Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 06:32 PM

4 posts, read 52,651 times

Advertisements

I may have a fantastic job offer in Amarillo and I could use a few thoughts from all of you.

I am from a small town in Wi : very friendly, conservative, religious, very safe, great schools - the typical "everyone knows everyone". Now I do realize that I am going to a big city 200,000+ people compared to my 25,000 so there will be more crime, more religions, etc.

Is it welcoming to outsiders? Diverse? Family friendly? Is there a certain area I should look? My job would be (darn, I can't recall the address, but pretty close to 27th and Osage??) I'm not so much concerned about the weather - I'm in Wisconsin.

Just hoping that ya'll can describe the area and the people in a few words for me!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 08:06 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,972 times
You pretty much described Amarillo.......very friendly, conservative, religious, very safe, great schools - the typical "everyone knows everyone". Well, mostly. And even tho it's much larger than your hometown, it does not have a big city feel. Most people in the business/medical community operate socially within that group so that makes for a little 'city within a city' atmosphere. The west and southwest part of the city (beginning at about the area you mentioned) is the safer, newer part of town. The north and northeast part of town is much different. There are two separate school districts (called ISD's) because Amarillo is in two counties (Potter and Randell) - they are not created equal so if you have school children you need to check that out carefully.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:01 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
Be prepared for being isolated. Even though Amarillo is big for you, it is in the proverbial middle of nowhere, there isn't really any other small, medium or large city anywhere near by. Just small towns for hours in any direction. So that isolation will be different.

Also, much drier, dustier...very changeable, windy weather, Wisconsin cold, Texas heat meet up here...and while Amarillo is no Wisconsin, it isn't the iconic mild sunbelt weather eaither. Plenty of snow and ice up that way.

All in all it is a nice place to transition from what you are used to. It is also somewhat close to the mountains in NM compared to Wisconsin.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 15,258 times
Default Amarillo is more than close to OK

I moved to Amarillo in the 80's from a 25,000 town. We felt welcome and included from the beginning. What I learned is that AMA is welcoming because we get such a bad wrap from outsiders that we are impressed that anyone would voluntarily come here. The people here are as warm and friendly as you could find anywhere.
The bad wrap for weather is unjustified. Yes, the weather can be severe at times but is mostly pleasant with generally mild winters and little humidity in the summer. The isolation from major cities is a positive not a negative because we have plenty of amenities right here and DFW is an hour's flight away.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:27 AM

Thanks everyone!
Where I live in Wi now, it's just one small town after another until you get to Milwaukee or Green Bay. I would say most of the towns don't care where you're from, as long as you're a good neighbor, you don't cause trouble, etc. I'm hoping Amarillo is like this too?

With religion - is it "my way or the highway" type? Here everyone wants to make sure that you're going to "their" church as it's the best one and as they see - the only one. Are there different types of religions? I had read somewhere that there were a lot of mormons, but not sure if this is correct or how many "a lot" is. We go to a christian church, however have been known to skip if it's a beautiful day to play outside Are we going to be frowned on??

As far as weather, I'm not at all concerned. Like I said - I'm in Wi. We are lucky if we get 4 months of great weather! A little snow, ice and wind - I can handle!

Now with the schools. In the area we've been looking for houses, most of the schools were getting 7-10's on the greatschools.net website. I'm not sure if this is accurate according to local people. Is there specific areas or schools that I should look for? I do have 3 kids - and 2 of them will be in school.

Any other thoughts you have I would definitely welcome! Thank you all!

Old 03-04-2010, 09:01 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
I moved to Amarillo years ago from California, although I am originally from CHicago. I stayed in Amarillo for over 13 years and only left to accept a great job offer in WA state. I am now back in the Texas Panhandle, atlhough closer to Lubbock.

I sometimes miss the lushness and green of IL, WI and the upper great lakes, but not the humidity. You get over it, and that's what vacations are for. It will take some time to get used to the dust storms, drier weather, etc, but that being said, it's kinda cool to see tumbleweeds whipping around for the first time (unless you're trying to duck them on the highway) and I love the summer thunderstorms (not the hail part) and the sunrises and sunsets here are the best ever.

The people of West Texas are the best. It isn't a my way or the highway regarding religion. People will invite you to worship at their church or ask if you have found a church home, but you can politely decline or say you already attend a church and that will be that.

The isolatation (closest big cities are 4 hours away in either direction, Albuquerque to the west, Oklahoma City to the east) isn't really a big deal, because you can find just about anything you need in Amarillo. Lubbock does have some stores Amarillo does not. It's a college town and only 2 hours south. It really isn't a big deal.

About the weather---you are from the North so you are a hearty type, but you can't really underestimate the wind. You'll see what I mean.

DM me if you have specific questions or concerns. I'd be glad to help.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:24 AM

443 posts, read 1,345,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by out2texas View Post
I may have a fantastic job offer in Amarillo and I could use a few thoughts from all of you.

I am from a small town in Wi : very friendly, conservative, religious, very safe, great schools - the typical "everyone knows everyone". Now I do realize that I am going to a big city 200,000+ people compared to my 25,000 so there will be more crime, more religions, etc.

Is it welcoming to outsiders? Diverse? Family friendly? Is there a certain area I should look? My job would be (darn, I can't recall the address, but pretty close to 27th and Osage??) I'm not so much concerned about the weather - I'm in Wisconsin.

Just hoping that ya'll can describe the area and the people in a few words for me!

Thanks!

As others have said, you've basically described Amarillo! I think you'll like it based on what you've described. The people I've known from there are very friendly and welcoming to newcomers. It is probably the most conservative, religious large town in Texas aside from Lubbock. For what its worth, the "reddest" area of the entire country in the 2008 presidential election was the Texas panhandle.

In terms of amenities Amarillo is not the greatest, IMO. There are probably only a handful of nice restaurants/shops within 200 miles of the city. But, that may not be important to you. And, as others have said, you can pop over to Albuquerque in 4 hours and DFW in 3-4 hours driving if you want a bigger city and the associated amenities.

I think Amarillo has some of the best weather of any city in Texas. 4 distinct seasons and they do not get the oppressive humidity Houston or Dallas get June-September. Snow each winter, but not as much as WI, and massive thunderstorms (I love thunderstorms!) in Spring and early Summer. Very windy often as there is little to block the wind from sweeping down the plain.

Bottom line, Amarillo has a bad rap because everyone that lives in the "big" cities can't understand why anyone would live that far out in a "desolate" place but I think Amarillo is underrated. You've got good weather if you like 4 seasons, significant variation in landscape (from flat farmland to the impressive Palo Duro Canyon state park) and relatively close proximity to one of the largest cities in the US (DFW). With a job offer in hand I'd say go for it!

Old 03-04-2010, 09:47 AM

Ok, I have definitely decided that Amarillo is a place we could call home! THANK YOU ALL!!

I guess my main concern was us being felt welcome - as I know how it can be when you have that "small town mentality" of not liking anyone new for the simple fact that they're new. We are very friendly, love to spend summer nights out with all our nieghbors and their kids and I would miss it if we weren't able to find that there.

I was starting to think that the bad rap about Amarillo being "out there" was from those who truely enjoy ALL the amenities of living in the city. Now if I want to get groceries or any basic necessity I have to drive aobut 15-20 mins. If we want anything other than socks and underwear it's about a 45 mins drive. And forget decent restaurants - unless you you don't mind McD's and Taco Bell - that's a good 45 mins too.

And thunderstorms - I LOVE thunderstorms and always wish we got more here. I definitely will not miss the frozen tundra though

Thank ya'll and I will let you know as things get finalized!! Cross your fingers for me!

Old 03-04-2010, 11:26 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
People in Texas are very friendly. You seem nice and outgoing and will make friends with neighbors quickly. Since you don't mind being isolated from larger cities, you won't have many issues.

Most of the rain in Amarillo comes in the thunderstorms, so they will be quite an experience.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:00 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,972 times
As religion goes......church-going is a pretty big part of life in the Panhandle, but most people don't harrass you about it if you aren't interested.....they'll invite you but not shun you if you don't go. It's a source of social life and networking for many people.....guess that's why so many 'non-denominational' churches have sprung up over the past few years. Protestantism is predominant (Baptists mainly) but there are a number of Catholics (that part of the country was settled originally by German farmers). I don't recall meeting any Mormons there, altho there were number in Lubbock (the nearest large town) but I'm sure there are some there. It's a young person's town....mainly between 25-55 years old....so lots of young families. The churches spend lots of effort and money keeping the young people busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas