Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 01:49 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times

Advertisements

Been in California for a week now after 19 years in Texas. Enjoyed our time there but happy to be here. So much beauty and the climate is magic. Nearly all the stereotypes of both states have a degree of truth. The reasons to move to or love them are well known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 09:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Been in California for a week now after 19 years in Texas. Enjoyed our time there but happy to be here. So much beauty and the climate is magic. Nearly all the stereotypes of both states have a degree of truth. The reasons to move to or love them are well known.
So since this thread is about why people live in Texas, why did you live in Texas for 19 years?

Old 06-20-2014, 11:59 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
I've been in TX for 4 years now, by way of Mississippi. I made the move to be closer to family. I'm still making up my mind if I like it or not. I'm more of a country lover, and living in Dallas may not be the ideal place for me.

I think the previous poster who said whatever you grew up around would always feel like home. For me, that is New England. Sometimes I long for it, but I know I'll never move back there.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:18 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolph09 View Post
If you insist on having a big house, big car, on driving everywhere, and like warm weather, you'll like Texas.
Why would anyone want to live in a small house or apartment and walk everywhere in cold weather? You could do that in Seattle, at twice the cost.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Why would anyone want to live in a small house or apartment and walk everywhere in cold weather? You could do that in Seattle, at twice the cost.
Right...let's see...do I want to live in a big house on a big lot and pay about $5000 in property taxes and ZERO income tax, with a three car garage to house both spacious vehicles plus the boat... or do I want to live in a tiny apartment because I could never even HOPE to be able to afford a single family house, store my bike on the tiny patio, pay income taxes, and rely on public transportation to get everywhere...hmmmm, what will it be, what will it be...

Old 06-20-2014, 06:49 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
That's one of the reasons I live in Texas! Well, one of many reasons. Texas is home, and every time I've lived elsewhere, I felt out of place - like a visitor or an outsider.

No matter who you are, there is some place in Texas that will be to your liking (unless you're just a hater).

We know what's right and what's wrong. We know the difference between "y'all" and "all y'all," where "over yonder" is, and that "ain't" is indeed a word. We learned that what sounds like "damnyankee" is actually two separate words. We welcome transplants with smiles and open arms. We'll bring you a covered dish and help you unload the truck while our kids play together, but we'll also be quick to let you know that we don't care how you did things back east / up north / out west - after all, you moved here for a reason.

We've got the friendliest, salt-of-the-Earth people on the planet, land is cheap, the weather is good (most of the time, in most places), taxes and prices are low, our economy is doing very well, business is booming and jobs are plentiful, our politicians haven't (yet) gone as far off the deep end as have those in DC and elsewhere. We've got the best country cooking, BBQ, Mexican food, and beer in the country. We gave the world Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, Beyonce, Pantera, Janis Joplin, Scott Joplin, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, ZZ Top, Bob Wills, Ernest Tubb, George Strait, George Jones, Selena, Boozoo Chavis, Big Mama Thornton, Clarence Gatemouth Brown, Lightnin' Hopkins, and Stevie Ray Vaughan - and that's just the tip of the iceberg. You can skydive, bass fish, shop for antiques, grow your own tomatoes, brew your own beer, dance, play cards, rope & ride, race down (or around) the track, read to the children at the library, play piano at the senior citizens' center, pick peaches, attend a wine tasting, explore caves & caverns, see a play, ride a roller coaster, surf, fish, hunt, vote, take a walk in the park (or down a country road), cheer at the local high school football game on Friday night, cheer at a college football game on Saturday, cheer at an NFL game on Sunday, raise a family, and sit on your porch with a cold glass of sweet tea and thank God for it all.
Simply put, a GREAT post!!! Love it!!!

Old 06-20-2014, 06:54 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right...let's see...do I want to live in a big house on a big lot and pay about $5000 in property taxes and ZERO income tax, with a three car garage to house both spacious vehicles plus the boat... or do I want to live in a tiny apartment because I could never even HOPE to be able to afford a single family house, store my bike on the tiny patio, pay income taxes, and rely on public transportation to get everywhere...hmmmm, what will it be, what will it be...
Uh huh, that's a hard one, isn't it? Hmm, let's see . . . hmm, . . . I've got it! I'm going to pick the first option! LOL

Old 06-21-2014, 01:03 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So since this thread is about why people live in Texas, why did you live in Texas for 19 years?
Not sure if you saw my goodbye thread, but basically my wife and I moved as a young couple with no kids not for the typical cost if living reasons but more for adventure and change of pace. We were never fed up with California or anything like that. We did like Texas and our kids were born there , but we felt the call home and I'm astonished with climate and the beauty in California that I took for granted. I think Texas has a lot to offer too. Space, low cost, and growth.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Not sure if you saw my goodbye thread, but basically my wife and I moved as a young couple with no kids not for the typical cost if living reasons but more for adventure and change of pace. We were never fed up with California or anything like that. We did like Texas and our kids were born there , but we felt the call home and I'm astonished with climate and the beauty in California that I took for granted. I think Texas has a lot to offer too. Space, low cost, and growth.
Thanks for the explanation!

Old 06-21-2014, 06:18 AM

My husband and I moved about an hour from our prior home in East Texas (still in East Texas but closer to Dallas) just last week, so we're enjoying exploring "new" communities around here.

We drove into Ben Wheeler last night and got one of the most pleasant surprises! Ben Wheeler is a HAPPENIN' little itty bitty town! It's very isolated and so imagine our surprise when we came into town and suddenly saw cars and pickups parked all over the little downtown area! There are at least two restaurants there that have live bands and "boot scootin'" every weekend! We ate a great dinner of ribs, beans and potato salad, with a coupla cold ones, and thoroughly enjoyed the typical Texas atmosphere of classic country music via a live band, and entire families enjoying that dance hall experience.

At one point I turned around to my husband and said, "I can't tell you how glad I am that we decided to stay in Texas."

http://benwheelertx.com/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ben-wheeler-texas-ben-wheeler
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas