Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 05:44 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
htownlove, you asked me a question, and i answered it. you cannot convince me that metro atlanta is as equally unattractive as houston is. it simply isn't in my opinion. i never stated that it was fact, but you cannot force others to agree with your opinion. it doesn't work that way

atlanta's architecture is more stunning, their trees are more beautiful, there's more attention to aesthetics, etc
There you are doing it again, when did the inner city become the metro???

Old 11-29-2010, 07:09 PM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Your first impression goes a long way and I hate to say it. But Houston's thoroughfares do not leave a good impression coming from all directions be it 45, 10, or 59. Interstate 45 from the north is obvious the ugliest. But I-45 from Galveston isn't exactly nice either. Interstate 10 from Katy is decent but still not very aesthetically pleasing. Nor is I-10 coming from Beaumont. Now the inner loop thoroughfares is MUCH better and much more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. I wish Houston could have trenched the freeways. But oh well.

I like the idea of sound barriers. Interstate 95 in Miami has that.
Miami - Google Maps

The best city that hides it is probably Washington DC but they have it lucky since it sits directly on the fall line inside the piedmont.
Washington DC - Google Maps

Since I started on the internet on the various urban forums, I made a thread about feeders, access roads, or service roads (w/e) you call them. They are convenient, true. But they also invite ugliness to the freeway. Business flock to them like ants. I simply HATE them and wish Texas stop building them. I like the roundabouts under the freeway but I can do w/o those ugly

Old 11-29-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Your first impression goes a long way and I'm sad to say it. But Houston's thoroughfares do not leave a good impression coming from all the directions. Interstate 45 from the north is obvious the ugliest. But I-45 from Galveston isn't exactly nice either. Interstate 10 from Katy is decent but still not very aesthetically pleasing. Nor is I-10 coming from Beaumont. Now the inner loop thoroughfares is MUCH better and much more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. I wish Houston could have trenched the freeways. But oh well.

I like the idea of sound barriers. Interstate 95 in Miami has that.
Miami - Google Maps

The best city that hides it is probably Washington DC but they have it lucky since it sits directly on the fall line inside the piedmont.
Washington DC - Google Maps

Since I started on the internet on the various urban forums, I made a thread about feeders, access roads, or service roads (w/e) you call them. They are convenient, true. But they also invite ugliness to the freeway. Business flock to them like ants. I simply HATE them and wish Texas stop building them. I like the roundabouts under the freeway but I can do w/o those ugly
lol, all of you are nuts. first Al wants to get rid of my lack of zoning and my trees now you want to get rid of feeders???? are you guys mad???? the feeders are the best thing about Houston highways. they are life savers when there is an accident or back up, and it makes not getting lost so much easier

Old 11-29-2010, 07:19 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
In this case, it's the city's appearance off the highway. The same way a pretty girl or handsome man can't go to a job interview dressed in shabby clothes, city's can't have rough appearances off the freeway. It is what it is.
well that's not the case with me. i've lived in texas for more than 20 years and i've been to houston more times than i can count. i've been all over the metro; every quadrant of it. so i'm not like others who are just judging houston from what they see from the freeway. hell, driving on some freeways don't even bother me as much as some sites IN the city do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
With that said man to me the outer areas that make up metro Atlanta are just as fugly as some Houston burbs. It's just as much sticks,rural looking areas of uncut grass. And it's really when you start getting in the cities core for me when you start seeing the true beauty. Atlanta just does a better job of hiding the uglies..
well, i never said atlanta was perfect. it definitely has it's shabby looking parts. i guess, at the end of the day, it's more of a natural scenery thing. i'm sure that many would agree that piedmont georgia is more beautiful than gulf coastal texas (and those who don't agree, oh well), and it's because of atlanta's natural setting that they can "get away" with things that houston can't, in my opinion.

that's what this is about. it's having a few ugly things versus a bunch of ugly things. yes, atlanta has sprawl and blight, industrial looking areas, unkempt lots, abandoned buildings; but they make up for it with more appealing architecture, better landscaping, and nicer trees and hills to "hide" the ugly. there also aren't any concrete roads, flat terrain, or a sea of retarded looking trees to be found

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
There you are doing it again, when did the inner city become the metro???
what? i'm talking about the entire metro. when i say architecture, i'm not just talking about downtown towers, i'm talking about everything else

Old 11-29-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
well that's not the case with me. i've lived in texas for more than 20 years and i've been to houston more times than i can count. i've been all over the metro; every quadrant of it. so i'm not like others who are just judging houston from what they see from the freeway. hell, driving on some freeways don't even bother me as much as some sites IN the city do.

well, i never said atlanta was perfect. it definitely has it's shabby looking parts. i guess, at the end of the day, it's more of a natural scenery thing. i'm sure that many would agree that piedmont georgia is more beautiful than gulf coastal texas (and those who don't agree, oh well), and it's because of atlanta's natural setting that they can "get away" with things that houston can't, in my opinion.

that's what this is about. it's having a few ugly things versus a bunch of ugly things. yes, atlanta has sprawl and blight, industrial looking areas, unkempt lots, abandoned buildings; but they make up for it with more appealing architecture, better landscaping, and nicer trees and hills to "hide" the ugly. there also aren't any concrete roads, flat terrain, or a sea of retarded looking trees to be found

what? i'm talking about the entire metro. when i say architecture, i'm not just talking about downtown towers, i'm talking about everything else
Houston has little control as to how the surrounding cities choose to decorate don't blame me if my neighbor starts putting up gaudy lights and reindeer on the roof. On this county you have to compare Houston to Atlanta. Not Baytown to Sandy Springs and say you comparing Houston to Atlanta. that is stupid.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:33 PM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
lol, all of you are nuts. first Al wants to get rid of my lack of zoning and my trees now you want to get rid of feeders???? are you guys mad???? the feeders are the best thing about Houston highways. they are life savers when there is an accident or back up, and it makes not getting lost so much easier
Yeah but notice how I say that it's only good for convenience. I've been caught up in accidents and back ups and used the access roads. That was great. I also do the same in Chicago and they don't have access roads. But the secondary streets run along side the freeways. But other than the convenience of the access roads, it helps create an ugly area when you have businesses sprawled up and down the freeway. I remember a picture of San Antonio a few weeks ago and I'll try to find it. One of the ugliest areas I ever seen.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:40 PM

atlanta definitely has it's ugly parts, so no one can tell me that i'm trying to say it's nothing but beautiful:

atlanta ga - Google Maps

atlanta ga - Google Maps

....but it also has it's awesome looking parts, that you just don't get in houston

atlanta ga - Google Maps

Kenilworth Circle, Stone Mountain, GA - Google Maps

Atlanta, GA - Google Maps

Old 11-29-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Houston has little control as to how the surrounding cities choose to decorate don't blame me if my neighbor starts putting up gaudy lights and reindeer on the roof. On this county you have to compare Houston to Atlanta. Not Baytown to Sandy Springs and say you comparing Houston to Atlanta. that is stupid.
what the hell are you talking about? i'm comparing metro atlanta to metro houston . but just for the argument's sake, inner loop houston is comparable in size to the city of atlanta; and atlanta still comes out on top

Old 11-29-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah but notice how I say that it's only good for convenience. I've been caught up in accidents and back ups and used the access roads. That was great. I also do the same in Chicago and they don't have access roads. But the secondary streets run along side the freeways. But other than the convenience of the access roads, it helps create an ugly area when you have businesses sprawled up and down the freeway. I remember a picture of San Antonio a few weeks ago and I'll try to find it. One of the ugliest areas I ever seen.
i'm sure i know exactly what you're talking about. i do know that the eastern half of loop 410 is very nasty looking. it starts to look better west of san pedro (where the hills start)

here's 410 by the airport:

san antonio tx - Google Maps

Old 11-29-2010, 07:55 PM

sorry, but there's nothing in houston as stunningly beautiful as north atlanta, as far as i can tell....i like this guy's videos:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas