take heart - the streetcar may go west out of Downtown Dallas on Fort Worth Avenue.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:57 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,250,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post

That's the local news everywhere nowadays. I used to want to be a broadcast journalist years ago, but I'm glad I didn't go into that as a career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas