Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 02:17 AM

374 posts, read 1,124,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Just out of the larger cities: Cleveland, Youngstown, and Dayton are definitely more dangerous. Cincinnati, Canton, Springfield, and Lorain are as bad or worse than Toledo. Not to mention all the smaller cities like East Cleveland that are as bad or much worse than Toledo.
You forgot Akron, but for the past two years, yes, Toledo has been the lowest murder rated large city in Ohio but things are changing right now as I type.... Economically, this city is changing. Toledo just recorded the second highest unemployment rate in the state. The bad areas that were once policed heavily probably will not see as many police on the streets if the city goes through with laying off the 75 police officers as planned. Whatever mayor comes in 2010 will have to clean up Carty's mess. Not only are Toledoens paying more taxes than what their houses are actually worth, but now since the city is $27 million dollars in debt, there are talks of more taxes and more layoffs. And if that happens, then those bad areas mentioned will likely get worse, but only time will tell. In my opinion Toledo is beginning to look alot more like the two major cities north of it. I love this city, its home, but once again Im packing my bags to travel and visit other places south of the whole Midwest period.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 06:41 PM

4 posts, read 15,046 times
i think every side has it's bad parts. me personally. i grew up on the north side in the stickney and lagrange area. i've never had any major problems there and actually like the neighborhood. the only thing i hhave had is a crack head stole change out my car. they never bothered with my cd player,speakers or cds.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:07 PM

21 posts, read 139,736 times
Quote:
Just out of the larger cities: Cleveland, Youngstown, and Dayton are definitely more dangerous. Cincinnati, Canton, Springfield, and Lorain are as bad or worse than Toledo. Not to mention all the smaller cities like East Cleveland that are as bad or much worse than Toledo.

i strongly disagree there have been numerous shootings and arsons recently and with the cop layoffs and the mayor screwing things up it is scary to walk down the streets and police are being accused of brutality and it seems arent trying to stop any crimes because of the layoffs they act like they are way too undermanned it is getting worse at a rapid rate

Old 05-20-2009, 03:11 AM

89 posts, read 450,095 times
east cleveland is FAR WORSE than toledo!

Old 05-20-2009, 06:08 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,926,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoBoi4Life View Post
i strongly disagree there have been numerous shootings and arsons recently and with the cop layoffs and the mayor screwing things up it is scary to walk down the streets and police are being accused of brutality and it seems arent trying to stop any crimes because of the layoffs they act like they are way too undermanned it is getting worse at a rapid rate
What do you mean you "strongly disagree"?

All those cities that I listed are near as bad or worse than Toledo, so I dont see what there is to disagree about. Toledo has ghettos and bad areas, but its not close to the worst in the state. I agree that the decreased police force and presence will only make the city worse though.

Remember, safe=good, dangerous=bad. I could never understand why someone would want a place to be more dangerous.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:25 PM

21 posts, read 139,736 times
you arent seeing wuts going on right now lorain springfield canton? give me a break its getting worse by the minute the ghettos here are way worse u arent here expiriencing wuts going on right now it is worsening by the second especially with the lack of police and the one that are here dont care and are beating up people for loitering i dont hear bout that in lorain

Old 05-21-2009, 11:11 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,926,074 times
You do hear about it in Lorain, youre just not here or paying attention. Lorain has to cut back on police force a lot also, probably the same percentage as Toledo Lorain fire, police cuts seen Morning Journal: Serving Lorain, Erie, Huron and western Cuyahoga counties . If you dont think our police force is corrupt youve obviously never been here before. Lorain police are always getting in trouble for selling/moving drugs, beating people, etc. On top of that the Lorain Police say they are seeing more heroin on the streets than any time before Heroin traffickers sought: Lorain police believe firebombing related to sellers of narcotic Morning Journal: Serving Lorain, Erie, Huron and western Cuyahoga counties (just one example).

Lorain had around 10 murders in 2007, Toledo only had 12 while Lorains less than 1/4th the size.

And yes, Canton and Springfield are just as bad as Toledo as well, if not worse. Toledo may not be doing good, but its not unique in what its going through, many cities in Ohio and across the country are doing much worse than Toledo.

Last edited by BelieveInCleve; 05-21-2009 at 11:24 AM..

Old 05-21-2009, 02:55 PM

89 posts, read 450,095 times
Quote:
You do hear about it in Lorain, youre just not here or paying attention. Lorain has to cut back on police force a lot also, probably the same percentage as Toledo Lorain fire, police cuts seen Morning Journal: Serving Lorain, Erie, Huron and western Cuyahoga counties . If you dont think our police force is corrupt youve obviously never been here before. Lorain police are always getting in trouble for selling/moving drugs, beating people, etc. On top of that the Lorain Police say they are seeing more heroin on the streets than any time before Heroin traffickers sought: Lorain police believe firebombing related to sellers of narcotic Morning Journal: Serving Lorain, Erie, Huron and western Cuyahoga counties (just one example).

Lorain had around 10 murders in 2007, Toledo only had 12 while Lorains less than 1/4th the size.

And yes, Canton and Springfield are just as bad as Toledo as well, if not worse. Toledo may not be doing good, but its not unique in what its going through, many cities in Ohio and across the country are doing much worse than Toledo.
springfield is rough looking little town, so is lorain. i been to lorain a few times and it is rougher than toledo in my opinion. i never had the pleasure of visiting canton, though. eastside cleveland is my original home and where my heart is, but man is it ghetto!

Old 05-23-2009, 12:28 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,765,677 times
I would agree that Lorain is a lot rougher than Toledo. I would say that more of Lorain (a bigger percentage of the city) is "rough/dangerous" than Toledo....Toledo still has many nice, family-friendly areas where I don't think I would live in any part of Lorain. I have cousins who live all over Lorain and cousins, aunts and uncles in Toledo....Lorain has been crime-infested since I was little (more than 40 years ago) while most of Toledo was very nice and safe back then. Parts of Toledo have gradually gone downhill (North area and South area near Broadway, as well as part of East Toledo going toward Oregon).
My grandparents lived on Beaumont in the old Polish village and it was a very nice area when I was little....mostly retired folks, neat lawns and well-kept small homes, sidewalks, large Maple trees....it's sad to hear that it has gone downhill so much as is now considered to be an unsafe area to live.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:06 PM

374 posts, read 1,124,649 times
In my opinion, I think people outside of Toledo who either know people in Toledo or been to Toledo a few times, but havent seen most of the city or those who go on city data and study crime statistics feel Toledo is a extremely safe city that doesnt even compare to their dangerous 3rd world country. Then there are those who love Toledo with a passion, live in nice neighborhoods with no crime and got pretty decent jobs that refuse to see this city going down hill so they ignore what is really taking place and say its the best place on earth. Then there are those like myself whose lived in bigger, rougher cities than the other cities listed in this thread such as Cleveland, Dayton, Lorain, Springfeld, Akron, Youngstown, Cincinnati, etc... and has either spent alot of time in Toledo or grew up in Toledo like myself who says Toledo isnt that bad, but at the same time seen similar situations and similar neighborhoods in Toledo as in places like Detroit, Chicago, Gary, Flint, etc.... Yes I feel Toledo has similar neighborhoods and you dont have to go far to see them... the corner of Detroit Ave and Central Ave (X-block) to me looks just as bad as Livernois and Davidson in Detroit.... After all Toledo is only 45 minutes away from Detroit, you dont think some of their problems effect us too???? Oh yeah not too forget the other group of people who think Toledo is indeed the most dangerous city on earth, NO Its NOt!!!! Im from Toledo, but any city the size of Toledo that had 13 murders in one year is far from the most dangerous.... But again Im from here so I know what is really going on anyway.... Again this is just my opinion.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo