Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 02:24 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
if i may say, guys, if nothing else i would atleast like to see the city plant nicer trees. especially in midtown. i actually love the way live oaks look when they get big, but they're not fast growers...and i kind of got tired of seeing them all over midtown. you'd be surprised how much the trees you plant can completely transform an area
Midtown has tons of big live oaks. maybe I am Palm blind, but I don't remember seeing that many palms in mid town. First you had a problem with palms now the live oaks are not big enough?

Midtown:

http://www.ezzyliving.com/Images/midtown_img5.jpg (broken link)

I don't want to be mean, I am just not understanding where it is you go when you come to Midtown, or Houston for that matter. are you sure it was midtown you were going through?

Old 11-30-2010, 02:57 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Midtown has tons of big live oaks. maybe I am Palm blind, but I don't remember seeing that many palms in mid town. First you had a problem with palms now the live oaks are not big enough?

I don't want to be mean, I am just not understanding where it is you go when you come to Midtown, or Houston for that matter. are you sure it was midtown you were going through?
yes it was midtown. and i didn't say there weren't any big oaks in midtown, there were plenty. i'm saying that they keep planting them like they're going to be full grown in a few years, and they aren't. in most cases, the live oak is a relatively slow growing tree and it will be decades before all those little trees are big. because while it does grow to be a beautiful tree, they don't look nice when they're small....i just think it would be nicer to plant something that grows taller and quicker. crepe myrtles grow fast and are pretty much the quintessential southern, street tree. and they look beautiful during both spring and fall

with the oaks, houston is not alone in this aspect. virtually all texas cities are guilty of planting those things in overabundance

and i don't remember saying anything about the palms in midtown

Old 11-30-2010, 03:15 PM

u r such a nit picker. bla bla bla, too many palms, bla bla bla, the oaks are not palms but they grow too slow.

You know Houston trumps San Antonio, Austin and Dallas- Fort Worth in the developed parts of the city right?? (Yes I know The surrounding areas of Austin has many Trees). So trees of all things are not something you should be finding to nitpik about Houston

Old 11-30-2010, 03:41 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:
yes it was midtown. and i didn't say there weren't any big oaks in midtown, there were plenty. i'm saying that they keep planting them like they're going to be full grown in a few years, and they aren't. in most cases, the live oak is a relatively slow growing tree and it will be decades before all those little trees are big. because while it does grow to be a beautiful tree, they don't look nice when they're small....i just think it would be nicer to plant something that grows taller and quicker. crepe myrtles grow fast and are pretty much the quintessential southern, street tree. and they look beautiful during both spring and fall

with the oaks, houston is not alone in this aspect. virtually all texas cities are guilty of planting those things in overabundance

and i don't remember saying anything about the palms in midtown
Man I am so sick of seeing live oak trees on Texas A&M campus I could throw up. That all they plant "just boring"...can we get an abundance of different trees.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:59 PM

I see many many different trees here.

In fact the two most common in my area are Pine and Magnolia. There are also many Live Oaks and Red Oaks and trees I don't know what they are called. A little further south there are many Pecan trees

Old 11-30-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Man I am so sick of seeing live oak trees on Texas A&M campus I could throw up. That all they plant "just boring"...can we get an abundance of different trees.
tell me 'bout it

Old 11-30-2010, 05:34 PM

symmetrical trees make the best ornamental/street trees (especially in the case of newer developments), and houston doesn't have enough of these. even stoneclaw himself agrees with this

Old 11-30-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
symmetrical trees make the best ornamental/street trees (especially in the case of newer developments), and houston doesn't have enough of these. even stoneclaw himself agrees with this
symmetrical like palm trees?

Old 11-30-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
symmetrical like palm trees?
except for those lol

Old 11-30-2010, 05:54 PM

nit picker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas