Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 12:54 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
True...or the fall foliage.

Tyler & surrounding country side is absolutely beautiful right now!
you need to take some pics lol

...i did see some decent fall colors when i was in houston, though. but nothing compared to northern texas

Old 11-29-2010, 11:57 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Houston is a great choice, but you are romanticizing Houston. I have seen this so many times before. Im from California, and you have no idea how many people build up LA in their mind of what they think it is or what they want it to be. Then they get there and its not what they had in mind. As a result, they become very uphappy and very dissappointed. For example if you think Houston is more like Chicago than Atlanta, when you arrive in Houston, you will be sorely disappointed.

I also cant see how Houston is an underdog. Houston has everyones respect and a good economy.

My point is this: Ask all the questions you like, but hold off on building it up, romanticizing it, and forming opinions (which you have been doing) until you can finally visit. The reason is that until you visit a place for some time, you cant possible know what it is.
oh, wow, I need to carry my umbrella with me today cause for a change I totally agree with you.

OMG I heard soooo many excellent things about San Antonio before I moved there (Austin too for that matter). I heard how SA is so much better than Houston and it is a much better place to live. I had t up so high in my mind, that when I got there it took a tremendous fall. One so hard that it couldn't be put back together again. I ended up thinking the place was the worst place to live, and four years later I still think so.

I don't think Austin is as bad, but the expectations were far from met

Old 11-29-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i'm not saying houston would have to be perfect all around, but i just think there are so many areas that could look so much better than they do.

the palm trees drove me absolutely nuts
screw dat. Zoning would ruin our city. You don't like the look of it so you don't have to move here. We who did choose to live here love it the way it is and we constantly reject zoning ordinances for that very reason.

I think Houston looks fine. Love it Love it Love it

Old 11-29-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
This is my take on Houston's "scenery"...Houston is HUGEEEEEEE..I love the way the 610 loop area looks..I even like parts of Southeast/Southwest outside of 610 loop..but those areas that are populated..then you have parts like Woodlands(which I feel like is one of the best looking burbs in the state I've been to period)..I love the palm trees because it gives Houston's a different vibe to it..its like damn where am I at?? Texas or South Florida. I like the mixture of Pine Trees and Palm Trees...now the UGLY parts that gives the city a bad impression..is areas like 59 N or I-45 N...1960 N..I can do without some of those eye sores..

I think it's that area of Houston that throws people off..and the fact that it's pretty flat..hell not to diss Dallas or San Antonio but I think Houston's scenery is alot better then those 2 cities..

and i'm not even from Houston..straight out of East Texas/Piney Woods which is feel like is one of the best looking areas of the state..right after the Hill Country...
I agree with you. I don't know what people are always raving about the looks of Dallas and SA (I love Dallas, hate SA) but both look ugly that Houston in my opinion. Austin too for that matter. I like parts outside of Austin, but the inside you can keep.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:12 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
screw dat. Zoning would ruin our city. You don't like the look of it so you don't have to move here. We who did choose to live here love it the way it is and we constantly reject zoning ordinances for that very reason.

I think Houston looks fine. Love it Love it Love it
You do have to admit that Houston could stand to get a major facelift. It's a wonderful city and the better parts of Houston: Midtown, Riveroaks/Upper Kirby, Katy Freeway/West Houston corridor, and the Museum District are very nice looking, but a good portion of the city looks like there could've been a nuclear explosion.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
You do have to admit that Houston could stand to get a major facelift. It's a wonderful city and the better parts of Houston: Midtown, Riveroaks/Upper Kirby, Katy Freeway/West Houston corridor, and the Museum District are very nice looking, but a good portion of the city looks like there could've been a nuclear explosion.
facelift yes, beautifying yes,

zoning?? Big fat Madea style hells to nah.

If all these ares (which are all mixed use) can be nice without zoning, then the rest can be too.

The areas you think look nice look that way because they have narrower streets and are heavily planted. The major streets outside 610 all look like highways and these areas are more concrete than planted.

My absolute number one thing I hated about SA, Dallas and ATL was how freaking far I had to go for a darn Chillies restaurant. Freaking 'A', talk about inconvenient cities. I know people complain about Houston's sprawl but at least every thing is convenient located.

convenience is always number one in my book, and since I live around the areas you consider pretty, then it is convenient and pretty, so no complaints here

Old 11-29-2010, 12:53 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Chicago was just ranked as the 8th most beautiful city in the world this year. It's my hometown and I love it, but I want to ask you guys have you ever seen the slums of Chicago, New York City, Detroit, Philadelphia, & Baltimore?

There is nothing in Houston that looks as ugly as this, NOTHING:

That picture is in New York City, bad areas like that exist in many neighborhoods of The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, & Staten Island.

Houston from my experience to the places I have been is a decent city it is not astonishingly beautiful like Seattle but it is not at all ugly like some of the cities either where Million live in the slummy conditions those pictures display.

Like seriously everyone here, get a grip. When I drive through a Ghetto like the one on Wilcrest area in Houston, I feel like I have nothing to fear. When I accidentally went into East Harlem by NOT getting off the train at the right stop, that was some nuclear bombed out scary looking area.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Chicago was just ranked as the 8th most beautiful city in the world this year. It's my hometown and I love it, but I want to ask you guys have you ever seen the slums of Chicago, New York City, Detroit, Philadelphia, & Baltimore?

There is nothing in Houston that looks as ugly as this, NOTHING:

That picture is in New York City, bad areas like that exist in many neighborhoods of The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, & Staten Island.

Houston from my experience to the places I have been is a decent city it is not astonishingly beautiful like Seattle but it is not at all ugly like some of the cities either where Million live in the slummy conditions those pictures display.

Like seriously everyone here, get a grip. When I drive through a Ghetto like the one on Wilcrest area in Houston, I feel like I have nothing to fear. When I accidentally went into East Harlem by NOT getting off the train at the right stop, that was some nuclear bombed out scary looking area.

yeah I agree. I don't get why some people say Houston is Ugly, I don't get that at all. I know Al doesn't like Palm trees and prefers asphalt to concrete and brick roads (Personally i think asphalt roads are ugly and concrete and brick is nicer), but that is all personal tastes.

The pic Danny posted is definitely personal tastes though, I don't know why it is Houston alone getting ragged on.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:52 PM

well, to each his own. all i know is that i don't like the way most of houston looks. i guess if i could only pick two things to change about the area, it would be the crazy trees and the architecture. everything else i could live with

with cities like new york and chicago, the ghettoes are just urban decay, and really aren't ugly to me at all.....the dfw area is certainly bland (especially around fort worth), but not ugly to me

Old 11-29-2010, 02:01 PM

...and i never said i didn't like palm trees. i said i didn't like the way houston plants too many of them, like they're the only tree in the world. they're nice in moderation; they look taudry when overplanted.

i might be nitpicky about stuff like this, but i have every right to be, people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas